What do you like to mix with your protein shake?

Options

Replies

• Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk, espresso powder, sugar free pudding powder, PB2, frozen fruit, cookie butter, pumpkin puree, spices (like cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.) or flavorings/extracts (like peppermint, vanilla, maple, etc.), nuts, oats, etc.

Basically, anything that sounds good at the time.

I used to buy different flavors of protein powder, now I just stick with vanilla and add in the flavors I want from other sources.

Protein shakes are a source of creativity in my kitchen. :smiley:
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hope, determination, and gas-x. Oh -- and water.

I like to use the tears of my foes.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Every Morning:

- 1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
    - 1/2 Scoop Isopure Unflavored Protein Powder
    - 3 Cups Spinach
    - 1/3 Cup Greek Yogurt
    - 1/3 Cup Frozen Blueberries
    - Literally 2 inches of a Banana

Blend.

Fills me up through my 11 AM workout, tons of protein and fiber, not too bad on the sugar, tastes great. Round 300 cals.
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I like the chocolate protein powder, with frozen cherries, banana, and unsweetened cocoa powder to make a black forest type of smoothie. I might even mix in some spinach to get some greens in there, as I can't really taste it. Today I tried an interesting mix of frozen blueberries, cranberry juice (low sugar), silken tofu, vanilla, and vanilla protein powder. If you like the taste of cranberry, you will like this. This is going into my mix of smoothies.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Pre-workout - Chocolately whey with iced coffee
    Post workout - Usually a protein blend (currently Combat Powder) with banana and whatever other fruit is on hand (strawberries, blueberries)
    I also mix whey into oatmeal and greek yogurt.

I have to try that! Do you notice a big difference with recovery and muscle growth when you do Pre and Post workout shakes?

Not necessarily. It's really just a convenient whey* to get my daily protein intake.

* See what I did there?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    My smoothie today had 35 grams of protein and not a bit of protein powder.

pwp0z7ycou79.png

Mrm - 100% All Natural Veggie Protein = Protein Powder.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    fatvegan88 wrote: »
    Cold brew coffee and chocolate protein. Mocha for the win.

I like the sound of this.

I often have vanilla casien powder with skimmed milk, poured over ice and then a double shot of cold brew, espresso strength coffee.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like the ideas w/ coffee though. I never thought of that.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options

amanzrwtgrl5.png

• BusyMomma_RH
    BusyMomma_RH Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hope, determination, and gas-x. Oh -- and water.

Haha YES!
  • BusyMomma_RH
    BusyMomma_RH Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout - Chocolately whey with iced coffee
    Post workout - Usually a protein blend (currently Combat Powder) with banana and whatever other fruit is on hand (strawberries, blueberries)
    I also mix whey into oatmeal and greek yogurt.

I have to try that! Do you notice a big difference with recovery and muscle growth when you do Pre and Post workout shakes?

Not necessarily. It's really just a convenient whey* to get my daily protein intake.

* See what I did there?

LOL! It does make a lot of sense when you put it that Whey! :smiley:
  • uleij
    uleij Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love doing a half of a frozen banana with 8oz almond milk and use a hand mixer. It's like a milkshake. Mmm. I use gold standard chocolate or strawberry.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

amanzrwtgrl5.png

I was going more for Conan than bane.

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options

I only started doing it when my trainer was snooping on my MFP and complaining that sometimes I had a protein shake AND a latte in the mornings.
    Took me another 2 days to realize I could have the barista dump the coffee straight in there...

It's 100% the way forward!
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »

I only started doing it when my trainer was snooping on my MFP and complaining that sometimes I had a protein shake AND a latte in the mornings.
    Took me another 2 days to realize I could have the barista dump the coffee straight in there...

It's 100% the way forward!

Pretty much me. I alternate between flavors of protein powder (cappuccino, chocolate, cinnamon, and vanilla), but mix them with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and cold brew coffee. Sometimes I add a sugar free syrup for more flavors. Love my protein lattes.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I like coffee strong, and found that a starbucks via worked well with my vanilla whey PP w crushed ice. Like a coffee gelato. mmm. Also cocoa powder. I do the yogurt & frozen banana or berry things too. Good with a shake of cinnamon. But my greek yogurt doesn't go with cocoa powder at all. Ackgh!

Full disclosure, when I realized that my greek yogurt has the same calories/protein as my whey PP (almost identical macros), I realized I enjoy my yogurt with fruit more. But its nice to have a protein fluff or gelato for a change of pace (or when we ran out of yogurt).

Cheers!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Vanilla whey protein powder made with coffee instead of plain water. It has to be mixed cold so I make the coffee in my shaker and leave it in the fridge overnight.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I've found that instant coffee works as good as brewed coffee. Just toss it in with your protein powder and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My smoothie today had 35 grams of protein and not a bit of protein powder.

@JeromeBarry1 The Mrm - 100% All Natural Veggie Protein looks suspiciously like a protein powder to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    water