Feeling discouraged

Options
Haven't lost a pound in 3 weeks. Been staying well in my calories everyday and working out 3-4 times per week. I don't think I am drinking enough water. Any suggestions?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Haven't lost a pound in 3 weeks. Been staying well in my calories everyday and working out 3-4 times per week. I don't think I am drinking enough water. Any suggestions?

do you weigh everything you eat with scales?
  • audreyrose129
    audreyrose129 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

No i don't exactly weigh everything I eat. But when I cook I follow recipes and immediately portion the foot into the number of portions the recipe calls for.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

No i don't exactly weigh everything I eat. But when I cook I follow recipes and immediately portion the foot into the number of portions the recipe calls for.

you're not losing weight because you're eating more than you think.
  • audreyrose129
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I will start weighing my food immediately.
  • mattdavidhay
    mattdavidhay Posts: 10 Member
    Options

A food scale is one of the most important and effective methods of weight loss. Recipe calories can be useful, but knowing exactly how many grams/oz are in your food is such a help.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should drink more water. And if that gets boring, there are some flavored no or low calories options out there to help you stay hydrated. Cascade Ice is my current go-to. I also have some unflavored iced tea that's pretty satisfying. I agree with everyone that's recommended a food scale. What an eye-opener!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Are you using the recipe builder at least? You should be weighing food AND using the recipe builder. You're probably eating more than you think.
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that she is exchanging fat for muscle?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    shannie018 wrote: »

Unlikely.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Nope
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options

No i don't exactly weigh everything I eat.

Here is the problem then. I did an experiment. I took my protein powder and went by the serving size of two scoops. According to the label, two scoops weigh forty-three grams. Two full, level scoops actually weighed almost ninety grams. That means I would have been consuming twice as many calories as the label suggests.

Digital kitchen scales are cheap and widely available. I think if you go from measuring to weighing you'll see a difference.

• audreyrose129
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »

No i don't exactly weigh everything I eat.

Here is the problem then. I did an experiment. I took my protein powder and went by the serving size of two scoops. According to the label, two scoops weigh forty-three grams. Two full, level scoops actually weighed almost ninety grams. That means I would have been consuming twice as many calories as the label suggests.

Digital kitchen scales are cheap and widely available. I think if you go from measuring to weighing you'll see a difference.

Thank you so much for that example.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options

Not on the 3-week time scale.

Under perfect conditions, a quarter pound of muscle-mass gain per week would be a very good result for a woman. Perfect conditions would include a calorie surplus, a very challenging and well-designed weight training program, plenty of protein daily, adequate recovery, and relative youth.

OTOH, a quarter pound of weight loss per week would be almost unobservably tiny, especially over 3 weeks. It's around a 125-calorie daily deficit!

Someone starting a new exercise program (weights or otherwise) can see a little water weight gain in the first couple of weeks, and that may temporarily mask weight loss. But it will sort itself out with more time (2-4 weeks, usually) as fat loss outpaces the initial water weight gain.

Please note: People, especially those new to weight training, definitely can see strength gains while losing weight. This is largely from improvements in recruitment/efficiency of existing muscle tissue, rather than addition of new muscle tissue. They can also look a bit stronger, mostly from a pump effect,
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

LOL. No.