Feeling frustrated..

Options
Sigh.....I'm starting to get really frustrated. This is the start of week 4. I've been weighing myself every Monday, and after an initial 8 pound weight loss in the first two weeks, I didn't lose anything the third week. Ok, I was a little upset, but I got back up and kept pushing forward. I weighed myself this morning and I'm back up 6 pounds seemingly overnight! How is this even possible!! I have a lot of weight to lose, and I have been mostly staying under my calories for the day. I've even added doing Zumba 1-2 times a week. I should have lost something, and I put on weight. Has anybody else experienced this?

Replies

• caryll4
    caryll4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How many calories have you been having, you might want to go 100 calories less to see if that works.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate daily due to all sorts of things, not related to actual fat gains. Water retention from sodium and exercise, (especially new exercise), hormones/time of month/PMS, digestion timing from previous meals, constipation, weighing yourself at a different time of day, using a different scale, weighing with clothes vs no clothes, drinking something before weighing etc etc etc.

Look at monthly trends and not so much daily/weekly. Compare your first weigh-in of the month with your last weigh-in of the month, to get a better idea of where you're actually at.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I would suspect hormones. You get a period? I always shoot up 4 pounds a day or two before and it comes off a day or two after.
  • CINDYR776
    CINDYR776 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    caryll4 wrote: »
    How many calories have you been having, you might want to go 100 calories less to see if that works.

MFP says I should be eating 1590 calories p/day. I've typically been in the 1450-1550 range.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    go get a food scale at the store today
    weigh yourself daily but log it weekly. this way you will learn how high sodium foods or alcohol affect you.
    monthly visitor will bring wreak havoc to your weight
    don't eat back ANY exercise calories. losing weight is 85% what you eat. 15% exercise.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. Weight fluctuations are totally normal. If you have been sticking to your calorie goals, it's almost certainly not fat (unless you are being extremely inaccurate with your logging). What it probably is, is water.

There are a number of things that can cause water weight increases:

1. Hormone fluctuations related to your menstrual cycle.
    2. Hot weather.
    3. Higher than usual sodium consumption.
    4. Starting a new workout routine or intensifying the one you already do.
    5. Eating more carbs than usual.

If it is water weight, it will fall off again in the next few days to few weeks.

Also, a good part of your initial 8 lbs in 2 weeks loss was water, because it is hard to lose that much fat in such a short period of time. So it makes sense that some of the water weight would come back.
  • CINDYR776
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate daily due to all sorts of things, not related to actual fat gains. Water retention from sodium and exercise, (especially new exercise), hormones/time of month/PMS, digestion timing from previous meals, constipation, weighing yourself at a different time of day, using a different scale, weighing with clothes vs no clothes, drinking something before weighing etc etc etc.

Look at monthly trends and not so much daily/weekly. Compare your first weigh-in of the month with your last weigh-in of the month, to get a better idea of where you're actually at.

So, I've been using the same scale and making sure I always weigh in before eating. I'm generally weighing myself at the same time of day (give or take a half hour). I was so under my calories yesterday that I had to find things to eat to make it over 1000 calories for the day. I did eat dinner pretty late last night (ate two chicken drumsticks and a serving of Halo Top ice cream at 10:30pm) since I had gotten to busy to eat at a regular hour.

If I look at the first weigh in 4 weeks ago to now, I've only lost 2 pounds. That is incredibly frustrating at my size. :(
  • CINDYR776
    Options
    weigh yourself daily but log it weekly. this way you will learn how high sodium foods or alcohol affect you.
    don't eat back ANY exercise calories. losing weight is 85% what you eat. 15% exercise.

