Recently diagnosed with PCOS and trying to get the weight off

Options
Hi there! I was diagnosed with PCOS at the end of last year (along with breast cancer to accompany my 20-year standing ectopic endometriosis) and did about 6 months of treatment. As a result, it became pretty difficult to perform any real exercise without being exhausted 15 minutes in. I went from 130 pounds to 145 really quickly and I hadn't changed anything about my diet - in fact, I think I was eating less than ever because treatments just killed my appetite.

I'm done with my treatments (yay!) but now I'm trying to get back in the swing of things and get a real exercise routine going, along with dietary changes necessary due to the PCOS (no dairy, soy, and trying to avoid gluten and sugars). I started running about a month ago and I ran my first 7K last week that resulted in some pulled muscles in my lower leg which is putting me back on hold for serious cardio until it heals. In the meantime, I'm trying to limit my calorie intake to help offset having to dial back on serious exercise.

If anyone with PCOS has advice to share about diet, exercise, or just generally staying positive in the face of a really frustrating condition, I'd love to hear it! <3

Replies

• Jus_gem
    Jus_gem Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Firstly - great to hear you're done with treatments and doing better! My comments would be as follows, I hope they help.

Food types: I don't have PCOS but I do have endometriosis and have been recommended to follow a gluten free diet, I am about a week into adjusting my diet to be closer to gluten free and Paleo. I definitely feel better, more energy a little less bloated and like a fog has lifted. But it's too soon to tell.

Calories: A PT has recommended I eat MORE and from the sounds of it above you need to as well. More calories of the right food and fats, less processed foods and sugars. I'm struggling to adjust to that mindset but as I can't seem to lose a pound despite exercise I'm going to give it a try.

The bad days: just get up and exercise. Even your worst 30 min workout is better than 30 minutes on the sofa. It will release endorphin's and help you long run. You don't have to kill it every time. Celebrate the NSV progress too, notice how strong or fast you are getting.

Really looking forward to see what others are going to say!