calories burned

Options
confused my fitness watch says i burn more in 30 mins then MFP should just go with MFP calorie burned? I feel like my watch says i burn more then i really do.

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    What kind of a watch is it? And what type of exercise are you doing?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Both are guesses. My initial reaction...go with the lowest number. Many people here start by eating back 50% of exercise calories and then adjust after a few weeks. Actual results will give you a better estimate.
  • leopardessa
    leopardessa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Different devices say different things. I rode a stationary bike once that had a calorie burner and compared its reading to MFP being sure I input the right speed and MFP claimed I burned more calories than the bike claimed. I know the inconsistency is annoying, but I chalked it up to the fact that I exercised was more important than an exact calorie amount.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    tams644 wrote: »
    confused my fitness watch says i burn more in 30 mins then MFP should just go with MFP calorie burned? I feel like my watch says i burn more then i really do.

LMAO. So vague....ahhhh.... Go with your watch. :(
    We don't know what you're talking about
  • tams644
    tams644 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What kind of a watch is it? And what type of exercise are you doing?

Its just cheap watch only does calories burned and i think heart rate bought it at walmart. Been doing my walking video Leslie Sansone trying hard to get back into working out i have Myasthenia gravis :( so hard to really do a high impact workout. but i feel like this watch says im burning more i noticed when i push start i already burned 5 calorie from standing there lol
  • tams644
    Options
    rmgnow wrote: »
    tams644 wrote: »

LMAO. So vague....ahhhh.... Go with your watch. :(
    We don't know what you're talking about

my watch says i burn more calories then MFP says i do in 30 mins by like 100 calories so what im asking why would the watch be so off? from pushing start i already burned 10 calories from standing there doesnt seem accurate.
  • tams644
    Options
    Different devices say different things. I rode a stationary bike once that had a calorie burner and compared its reading to MFP being sure I input the right speed and MFP claimed I burned more calories than the bike claimed. I know the inconsistency is annoying, but I chalked it up to the fact that I exercised was more important than an exact calorie amount.

Thank you!
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    the watch is atleast based off something, whether that is heart rate or steps. Either way, if you're doing the same workout everytime or a similar type workout, I'd go with the watch, and if the calories are off you can figure out by how much over time and make adjustments.

MFP is an estimate based on your gender, age, height and weight. The watch should be the same with but also include some other sort of input to determine calories.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Both are estimates. Go with the lower, evaluate your progress in 4-6 weeks, adjust accordingly.

When I was using MFP estimates, I immediately cut that number in half, and ate back all of it.