I have NO IDEA where to begin!!

I'm doing good on the nutrition side of weight loss but I am stuck on the excersize part! Don't get me wrong, I am super motivated and want to improve myself (I have been going on runs about 3 times a week). But I want to include other excersizes to lose some fat and gain muscle, and I have NO idea what I could do. I heard weight training but I only sort of know what that is, I also heard that weight training is pointless if you still have fat? Please please let me know anything that helped you! Cardio, strength training, lifting, etc! I'm new to this

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Do an internet search for female weight training. Pick a program and try it. If you like it, continue, if not, try another.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Do you have access to a gym with free weights? If not, do you have dumbbells at home? I started with videos like 30 Day Shred and The Firm, a mix of cardio and strength. What kind of exercise do you like to do?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Strength training is always valuable. It helps you retain muscle mass and gives you a better physique when you reach your weight goal. Progress in fitness kept me motivated throughout the loss process. I started strength training with 150 lbs to lose and am still doing it 3 yrs later. After working so hard at the gym, I didn't want to mess up my eating.
  • AntiSocialyte
    AntiSocialyte Posts: 28 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Strength training is always valuable.

Agreed. It doesn't matter how much you weigh, strength training is always good. Maybe do some research on different strength training programs and implement something that works for you. I prefer lifting really heavy with fewer reps, but that's just me.

Also look into physical activities like hiking, dance, cycling, martial arts, etc. Pick anything that sounds interesting and fun and try it out! Exercise is a lot more fun when it doesn't feel like exercise. :)

• alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    I started with You Are Your Own Gym (stayed with it for two years), but there's lots of programs that suit different priorities and tastes. Now I'm doing PiYO by myself and P90 with a friend. The former is flexibility and strength (challenging though) and P90 is mostly strength with some cardio.

Do some checking around, watch some preview videos, and good luck!
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Zumba is fun
  • Bexethan
    Bexethan Posts: 3 Member
    If you have access to a gym or place that does a Body Pump class...you should totally try it! The first class is ROUGH but I saw results after like 3 or 4 classes! I hate doing strength training in the gym on my own because I really have no idea what I'm doing and feel awkward and lost and like everyone is watching and judging. I think they have videos on youtube or other online sites too, if you just want to eyeball it up. It's basically weight training to music? It's my favorite class ever though. Hands down. Other than that, I try to get outside to run or walk daily (my job offered payroll deduction for garmins/fitbits and has challenges online with them that you can win gift cards and such with...so that's extra motivation! I think the garmin and fitbit sites have challenges as well) . I also super love FitnessBlender on youtube! And then I have a few videos I've had over the years that I do on occasion to change things up. The libraries around me have a decent selection of workout videos too, so you could try there as well if you want to just check out something new. I think the FitnessBlender/Body Pump/outside walk/run is my main thing though. Good luck!
  • ejohnson2478
    ejohnson2478 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks!! This helped a lot :) I definitely going to look for a Body pump class!
  • SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member
    If you have the balance, dance and aerobic workouts on YouTube are fun. There are also plenty of calisthenics options that can be used at home with more common equipment (or none at all). Swimming is my go-to, although if you're doing more than an hour a day you will likely have to increase your calorie intake to keep up with it (open-water tends to burn more due to colder temperatures and envrionmental factors such as current).