I'm a snacking machine!

Options
Hey everyone!

I seem to have a little problem with snacking. Whether it be 30 minutes after I eat, or if I'm just winding down for the night, I always feel like I need to munch on something. And honestly, I'm usually craving something pretty bad nutrition wise (usually sweet and salty lol).

So my question is does anyone have any remedies to help subside these constant cravings? Like, what have you heard of or what works for you?

Thanks in advance! And feel free to add me! I'm always looking for accountabilibuddies

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Well, this isn't probably health food, but when I need a sugar and salt combo, I help myself to a Nature Valley Protein Salted Caramel Nut bar. Ten grams of protein and 190 calories. Sometimes I just eat half. For some reason, that works for me. The trick is to stop eating after that. Good luck!
  • Hcordova96
    Hcordova96 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Same problem. 30 minutes after dinner I am looking for a snack.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I found something that is salty to me (v8 low sodium) and crystal light peach ice tea which is overly sweet to me...both super low calories that usually make me not want the snack I was craving. I also set aside some calories for snack before bed.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Some days I find myself in a snacking mood; and that's why I pre-log my meals, so I know how much I can nibble :)

I find that Nairn's oat biscuits satisfy the sweet/salty cravings nicely, for about 50 kcal each. Or alternatively Trek's protein chunks, which taste quite indulgent.
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    In the uk we have Fibre one squares , 3 flavours, Salted caramel, Chocolate brownie & Lemon drizzle all 87-90 cals each & satisfy cravings.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    OP, do you still hit your calorie goal for the day. That is what matters.

I personally am not happy sabotaging my days work with mindless snacking. I think you perhaps need to be more mindful about what you want to achieve and why you are doing it. CICO is not rocket science.
  • edlanglais
    edlanglais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all wrong with snacking...I actually love it. The issue is being proactive and intentional when at the store. It's been a lifestyle change for me. Smart popcorn mini bags, lightly salted popcorn, popcicles, cliff bar and Atkins snacks, apples....
  • xoxoniesha
    xoxoniesha Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    wimdroid wrote: »
    probably sounds cliche and boring but does a snack have to be prepackaged?

how about
    - apple, peach, nectarine,.... list of fruits you like
    - tomato, cucumber, carrot, celery....list of veggies you can eat raw
    - crispbread with low-fat cream cheese and radish/tomato/cucumber (whatever you want really) and seasoning
    - rye melba toast with low-cal jam
    - dehydrated and seasoned veggie crisps
    - yoghurt
    - seasoned hard boiled egg

etc, etc and 1000 examples more B)

and also true:
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    Why would you need a remedy for it? As long as you keep under your calorie goal for the day what does it matter if the source is from proper meals or snacking?

I agree with this! I found that when I include more fibrous foods (and season them well with herbs or spices or add some fun sauce like sriracha or gochujang) then I feel full during the day and don't have as many cravings. Also, my nutritionist recommends that I eat frequent small meals during the day, so it may feel like I am snacking a lot, but as long as the foods I'm eating are nutritious, I don't worry about it. I won't lie, transitioning to be able to do this made me cranky and feeling a little deprived of the sugar and salt that I used to love so much, but once I got used to it, I felt really good! Hope this helps!
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't actually hungry?

If not, then in addition to planning for snack calories and having decent macros, consider chewing on straws, toothpicks, gum, hard candies.
  • MikiFloofyPanda
    MikiFloofyPanda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My snack of choice is a fourth of a large cucumber with peanut butter on it.
  • Buhteestuh
    Buhteestuh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions on better/healthier snacks. I actually just cleared out my pantry and replaced it with some fresh fruit and some pretty exceptional granola/oatmeal bars.

I think my problem is that I do start snacking when I'm bored, it's actually a really bad habit that I'm going to focus on breaking.

I also haven't considered pre logging my meals so I'm hoping that it might actually help me be more accountable as to what I intake. It's not so much that I'm making my caloric goal, but more so that snacking just opens up a junk food gateway for me.

Thanks again everyone! And please keep the suggestions coming!
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You're going to laugh, but since cutting sugar my go-to snack has been dill pickles and olives.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm just a love machine...
    Haha i had to

Are you hungry or just bored? Maybe you don't have enough at your meals if you're hungry again 30 minutes after a meal.

Try occupying your hands and mind so you don't border eat. Maybe had a drink instead of eating so your mouth is occupied.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I made a habit of making hot tea after dinner and that's been a game changer for me. I didn't really like tea but I do now. Also, I keep grapes in the freezer and strawberries to snack in if I still want something.
  • holdthattigerrag
    holdthattigerrag Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a tall glass of water when you get those after dinner or night cravings and wait 30 more minutes. If you're still feeling hungry try eating some low calorie raw veggies and skip the dip/dressing. Keep sliced celery or radishes or whatever is your favorite on hand for this. I happen to like raw spinach a lot and will sometimes sit with a bag and eat leafs one at a time like potato chips. Eat the snacks you do choose slowly, slower than feels normal. You could also try sipping on a hot cup of low sodium chicken/beef broth. If you're hitting your calorie goal you obviously shouldn't be legitimately hungry 30 minutes after a meal. You could be mistaking hunger for something else or it could just be a mental habit you need to break.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love snacks too OP. I try to buy already portioned out things (e.g fun size chocolate bars) & just make sure they fit my day calorie wise. Other times fruit is awesome, or veg sticks with cottage cheese, or boiled eggs like others have suggested. Nothing wrong with snacking in my opinion, as long as you still meet your goals!