Am I Wanker?

Options
Soooo... this may be long winded, but i'm really curious.

I'm really lucky that my neighborhood has a nice little gym we can use, and that its almost never crowded. Last night I ran up to do my workout, and there were PEOPLE THERE! Like... 4 of them. :P I do a full body dumb bell routine as a circuit (I want that little extra burn).

Here is Day B:
8 Walking Lunges (each leg)
8 Overhead Press 8 Romanian Dead lifts
8 Lat Pull downs (i use the machine for that)
15 Russian Twists/10 arm curls (x2)
60-90 second rest, then repeat 3x

I realize... about half way through my 1st set of dead lifts, that people are staring at me... like.. out of the corner of their eye. At one point, someone starts holding their phone like taking a pic. I powered through my set trying to ignore them. I finished - and felt really good about my weight, routine, and effort. I don't care if they were laughing at me or not.

*FWIW* - I'm a guy and so were all of the people in the gym. 25lb dumbbells for each exercise except the twists/curls - 12lbs on those activities.

Finally - Here's my question... if you saw someone at the gym doing something blatantly ridiculous or incorrectly (like using a machine incorrectly), would you say anything?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good weight complex training routine you are doing! I've done a similar one in the past that didn't involve the twists or pulldowns but included squats and cleans. Kind of rude on the part of those other folks. They should tend to their own thing.

I generally won't say something to someone at the gym unless I think they are creating a hazard to themselves or others. And even then, I'd probably say something to a staff member. Sometime I'm biting my tongue watching some really rubbish form and useless mechanics but I've generally found that advice that was not requested is equally not appreciated.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I would only say something if it was clear that the person didn't know what they were doing and could risk hurting themselves or the equipment. For the most part, I default to leaving people alone.

That said, if somebody is doing a workout that looks interesting I'll definitely ask about it out of curiosity when they're done.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You don't sound like a wanker... They hate us cos they ain't us?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If there were people trying to use the same equipment, I wouldn't do a circuit. To be clear, I don't see a problem with using the 25s to do the lunges, presses, and RDLs. But having a little pile with the 25s and 12s while you do the lat pulldown is a bit rude IMO.

FWIW, I love supersetting and sometimes like doing a circuit. But I lift at home so I can do that all without affecting anybody else. I would superset at a gym if only there was nobody else waiting for the same equipment or if there were multiples of equipment.
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If there were people trying to use the same equipment, I wouldn't do a circuit. To be clear, I don't see a problem with using the 25s to do the lunges, presses, and RDLs. But having a little pile with the 25s and 12s while you do the lat pulldown is a bit rude IMO.

FWIW, I love supersetting and sometimes like doing a circuit. But I lift at home so I can do that all without affecting anybody else. I would superset at a gym if only there was nobody else waiting for the same equipment or if there were multiples of equipment.

Thank you! This is something of what i was worried about. No one seemed to be using the lat machine, but maybe when people are there, I need to do those outside of the circuit.

I'm pretty new to the gym life, so I definitely don't know the etiquette yet.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Rule 1: Don't hog the free weights

I'm not saying you were. I'm just responding to the part where you said you don't know gym etiquette. So if I walk in and you've horded a pile of 12lb, 15lb, 20lb and 25lb dumbbells in a little pile next to you for your workout, I'd be thinking "Dude, what the eff?"

Anyone else have any gym etiquette wisdom to share so that OP feels a bit more confident?
  • work_on_it
    Options
    Rule 1: Don't hog the free weights

I'm not saying you were. I'm just responding to the part where you said you don't know gym etiquette. So if I walk in and you've horded a pile of 12lb, 15lb, 20lb and 25lb dumbbells in a little pile next to you for your workout, I'd be thinking "Dude, what the eff?"

Anyone else have any gym etiquette wisdom to share so that OP feels a bit more confident?

Thank you! Good to know. I usually just have the 2 sets for day B, and only 1 set on A days, but i could still see where it could be an issue.
  • work_on_it
    Options
    Well that's not quite what I was expecting when I clicked on the title.

Do I even want to know what you were expecting? :tongue:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I would assume the pic was for inspiration, either because you look amazing, or because whatever you were doing is an exercise they wish to incorporate in their own routine.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Well that's not quite what I was expecting when I clicked on the title.

Lol! Me either
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    work_on_it wrote:
    Do I even want to know what you were expecting?

Let's just say it would be categorized as NSFW.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Okay, to answer your question, no, I would not say anything if someone was doing some silly stuff. I remember when I was new to the gym and a stranger coming over to criticize my routine would have rattled me to the point of giving up I think. Now that I've been at it for a while, I would welcome the comments of more experienced lifters but when I see new people I just smile if we make eye contact at some point and let them do their thing. Honestly, I have never approached anyone to say anything about their workout. I'm usually in the zone and only notice other people if they are being really loud or just plain ridiculous.

Side story: There was a guy who came to my gym for a while when I was new. He would show up in street clothes, stand behind women and stare at them through the mirror. NEVER direct eye contact but always through the mirror. He was never working out though. He would not break eye contact if you caught him staring. Not long after he showed up, he was asked not to return. The reason I am telling you this story is to point out what an actual wanker would be like at the gym. If you show up, work out and leave, you are totally fine.
  • work_on_it
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    The reason I am telling you this story is to point out what an actual wanker would be like at the gym. If you show up, work out and leave, you are totally fine.

woooooahh... that is beyond creepy... thanks for the comment and sharing!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    Okay, to answer your question, no, I would not say anything if someone was doing some silly stuff. I remember when I was new to the gym and a stranger coming over to criticize my routine would have rattled me to the point of giving up I think. Now that I've been at it for a while, I would welcome the comments of more experienced lifters but when I see new people I just smile if we make eye contact at some point and let them do their thing. Honestly, I have never approached anyone to say anything about their workout. I'm usually in the zone and only notice other people if they are being really loud or just plain ridiculous.

Side story: There was a guy who came to my gym for a while when I was new. He would show up in street clothes, stand behind women and stare at them through the mirror. NEVER direct eye contact but always through the mirror. He was never working out though. He would not break eye contact if you caught him staring. Not long after he showed up, he was asked not to return. The reason I am telling you this story is to point out what an actual wanker would be like at the gym. If you show up, work out and leave, you are totally fine.

What a freakin creeper! That's a good way to get hit upside the head with one of my 50lb dumbbells. Don't creep out the female lifters that use 50lb dumbbells cause guess what, we may actually have the strength to swing those things higher than you think! Fricken gym creepers. Don't mess with our gainz.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're a wanker...

For your other question. I would say something if I felt it was appropriate, you can usually tell by the person if they will be ok with that or not. The reason I would is because I'd want someone to tell me, I might not be getting the most I could out of it or I could actually injure myself.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    There is also a huge difference between going over to criticize someone and actually trying to be helpful. In your situation it doesn't sound like they were being very helpful.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    1. I would be unlikely to say anything, except in rare circumstances. I try to mind my own business.
    2. I don't think you were doing anything wrong
    3. Maybe they never saw anyone we originally as hard as you
    4. They should not be taking pics of you. It would be ok to say something about that.
    5. Was a staff member available? You could talk to them about the whole situation.

Keep up the great work!