Gaining weight on 1200 calorie diet

Options
So I've been following the MyFitnessPal plan for 3 weeks now and I'm not seeing any progress. I am vegan and eat pretty healthy on a daily basis. I've only had about 2-3 slip ups where I went way over my calorie goal for the day. I also run 2-3 times a week for about 20 minutes. I track my runs on the app and eat more to compensate for them. But even after doing all of these things I've managed to not lose a single pound and instead gain 4 pounds. I don't understand where the problem is. This is quite frustrating and makes me just want to quit and eat whatever I want if I'm just gonna gain weight anyway.

Replies

• mayerss2
    mayerss2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Most of the food I eat is scanable except for my veggies. So I am picking the right products but I do not own a food scale and just guess most of the time
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    What is your normal weight range? Everyone has a range of a few pounds (at least) and your weight fluctuates up and down constantly in response to a ton of factors. Of that 4 pounds, how much can be accounted for by your normal fluctuation range?
  • mayerss2
    mayerss2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean - That's a good idea. And if I shouldn't scan the food, what should I use?

@AliceDark - I'm not sure because I don't weigh myself often and over the year my weight has fluctuated a lot, from 150 to 120 to 100 and now to 135
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If you truly are gaining weight while only eating 1200 calories it is best to seek medical attention. My guess is that you are eating much more than you think you are. Weight every solid food that enters your mouth, including prepackaged food, with digital kitchen scales and use measuring cups and spoons for all liquids.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    mayerss2 wrote: »
    @livingleanlivingclean - That's a good idea. And if I shouldn't scan the food, what should I use?

@AliceDark - I'm not sure because I don't weigh myself often and over the year my weight has fluctuated a lot, from 150 to 120 to 100 and now to 135

Scanning the food is ok, but you still need to check that the entry is correct, and weigh the food to see how much you're actually eating. Let's say you had a single serving of a scannable product that should be 50g. You may find that it's more or less when you weigh it - you need to adjust the serve you have to reflect this difference
  • mangofish44
    mangofish44 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than 1,200 calories. You said you scan all your food. Do you do any cooking or is it all prepackaged / pre made? I cook most my food and have lost a fair amount I. A month.

What exactly are you eating over past two days?
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    mayerss2 wrote: »

Get a kitchen scale. You can find decent ones starting around $10.
    I was having the same issue until I started weighing everything, and realized I was more than double what I thought I was eating.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The thing is even if the OP is scanning the food and using the measurements something is off.
    20 mins running 2-3 days is a good little workout.

And 1200 cals is very low, especially for a runner.

And on top of that, you're a vegan?

OP, I think you need to see a doctor.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    rmgnow wrote: »
    The thing is even if the OP is scanning the food and using the measurements something is off.
    20 mins running 2-3 days is a good little workout.

And 1200 cals is very low, especially for a runner.

And on top of that, you're a vegan?

OP, I think you need to see a doctor.

she admitted she is guessing the weight of a lot of her food - that is what is off!
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've always found scanning my food as inaccurate. I try to weight everything. When I do, I also try to weight in Grams since Ounces are can also be off by a little