Started exercising and dieting but not loosing weight.

Options
abbyortiz07
abbyortiz07 Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone, Ive been dieting on and off since the begining of the year but two weeks ago I started a new life style, I cut out all soda and fast food out. I was those person who would eat out 7 days out of the week. I got to the point where eating no longer made me feel good, I could not eat without feeling bad about myself. Im at 185 pounds, Im working out, 100 squats per day, Im doing youtube videos and I bough a kettle bell to help me but I have not lost one pound ☹️ anyone have any recommendations on what I can do or what I might be doing wrong?

let me add that I eat whole wheat bread one slice per day and im eating according to the diet plan i choose online. healthy green foods!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Cutting out soda and fast food will only generate weight loss if creates a calorie deficit. Do you know how many calories you're eating a day?
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You have to weigh and record what you're eating otherwise you have no idea how many calories you're consuming. What you eat does not matter, it matters how much. Too much "healthy" food will make you gain weight.
  • abbyortiz07
    Options
    Yes I am using this app and stay under 1,200 calories a day.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Working out, cutting out X foods, eating "clean" really don't matter at all for weight loss. It doesn't matter what you eat, it matters how many calories you eat. Get a food scale, weigh any solid you eat, count calories, eat at a deficit. It's really that simple.
  • abbyortiz07
    Options
    I also bought a scale to weight the food i cook. Im not eating any starchy foods either.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Don't panic! You're only into this for 2 weeks. Keep with the program, you'll see results soon.
  • poptropilanca
    poptropilanca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position. I try to stay at at least 1000 calories a day. I drink nothing, but water, and I exercise as much as I can (about 30 minutes a day). Are there any other suggestion?
  • abbyortiz07
    Options
    I am doing all of that ☹️ I have not cheated, I did my research and I measure all my foods. I eat salads without any dressing to avoid any extra calories.
  • Spliner1969
    Options

No idea what your stats may be (height, weight, age, activity level) but 1200 may be to strict. It also may not be accurate if you aren't weighing everything. You said you bought a scale so if you aren't using it yet, do so and keep at it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Please open your Food diary for us to take a peek. No way to know without a lot more info...we may be able to spot it.

How tall are you? What kind of work do you do? How old are you? What is your calorie goal? Do you eat more on those exercise days?

Open your diary to Public here (bottom of page)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • abbyortiz07
    Options
    Im looking for tips. should i exercise more?! I exercise twice a day (30-45mins) Should I lower my calorie intake? Should I try some prework out, if so which one do you all like best?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Two weeks is too early to get worried (especially since you may be retaining water to help your muscles recover from a new workout routine), but if you open your diary we may be able to help you improve your logging.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Please open your Food diary for us to take a peek. No way to know without a lot more info...we may be able to spot it.

How tall are you? What kind of work do you do? How old are you? What is your calorie goal? Do you eat more on those exercise days?

Open your diary to Public here (bottom of page)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
    Im looking for tips. should i exercise more?! I exercise twice a day (30-45mins) Should I lower my calorie intake? Should I try some prework out, if so which one do you all like best?

No way to give you tips that will be effective without the information requested by @cmriverside.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    You need a plan - under the home tab, MFP has a tab called goals with guided set up for how to get started (you enter your height, weight and how much weight you want to lose and it guides you into how to break it down calorie-wise by meal) .

You may have to log in via a lap / desk top computer to see all of the features it has there to help you.

Also consider an eating plan that cuts you way back on carbs / sugars that emphasizes healthy fat and protein - to assist with sculpting the body fat away and maximizing your muscles and reducing the water weight and cravings.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    You need a plan - under the home tab, MFP has a tab called goals with guided set up for how to get started (you enter your height, weight and how much weight you want to lose and it guides you into how to break it down calorie-wise by meal) .

You may have to log in via a lap / desk top computer to see all of the features it has there to help you.

Also consider an eating plan that cuts you way back on carbs / sugars that emphasizes healthy fat and protein - to assist with sculpting the body fat away and maximizing your muscles and reducing the water weight and cravings.

@Sunna_W this is not true at all. While there is macro adherence involved in body composition changes, it has nothing to do with going low carb or low sugar.
    Also to add, if I cut my carbs down low my lifting performance would suffer tremendously,.. not great for muscle retention now is it. Plus carbs can prevent protein breakdown and help recovery. I am sure people have found success with keto or low carb too, but believe me it is definitely not the only way or best way to lower bodyfat.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

You probably don't need to do any of that. With your stats, people here will be able to give you better advice, but TBH it sounds a little like you're making yourself do a miserable diet/exercise plan. In general, adding more workouts won't help nearly as much as getting a good rein on your diet. That being said, DO NOT LOWER your intake beyond your (already low) 1200/day. 1200 is a general minimum safe guideline, but depending on your height/weight/age you likely need more. Pre-workout and other supplements are largely unnecessary for the average person. Unless you have some specific body composition goals, the only thing you need to worry about is creating a healthy deficit, although it's a good idea to do some strength training and eat enough protein.

You can eat fat! No need to leave out dressing on your salad unless you don't like it. You don't have to eat salads! Have them if you like them, but you can eat steak and tacos, too. You don't have to exercise for 1hr+ every day (and definitely don't if you're eating super low calories). Exercise is great, it's fun, it lets you eat more food, but you will need rest days, too.

Chime in with your stats and open your diary and you can probably get better tips.