How long do you usually spend in the gym?

Options

Replies

• sjmanfre
    sjmanfre Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    3 days a week and usually no more than an hour lifting. Maybe 1.5 hrs if I feel lucky. Gym for me is lifting mostly. 3 other days a week or more I'm doing cardio outside like biking, jogging, tennis, etc. My job still plays a factor in when I can make it to the gym. My main focus currently is the cardio workouts! Burn them calories MFP friends!!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    However long it takes. Could be 30 minutes, could be three hours. I get in, get my program done and get out.
  • curvesfordays8907
    curvesfordays8907 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    40 mins to 1 1/2 hrs depending on what I'm doing.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    doing actual workout gym stuff : anywhere from 30- 60 minutes. doing other stuff like stretching, jacuzzi, splishy splashy in the pool, steam room, etc can be additional 60-90 minutes
  • mmphelps1970
    mmphelps1970 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    30-40 mins/day. I hit it hard with HIIT cardio half the time, and bodyweight intervals the other half. Boom! Done!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    2 hours 60 min of cardio and 30 min strength training. Then I treat myself to the massage chairs at pf.

That last part is SO ME...."How many coins would you like ma'am?"....as many as y'all give me sir :D
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    4x per week 1.5 to 2 hours including warm up, workout, and cooldown.

20min - warm up, dynamic stretching, cooldown

60-90min - resistance training around 5min break breaks between sets and sometimes waiting for a bench. Why is it only the bench I have to wait for? Deadlift/Power clean platform always open and same goes for the squat racks.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i like it in there. if i'm crunched i can just zoom in, do my 5/3/1 workout of the day in not-doing-*kitten* style and zoom out. but if i have the time, i do just like the atmosphere unless it's packed. i sort of wander around thinking up other little things to do too. kind of like when you drop a few incidentals into your cart at the grocery store checkout point.

same kind of thing, really. go in on a mission, do the big grownup stuff, and then browse.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Usually an hour but sometimes two
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    60 to 90 minutes. Warm up, weights, cardio, cool down and stretches (3 days per). OR cardio, cool down and stretches (two days). Until my Achilles heels and then running, outside, three days and the weight routine, sans cardio, in the gym, until the weather turns, then, see above.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Actually doing things, 35-45mins.
    Add in getting changed, shower etc... more.

Because of where my (brilliant) gym is, I can only really go at lunchtime, so I just have to power through my weights and get back to the office.
    My programme currently has me supersetting, with 2 batches of 3 exercises in each workout (so rotating between 3 different exercises for 3 sets, then another 3 exercises for another 3 sets), no dedicated rest time. I also do a bit of foam rolling at the beginning, and stretching at the end.
    It's tough but works best for me.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    45 minutes - 75 minutes depending on what I'm doing. This is 5 days a week. I have 3 young kids, got other crap to get done.
  • Carl_Carlson
    Carl_Carlson Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Before I quit power lifting I'd spend 1 1/2 hours three times a week in the gym. Then another hour every day with ice packs and heating pads.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Minimum 40 minutes if I'm over scheduled, left to my own devices 90. I go 6-7 days a week.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    30-60 min, 5-6 times per week
  • girlgeeklula
    girlgeeklula Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Not the gym specifically (though I'd use a gym if I had a membership), but I dedicate 1-2 hours for workouts in the morning so I can get the distances I want as a walker but also not have it cut into my time to prep for work and get stuff around the house done.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    1.5-2 hours lifting, 5-6x per week.
    Around 45 minutes for warm up/working sets on my main lift (squat/bench/deadlift, separate days), and 45-60 minutes on hypertrophy work. Sometimes 30-45 min cardio after, but I usually do cardio in the AM and lift in the PM.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The only thing I do in the gym is lift 2-3x per week...I'm typically in and out in 60 minutes.

My cardio is mostly cycling...usually 4-5 days per week anywhere between 30-60 minutes and usually a bit longer ride on a Saturday or Sunday. I also like hitting up the rock climbing gym on weekends...I usually spend a couple hours their monkeying around and like to go on the occasional hike, but that's most often reserved for when we're camping.

I think spending hours in the gym is a waste, particularly if you're not following some kind of very specific training protocol...more isn't always better.

ETA: if I'm going to spend hours being active, it's going to be "play"...rock climbing, hiking, site seeing ride, etc...spending hours in a gym sounds like torture.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    My gym is in my garage, I'm typically there for 45 minutes 5x per week