Options
AngelaHuo
AngelaHuo Posts: 15 Member
Is this good for weight loss?

Replies

• lar25473
    lar25473 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Seconding what Alatariel75 said. A benefit of water is indeed that you will feel fuller which will help you eat as much, which in turn can help you lose weight by eating less. It also will hydrate you, keep your skin healthy, and aid in digestion.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    All that running to the bathroom could be good exercise, I guess. :D

Good hydration is helpful for weight loss, I think. And just good for you in general. Drinking a lot more water than you need, probably not very helpful. For me, a gallon would be far too much. For someone doing manual labor in the sun, it might be fine.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I usually drink about 8 glasses of water a day give or take. I also drink a lot of coffee, I've found if I don't drink enough water I don't poop regularly.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    BD_1960 wrote: »
    Yes, for me...all the comments above notwithstanding. As suggested by Stew Smith, (Navy SEAL trainer) I drink a liter at a time, 4-5 times a day. Combined with exercise and a calorie deficit, of course, it's been helping me lose weight, yes. Make up your own mind, though. I recommend reading Mr. Smiths take at Stewsmith.com. Power to you!

Not sure what training elite soldiers has to do with regular schmucks losing weight.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yeah I lost a lot of appetite when I did that for a few weeks. Also the urge to urinate every 20 seconds goes away after the first 3 or 4 days. Because I was full of liquid I was better able to gauge my hunger level (instead of my appetite when I was bored/sad/whatever). Also it really does help clear up your skin, alleviate bloating, and help regulate your bowels so I would say its worth it to at least try and then adjust again to whatever you feel more comfortable with. I started at a gallon and two weeks later I found my optimal level was around 1.5 gallons a day.

Hope that gave some insight :)
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Can't be bad for.
    If i have some vigerous workouts I can definately drink a gallon or more.

I say go for it
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    i always notice the ppl that say anything negative about anything healthy have the most discouraging profile pics.. like they live off of whoppers and high blood pressure meds...

anywho a gallon a day is awesome.. i can go over that if my exercises are especially intense.. also helps greatly with water weight!!

I beg to differ.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    There is no compelling evidence supporting the consumption of extreme amounts of water (a glass before a meal may help you feel fuller more quickly) in fact there can be negative health consequences as you risk stripping out essential electrolytes (think back to grade 10 science & osmosis) In really extreme cases people have died as a result of hyponatremia.

The average adult needs about 2 litres of fluids daily, much of which can be obtained from your food (most fruits & vegetable are mostly water). Trust your thirst.

^^This.

And don't forget that soda, coffee, tea, milk, juice etc. are just flavoured water and definitely contribute to hydration. :)
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    That seems like overkill unless you're sweating a lot or it's a really hot day. If drinking that much water, I'd make sure to consume adequate electrolytes to balance things out.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I tried drinking a lot more water than my usual yesterday... maybe 2litres and I dropped a full pound today so It's definitely going to get rid of the water weight. I then checked out websites about how much I should drink per day and it's apparently around 1 liter per 50lbs! They also say it boosts your metabolism but not sure how much truth is in that. Also, you would have to drink many liters in a short period of time to have water intoxication so I wouldn't worry. I don't think 1 gallon for a 200lbs+ person would be to much but maybe for a small person?
    I'm definitely going to up my water intake!
  • snickerscharlie
    edited July 2017
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »
    I tried drinking a lot more water than my usual yesterday... maybe 2litres and I dropped a full pound today so It's definitely going to get rid of the water weight. I then checked out websites about how much I should drink per day and it's apparently around 1 liter per 50lbs! They also say it boosts your metabolism but not sure how much truth is in that. Also, you would have to drink many liters in a short period of time to have water intoxication so I wouldn't worry. I don't think 1 gallon for a 200lbs+ person would be to much but maybe for a small person?

Drinking water does not boost your metabolism. Drinking water hydrates you, keeps you regular, helps with muscle repair from exercise and helps flush excess sodium (and the accompanying water retention) from your system. Pretty helpful things in and of themselves, but boosting metabolism isn't one of them. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    edited July 2017
    Options

Drinking water does not boost your metabolism. Drinking water hydrates you, keeps you regular, helps with muscle repair from exercise and helps flush excess sodium (and the accompanying water retention) from your system. Pretty helpful things in and of themselves, but boosting metabolism isn't one of them. :)

But it does effect on the amount of calories you burn..... The original definition of a calorie was the amount of energy needed to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. Albeit not a crazy amount calories unless you're drinking gallons and gallons of water, it does have an effect.

It's somewhere between 5 and 8 calories to heat up the cold water to reach your normal body temperature. With drinking a very normal 8 glasses a day, that would put you at 40-64 calories a day. If you are an active individual who drinks a lot of water, that could be 80-128 calories a day from drinking a gallon of cold water a day. Obviously this is not going to make or break you weight loss, but it does have an effect on the amount of calories you burn a day.

Any science behind this theory of yours that drinking cold water = measurably increased caloric burn? I'd be interested in reading that, even though the original statement was that drinking water boosts metabolism, which it doesn't.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

But it does effect on the amount of calories you burn..... The original definition of a calorie was the amount of energy needed to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. Albeit not a crazy amount calories unless you're drinking gallons and gallons of water, it does have an effect.

It's somewhere between 5 and 8 calories to heat up the cold water to reach your normal body temperature. With drinking a very normal 8 glasses a day, that would put you at 40-64 calories a day. If you are an active individual who drinks a lot of water, that could be 80-128 calories a day from drinking a gallon of cold water a day. Obviously this is not going to make or break you weight loss, but it does have an effect on the amount of calories you burn a day.

Would love to see any science behind this theory of yours. Even though the original statement was that drinking water boosts metabolism, which it doesn't.

I will leave the researching up to you since it sounds like you're super interested.

And people generally mean increasing calories burned without any exercise when they refer to metabolism.