Engaged and at my heaviest

Options
Hi Everyone!
Last week I got engaged to the worlds most wonderful man! I am so incredibly excited! However, I am at my heaviest I have EVER been. A ring on the finger is a ton of motivation and I am back on the healthy eating/work out wagon big time. I am hoping to lose 40lbs in about 10 months. I think it is a very doable goal but I would love any advice you all have to offer!

Replies

• ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I did the same before my wedding. It is doable, but you need to keep that inspiration in your mind as your motivation. Every time you are faced with a temptation, remember - "Would this put me closer to wearing that dress, or farther away?" It really does work, if you're determined. Don't fall for fads, just work hard and eat very "clean", so to speak, and you'll be there before you know it. (Just be careful when actually getting the dress - anything more than about 2 dress sizes can be hard for a seamstress to alter, as I found out to my detriment.)
  • ph1881
    ph1881 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady! Set up a program that you can actually stick with consistently over ten full months. I.e., no juice cleanses or whatever. And plan to start eating maintenance a couple of weeks before the wedding. You won't have time at that point to lose enough weight to make a difference, and not being on a deficit will help you cope with the "home stretch." Also, I would set up a post wedding fitness goal, maybe sign up for a race or something? To try to keep up the momentum and not gain it all right back as a newlywed like I did. Good luck and congrats!
  • ansmit4642014
    ansmit4642014 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am also at my heaviest but my wedding will not be for 2 more years. Best motivation is to try on a dress
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I did the same before my wedding. It is doable, but you need to keep that inspiration in your mind as your motivation. Every time you are faced with a temptation, remember - "Would this put me closer to wearing that dress, or farther away?" It really does work, if you're determined. Don't fall for fads, just work hard and eat very "clean", so to speak, and you'll be there before you know it. (Just be careful when actually getting the dress - anything more than about 2 dress sizes can be hard for a seamstress to alter, as I found out to my detriment.)

"Clean" eating is not required (and somewhat of a fad imo) - OP, stick to calorie counting! Of course eating nutrient dense food most of the time is going to be good for you, but don't think you need to restrict certain foods to lose weight. What you put in place now should be more sustainable, especially if you want to maintain once the wedding day is over.

I lost 25kgs for my wedding in about the same amount of time as you've allowed - I took up weight training, and somehow found the motivation to stick to my diet consistently, which I'd never managed to do before.

I was having my dress made, and got to start from scratch 6 weeks before as I was able to wear different styles. (the dress had only been done in calico up to that point)

Remember that your husband to be is marrying you though, and obviously thinks you're an amazing person right now. Don't feel pressure to do this for anyone other than yourself!
  • spencervannette104
    spencervannette104 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You guys are the best! I am definitely conflicted about when to start looking for a dress. I know I will want to do a lot of custom things to it (dying some lace black etc) so I want to give myself plenty of time. But at the same time I don't want my body to be changing so much it doesn't fit well either.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You guys are the best! I am definitely conflicted about when to start looking for a dress. I know I will want to do a lot of custom things to it (dying some lace black etc) so I want to give myself plenty of time. But at the same time I don't want my body to be changing so much it doesn't fit well either.

I didn't find my dream dress in a shop (even after trying on 50ish), which is why I went to a designer to have it made for me. I was lucky we were able to start again as the end design was completely different to what I would have worn when I was bigger. (and it wasn't a traditional wedding dress.... It was black)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I am also getting married (next month eeeek) but I'm trying to not lose very much because I don't want to have to get my dress taken in hahah. 40 lbs in 10 months is VERY doable. My advice is keep coming back here. I find popping around in these threads is motivating. It helps to see so many other people going through the same thing as me.