Whole 30 July 2017

2»

Replies

• changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    I had: paleo oatmeal with berries, a large egg, paleo creamer and coffee for breakfast. Lunch was shrimp, mashed cauliflower and sautéed kale with a sliced peach. I had an RX bar to tide me to dinner. Made cilantro lime cauliflower rice with taco seasoned beef, pico, romaine, wholly guacamole and salsa.

Steak and eggs sounds sooo good for breakfast!
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Ooh, what's in paleo oatmeal? Is it cauliflower?
  • changeconsumeme
    MidModJenn wrote: »
    Ooh, what's in paleo oatmeal? Is it cauliflower?

It's this recipe: http://cookeatpaleo.com/how-to-make-paleo-oatmeal-mix/
    Servings: 8 servings
    Author: Cook Eat Paleo
    INGREDIENTS
    1 cup almond flour packed (120 grams)
    1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt

HOW TO MAKE PALEO OATMEAL MIX
    Pin
    SHARES 10K
    I was making my no-oat paleo “instant oatmeal” for breakfast the other day, and I realized it would save time to make a big batch of oatmeal mix for the week.

How To Make Paleo Oatmeal Mix | Cook Eat Paleo

I'm almost through my first batch — I love the convenience of having it ready to go in the mornings. Here's how to make your own paleo instant oatmeal mix.

This recipe is super simple. All you have to do is mix together the dry ingredients for the paleo oatmeal recipe. Since this is a grain-free n'oatmeal, the dry ingredients are just almond flour, unsweetened shredded coconut, cinnamon and sea salt.

How To Make Paleo Oatmeal Mix | Cook Eat Paleo

To make your instant oatmeal, just mash half of a banana in the bottom of a cereal bowl, stir in a scoop of the oatmeal mix and some nut milk, and pop it in the microwave.

When it's done, top your paleo oatmeal with all your favorite oatmeal toppings. I like fresh blueberries, chopped walnuts, and real maple syrup.

Make this oatmeal mix over the weekend and you'll have a quick and easy hot breakfast to make at home. Or an easy portable gluten-free, dairy-free breakfast to make in the microwave at work. This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.

Print
    HOW TO MAKE PALEO OATMEAL MIX
    Servings: 8 servings
    Author: Cook Eat Paleo
    INGREDIENTS
    1 cup almond flour packed (120 grams)
    1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt

INSTRUCTIONS
    Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl.
    Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
    RECIPE NOTES
    TO MAKE 1 SERVING OF PALEO "INSTANT OATMEAL"

1/2 banana
    1/4 cup paleo oatmeal mix
    1/3 to 1/2 cup cashew milk

Mash banana in bottom of bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Microwave 1 - 2 minutes, until hot and starting to bubble. Stir and let stand a couple of minutes. It will thicken slightly as it cools. Serve with your favorite toppings.

It turned out a little soupy, so I might throw some sunflower seeds in there or something to bulk it up.
  • Jessms26
    Jessms26 Posts: 32 Member
    The steak and egg was a perfect breakfast! Definitely what I needed on day 1! I'll probably have it again tomorrow! Dinner was microwaved steamed veggies and I may have a banana too. Now I have to get prepped for tomorrow
  • Jessms26
    edited July 2017
    Breakfast was steak and eggs again. Lunch is grilled balsamic chicken, veggies, almonds, and an orange. Dinner will be chili!
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 255 Member
    I think you need veggies for breakfast too. Here is the meal template for Whole30. Eating veggies for breakfast was the hardest thing to get used to.

Today I have a spinach salad with a hard boiled egg on top of it with Tessamaes dressing.

ma6m20vza8b6.jpg
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 255 Member
    Sorry wasn't sure how to make that smaller...lol

But you should do this for every meal.
  • SRSLY_Paleo
    SRSLY_Paleo Posts: 5 Member
    W30 Round 4 here! Resetting my sugar dragon which can really get out of control quickly for me. I follow a Paleo template for the most part so W30 dials in the details for me.

I started on 7/10/17, hubby will join on 7/17 so I'll get a Whole37. :blush:
  • Jessms26
    Adding in veggies for breakfast is going to be tough. I'll have to look into what I could add! I have a hard time eating breakfast as it is, but maybe I could add some veggies with my egg.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    My lessons learned from Whole 30:

1) DON'T Skimp on fat and protein. Veggies are great for filler and since I did mine in June (about 3 years ago), I had a ton of fresh berries in season and I ate a lot of them. Whole 30 hunger comes on fast and strong after a meal if you didn't have enough fat. This isn't a plan where you can do lots of lean meat and veggies and expect to feel okay. Eat some avocado and tree nuts, etc!

2) Hang in there with the carb fatigue/headaches. I wasn't eating many processed carbs to begin with, so I didn't really have issues, but some people in my group had major ones on days 2-5.

3) Cooking doesn't have to be complicated and it doesn't require any special ingredients. A typical breakfast for me was 3 pieces of bacon, 3 fried eggs, a veggie like zucchini or asparagus, and some berries or stone fruit. Lunches and dinner were beef/chicken/seafood and a sauté of whatever vegetables I had in the house. W30 complaint convenience foods are fine in small doses, but don't depend on them for the bulk of your meals.

4) Sure, it's 'only' 30 days, but it can be a loooong 30 days. Just hang in there and get creative with your food and you'll be much happier with it. Try veggies that you normally wouldn't buy or maybe a different way to cook a protein. Don't be afraid to eat enough - possibly more than you think you should. I wasn't counting calories when I did mine, but I definitely ate more food than normal and lost about 8 pounds.

5) If you crave soda, try plain unflavored seltzer water and add in fruits, veggies, or herbs. I have a great love for carbonation and some of my favorite combos are strawberry cucumber, pineapple mango, mixed berry, fresh lime, or just vanilla (a section of a split vanilla bean).

6) If you can recruit others join you, doing a meal exchange is fun and easy! Everyone batch cooks a W30 dish and then trades the portions. You get the benefit of meal prep without having to eat the same thing several days in a row.

Good luck!
  • changeconsumeme
    edited July 2017
    I felt super crappy today. I think part of it is the stark realization that I need to eat more. I felt really hungry very quickly after meals!

I'm adding 100g sweet potato to breakfast, 2oz avocado to my lunch, and an extra "emergency snack" of prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe.

I went to make a good choice today during my full blown hunger melt down and bought a pack of cashews. Wasn't til after I'd consumed half of it before I realized that they were coated in peanut oil. Grr!

Read your labels! Even the most innocuous of snacks can be deceiving.
  • changeconsumeme
    I created a W30 group! I didn't realize there wasn't a dedicated group for W30.
  • jskeen
    jskeen Posts: 1 Member
    I started on 7/11. I've been eating coffee with coconut milk, sauteed asparagus, 3 eggs, and 1/4 and avacado for breakfast, a chicken breast and green beans or sauteed zucchini and an apple and cashews for lunch and the same for dinner (minus the apple and cashews). I'm sure I'll get bored and want ro mix it up eventually, but simplicity and meal prep is so necessary for me. Anyone else having difficulty sleeping? I'm feeling good otherwise.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Sleep disruption is super tough the first week or two. My husband and I bought some Natural Calm at Whole Foods (recommended by W30 for this) and it helped. Just be sure to take the small dose they recommend and work your way up... too much and it'll act as a laxative! LOL