AIr Fryer a wonderful thing!

Options

Replies

• chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I just got one and I am super excited about it. I'm personally not crazy about toaster ovens, so I am not seeing how it is a waste of counter space compared to it?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I think the gist is that an air fryer is just another "gadget", so if you have a general purpose utility like a toaster oven (or convection oven) already, then you can get similar results using what you already have.

I still think the air fryer is a neat idea, but agree that it's debatable if it's worth the counter top space. The more I think about it, the more I can get similar results by just lightly brushing oil on things and putting them on a rack in my oven. So not sure.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think the gist is that an air fryer is just another "gadget", so if you have a general purpose utility like a toaster oven (or convection oven) already, then you can get similar results using what you already have.

I still think the air fryer is a neat idea, but agree that it's debatable if it's worth the counter top space. The more I think about it, the more I can get similar results by just lightly brushing oil on things and putting them on a rack in my oven. So not sure.

don't rain on my parade
  • tamisteffens
    tamisteffens Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    LOL, it's really all relative. If you will not use one, then yes, it's a waste of counter space. I know of several people though that cook almost exclusively in their air fryer, so I guess for them it would not be wasted space. I use mine quite a bit, but there are some things that when I want fried I really want to fry, so I do.

The concept of air frying vs. convection oven is basically the same. The difference is in the shape, which allows the hot air to swirl around your food, supposedly allowing more even heating or whatever. I've honestly never had/used a convection oven so I can't compare, I'm just repeating what I've been told.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I love mine also. I have high cholesterol so I quit eating anything fried. Plus for myself, although it's another appliance taking up more space, it's smaller than a toaster oven and quicker plus more energy efficient than preheating my oven.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Question, how easy or hard are they to clean?
  • NewMeSM75
    Options

From my experience, mine is easy. It's non stick so washes out very easily.
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have a Della brand and love it! Clean up is so easy and everything I have tried has came out crispy and yummy, including chicken wings!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options

Very easy. I usually just wipe mine out with a dry paper towel. Every 3rd or 4th use I hand scrub with a little Dawn to get any build up I notice. Cannot put in the dishwasher.
  • dabearo
    dabearo Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Very easy. It goes in the dishwasher. Done.

Made a nice piece of fish in mine today in 6 minutes. Yummy.

• dabearo
    dabearo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Two of My mini loaf pans fit in mine. We make a lot of items in them. Meatloaf, egg dishes, enchiladas.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I just caved and bought a gowise air fryer (3.7 lt) because it's prime day. Also got a 7" rack to put inside that I imagine myself putting everything on. Things I'm going to be trying: Quest protein chip battered fish, fish, mushrooms, and if I can practice enough self control perhaps chimichungas.

Really hoping I can get some low fat mozz sticks made using quest protein chips as batter as well

http://www.singaporehomecooks.com/2014/07/airfried-homemade-mozzarella-cheese.html

dabearo I'm anti dishwasher. I wash all dishes by hand. Always have, always will, till the day I die.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I bought the Tfal one and love it although it is limited what you can cook in it due to the paddles that move the food around. Sometimes the food gets crushed. The one pictured earlier in this thread looks better. For what it's worth I have a convection oven and like the Tfal results are better. More like fried food. No matter how you slice it it won't taste quite the same but if you are wanting fried without the calories it's worth a try. Mine cleans up easy and I store it in the pantry so no counter space issue.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    gpsyblue wrote: »
    7k63wr2ene88.jpg
    This is the air fryer I got it is the xlarge size to cook for more than one person. They do have small ones for single folks.8eme9oyhw5z3.jpg
    This is some homemade eggrolls made with 1 tsp of oil.

That is the same one I have. I love it. I hardly ever turn my oven on now. I do not need deep fried food, so having crispy fries or sweet potato fries from the air fryer works great for me. I cook almost anything that I would bake in my air fryer.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Someone please post either your favorite air fryer recipes or favorite website to find them :)

I plan on dredging chicken breast in buttermilk protein pancake mix and egg, then topping it with sugar free syrup.

I also plan on dredging chicken or shrimp in corn starch and egg to make a base for sesame chicken

I am also considering dredging shrimps in coconut flour and/or defatted coconut shreds to make coconut shrimp.

Can I use coconut oil in an air fryer? How does adding oil work?
  • NewMeSM75
    Options
    Someone please post either your favorite air fryer recipes or favorite website to find them :)

I plan on dredging chicken breast in buttermilk protein pancake mix and egg, then topping it with sugar free syrup.

I also plan on dredging chicken or shrimp in corn starch and egg to make a base for sesame chicken

I am also considering dredging shrimps in coconut flour and/or defatted coconut shreds to make coconut shrimp.

Can I use coconut oil in an air fryer? How does adding oil work?

From most of the recipes I see. After you coat your meat, you then spray lightly with oil. I will see if I can find a good website for you. If you have facebook, there is a couple pages on there.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Thanks. I'm seeing that too, so it looks like the concept is to get a "fried like texture" without the oil, and most recipes just use a spritz of 0 cal non stick spray. I might invest in some omega3 spray butter or something if I can find it at the supermarket. This is all kind of interesting. For some reason I thought the air fryer would swirl hot oil around in a vortex of flavor.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I bought the Tfal one and love it although it is limited what you can cook in it due to the paddles that move the food around. Sometimes the food gets crushed. The one pictured earlier in this thread looks better. For what it's worth I have a convection oven and like the Tfal results are better. More like fried food. No matter how you slice it it won't taste quite the same but if you are wanting fried without the calories it's worth a try. Mine cleans up easy and I store it in the pantry so no counter space issue.
    The Actifry? Just take the paddle out then manually rotate your food with tongs about halfway through for things that might get crushed.

I've had the TFal Actifry for about five years. LOVE it. Use it at least twice a week but some weeks it never leaves the counter.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm seeing that too, so it looks like the concept is to get a "fried like texture" without the oil, and most recipes just use a spritz of 0 cal non stick spray. I might invest in some omega3 spray butter or something if I can find it at the supermarket. This is all kind of interesting. For some reason I thought the air fryer would swirl hot oil around in a vortex of flavor.
    Some things like chicken wings or higher fat meats don't need any oil but some things absolutely do like making fries with raw potatoes. If there is no oil they'll be pillow rocks. For 2lbs of potatoes I drizzle about a tablespoon and a half of olive oil on them. Comes out to something like 110 calories for an 85 gram serving which is a decent handful. For homemade tortilla chips I hit the top with spray olive oil, salt, stack the next one, spray, salt, stack, repeat. There *might* be a half tablespoon of oil for a large pile of chips. (like 10 corn tortillas) For frozen potstickers I put a tablespoon of water in the bottom of the pan and hit the top lightly with spray olive oil.