Food is self harm

Options
Sometimes I feel like when I eat because I'm stressed it's self harming and i feel like no one would understand because it's not comfort eating it's more like putting a knife to my wrist and cutting except I don't allow myself that option and somehow years of being taught that food is the enemy has accumulated as food being a way to hurt myself and tell myself that I'm useless and worthless and it terrifies me

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    There is help out there.

There is help here.

There is a way out.

You are worth the self-care. Be kind to you. Be your own best friend.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    You think you're alone but you're not. It's pretty common. Deep breath. Food is fuel. And yes, binge eating or stress eating IS self harm.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Between the username and your post, I suggest you speak with a professional about your mental state.
  • EloquentSelfLoathing
    EloquentSelfLoathing Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Between the username and your post, I suggest you speak with a professional about your mental state.

I tried but they didn't get it cause I'm "skinny" :(
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Sorry you feel like this :( Is there anyway you could get booked in with a counsellor? Does you place of work have an occupational health department?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options

Then find someone who will take you seriously and help you
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Check your phone book. Make an appointment with a therapist. A good counselor will not brush off your concerns because you're "skinny." Explain your thought process regarding food thoroughly, emphasizing that you're thinking about it as self-harm. That wording should be the red flag that gets someone to listen to you.
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options

There are places that can help. Sounds like you might need someone who specializes in DBT as well. Call your insurance company and they can give you a list of people who specialize.
  • EloquentSelfLoathing
    EloquentSelfLoathing Posts: 20 Member
    Options

There are places that can help. Sounds like you might need someone who specializes in DBT as well. Call your insurance company and they can give you a list of people who specialize.

I don't have an insurance company - I'm in the UK so on nhs, queue for free counselling is 6-12 months unless I go private which is expensive :(
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I don't have an insurance company - I'm in the UK so on nhs, queue for free counselling is 6-12 months unless I go private which is expensive :(

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/drugs-and-treatments/talking-treatments/finding-a-therapist/#charity

There are more free services out there :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Options

Or find a support group... I know some support groups make the problem worse by consolidating the issue, but talking to other people who are walking where you are in a structured/guided setting can be helpful too.