Food scale is already on order with Amazon Prime ;) Although, I really think I've been over-estimating the amount of food I'm eating. It's possible I'm not eating enough. The food scale will help. I try not too eat all of my exercise calories, because I don't trust the calorie burn MFP puts on certain workouts (Zumba, for instance), but I will try not to eat any back to be sure. Thanks!
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    CINDYR776 wrote: »

Food scale is already on order with Amazon Prime ;) Although, I really think I've been over-estimating the amount of food I'm eating. It's possible I'm not eating enough. The food scale will help. I try not too eat all of my exercise calories, because I don't trust the calorie burn MFP puts on certain workouts (Zumba, for instance), but I will try not to eat any back to be sure. Thanks!

Using a food scale will most likely be shocking-it's crazy how easy it is to overestimate portion sizes! I'm several years into maintenance and I still use my food scale on a regular basis!
  • CINDYR776
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Take a deep breath. Weight fluctuations are totally normal. If you have been sticking to your calorie goals, it's almost certainly not fat (unless you are being extremely inaccurate with your logging). What it probably is, is water.

There are a number of things that can cause water weight increases:

1. Hormone fluctuations related to your menstrual cycle.
    2. Hot weather.
    3. Higher than usual sodium consumption.
    4. Starting a new workout routine or intensifying the one you already do.
    5. Eating more carbs than usual.

If it is water weight, it will fall off again in the next few days to few weeks.

Also, a good part of your initial 8 lbs in 2 weeks loss was water, because it is hard to lose that much fat in such a short period of time. So it makes sense that some of the water weight would come back.

Thanks! I'm thinking my hormones are all over the place this week, so that might be part of the culprit. I'm wondering if sodium intake is partly to blame as well. I had deli ham this weekend for the first time in weeks, and I had 2 cans of seltzer water at a party yesterday (didn't eat any food there). I'm just so discouraged because I thought I was doing so well.
  • CINDYR776
    Options
    I would suspect hormones. You get a period? I always shoot up 4 pounds a day or two before and it comes off a day or two after.

Yeah, that old nemesis should be coming around pretty soon. LOL
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @CINDYR776 When I first started using MFP and faced the question of food diary privacy, I decided to make it visible to the public. I think this gave me a layer of self-checking before I allowed such thoughts as "should have lost" to snowball into frustration By staying aware that others might be watching, I cared enough to log accurately. When I guessed or didn't care, I left a note for that day on the diary page. Just admitting that I didn't care was sometimes enough to snap me out of the funk. I don't know how I would have dealt with the wild and wacky process with a private diary. Maybe you can give the scary world a peek at your eats?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Keep doing what you're doing, get a food scale, you'll do ok!
  • CINDYR776
    Options
    CINDYR776 wrote: »

Using a food scale will most likely be shocking-it's crazy how easy it is to overestimate portion sizes! I'm several years into maintenance and I still use my food scale on a regular basis!

I'm excited for it to arrive! I want to see how accurate (inaccurate!) I've been :)
  • CINDYR776
    Options
    @CINDYR776 When I first started using MFP and faced the question of food diary privacy, I decided to make it visible to the public. I think this gave me a layer of self-checking before I allowed such thoughts as "should have lost" to snowball into frustration By staying aware that others might be watching, I cared enough to log accurately. When I guessed or didn't care, I left a note for that day on the diary page. Just admitting that I didn't care was sometimes enough to snap me out of the funk. I don't know how I would have dealt with the wild and wacky process with a private diary. Maybe you can give the scary world a peek at your eats?

Thanks! I did go WAYYYY out of my comfort zone and allowed my diary to be viewed by my friends, so that does give me a level of accountability. I'm not so sure I'm ready for the big scary world yet. LOL
  • CINDYR776
    Options
    Water weight. Keep doing what you're doing, get a food scale, you'll do ok!

Thanks!!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be happy you got a food scale. See what happens if you eat 1400 calories a day for a week.
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The food scale is going to make a heck of a difference. I tried going by the measurements and it worked to an extent. It was after I got a food scale that I really started seeing results. You'll be amazed with portions. Hang in there and good luck. It gets tough sometimes but don't give up!
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Also, I could never weigh myself on Monday as I workout a lot (water retention) and eat more (maintenance) on weekends. Are you sure this is the best day of the week to weigh in for you?