Recommended Fiber intake per MFP

Options
Has anyone noticed the LOW fiber recommendations on MFP? The average adult (including women!) should take in 25-35 grams per day, according to American Dietitic Assoc, at least (!) and MFP recommends 15 g for me. Strange huh? I just think this is interesting seeing how so many studies have shown how beneficial high fiber diets are for satiety, weight loss, chronic disease prevention and more!

Replies

• littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I noticed this too, so I went in and changed mine manually so that I was aiming for a higher fiber intake!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's low. I also manually adjusted mine.
  • slheflinVA
    slheflinVA Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that too. My fiber is only 14. A Fiber One bar and a serving of strawberries puts me at that already and that's just breakfast.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Me too - Ichanged mine manually. but, it is weird isn't it?!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yep--I adjusted mine, too. But it is strange. Maybe someone could ask the MFP guys to change it. The recommended amount varies according to age, gender, lifestyle, etc., but I'd say at least 20 would be better than 15!
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    I noticed this as well and thought it must be the minimum. Here in the UK the dieticians recommend 18 - 24 grams for women but I still think that is low unless you are a very small woman
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Why it has to be weird, MFP have put in there a normal number and you are the one that can change that number to the appropriate number you think as we all did. I changed the protein intake and fibers, so MFP puts an average number and then you can do the fix according to your health :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    Just changed my goal for fiber. Thanks for the heads up! And here I was all proud of myself for going over 16! LOL
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I was wondering the same thing...
  • VelcroPooh
    VelcroPooh Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm sure there are plenty of calculators out there, but here's one I just found fromm the US Department of Agriculture that calculates fiber for you based on sex, height and weight. It said 25 for me! Going to change mine now!

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/interactiveDRI/
  • VelcroPooh
    VelcroPooh Posts: 152
    Options
    And I was giggling a little when I saw that it would calculate all kinds of things for you, and one of them listed was arsenic!
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    And I was giggling a little when I saw that it would calculate all kinds of things for you, and one of them listed was arsenic!

You got to keep up with your arsenic levels, everyone knows that! HAHAHAHA!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    MFP's is definitely low. I aim for 35 :D
  • slheflinVA
    slheflinVA Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are plenty of calculators out there, but here's one I just found fromm the US Department of Agriculture that calculates fiber for you based on sex, height and weight. It said 25 for me! Going to change mine now!

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/interactiveDRI/

Great site! Thanks!
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    HAha whoa arsenic? That's hilarious! Good to know I can manually change that! Thanks =)