I'm failing, feeling like I'm letting myself and everyone down

Options
My weight is up again, it's all I am thinking about. I have just started tracking again because this last weight gain has scared me. I stopped tracking and my job is now much more sedentary, so I know I did this to myself. I have to lose weight and I'm sinking. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Replies

• ivetastic
    ivetastic Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    @Gram1959 been there as well! I'm back and working hard to get my health, my body and my old self back and so are you. You're here so that's a great first step!!!! It's been said that it takes about 21 days to start a new habit so start a routine even if it's something small to get you started. You can maybe start with counting steps. Most smart phones have a step counter now a days or if you haven't invested in a fitness watch it's something very motivating for a lot of us. I love my Fitbit. I went from barely getting 10,000 steps to getting 20,000 steps every day and it took me like a month. You can do this!!!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    losing weight is a process and sometimes, you'll have set backs. maybe even back to where you started. EVERYONE does, so don't worry or beat yourself up over it, just pick yourself up and start again.
    Instead of focusing on the big, overwhelming picture, focus on ONE DAY. Just get through today making good choices. If you fall down, make it a little stumble (if you eat a cookie, don't tell yourself that you've already blown it for the day and eat the whole box... just enjoy the cookie and decide if the guilt was worth it.)
    What sometimes helps me is to sit quietly and have a little pep talk with myself. I talk to myself about what's important, and what I want to do and why and make a promise to myself to get through just today and then see if I can do it again. I usually can and you can too. :)
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Oh my that's a lot of pressure to put on yourself for having gained a little weight! I know it feels like a lot is riding on you to get healthy, but it definitely sounds like a lot of pressure to be perfect all the time. So you slipped up a little; it's part of life. Don't forget to live a little, and remember that people love you no matter what the scale says.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    You have to trust the process, if you log your food honestly you will lose weight. The feedback definitely causes one to adjust their eating over time and weight will come off. Ignoring it is the only thing that doesn't work.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    So much knowledge and helpful information in this thread, and not just applicable to weight loss. I've been feeling very overwhelmed about a number of things in my life. Reading this thread is giving me a bit of hope. Thank you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Something that helped me were planned evening snacks. An 8 o'clock, and a just before bed. The bedtime was not much.

But this way I was only waiting until later. It was only a matter of a little patience, not a battle of willpower.
  • CassondraKennedy
    CassondraKennedy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Something that helped me were planned evening snacks. An 8 o'clock, and a just before bed. The bedtime was not much.

But this way I was only waiting until later. It was only a matter of a little patience, not a battle of willpower.

I do this too. When I first started, I would really struggle thinking that I couldn't eat anything after dinner. Pre-planning snacks has been a huge help to me. Hang in there, @Gram1959. We all started somewhere. You'll thank yourself for starting now and sticking with it no matter what.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Everything 88olds said! There is so much help here on MFP. Try upping your protein and fiber which helps with satiation at lower calories.
  • Gram1959
    Gram1959 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    At the Wharton Clinic an down 2 oz not much but better than up
  • leopardessa
    leopardessa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are not failing at all! There are so many people out there that either do not acknowledge they should lose weight or they do, but complacently do nothing. You are a success because you want to do something about it.

Increasing your water intake is a great idea. I, too, had to do that. It is crazy that we can store a few pounds of water simply because we do not hydrate our bodies.

Just keep reminding yourself that when you set your plan in place it takes time to see results on the scale and you will sometimes see results in measuring your waist before the scale goes down.
  • alkight84
    alkight84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a sedentary job as well. I got a Fitbit and it has helped tremendously. I get up every hour to get my 250 steps. My boss even got me a headset so I could keep it up!
    You know what you need to do and now. We just have to stick to it!! I have faith in ya!
  • 88olds
    Options
    Hold that thought "down is better than up. " Never let it go.
  • Gram1959
    Options
    How was your day? I had a good day went to aquafit and stayed under my calorie goal
  • Gram1959
    Options
    July is almost over. I still haven't lost any weight but I'm tracking every day I'm hoping it will keep me honest even if I go over my allotted calories. How is every else doing?
  • 88olds
    Options
    I'm fine, thanks for asking.

Good going. Tracking is #1. Kudos for tracking when over calories. The process is more important than the numbers. It will work.