I hate evenings

Options
specsaverchick
specsaverchick Posts: 4 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
i do so well all day counting calories, then i cant stop thinking about eating in the evenings and i usually give in and go have marmite on toast, then feel so mad with myself for giving in all the darn time. How are people stopping themselves from giving in.....Im so tempted to get my husband to put a lock on the kitchen door so i cant get in...lol

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pre logging your day? I know I like eating most of my food at night, so this is how I plan it. Most of my calories are consumed after 730 when I have a massive dinner, followed by dessert.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Schedule yourself a snack at night. Try something like popcorn that has low calories for a huge bowl. It will seem like you had a lot, but you aren't.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    i do so well all day counting calories, then i cant stop thinking about eating in the evenings and i usually give in and go have marmite on toast, then feel so mad with myself for giving in all the darn time. How are people stopping themselves from giving in.....Im so tempted to get my husband to put a lock on the kitchen door so i cant get in...lol

I exercise and do homework most evenings ... these things help keep me busy so that I'm not focused on food.

I also plan for 2 evening snacks. They are included within my calories.

• specsaverchick
    specsaverchick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i like the popcorn idea. its around 9pm i get the urge to eat, ive tried going bed early to watch tv in bed but i just lay there thinking of toast, lol....then if i have it it takes me over my calories...think i will get some low cal popcorn then and try that......
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat till about 11:30pm each night. Last night was grapes. However I also then don't eat until 12pm the next day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same! All I want to do in the evening is sit in front of the telly and munch my way through....everything! Wanting to eat in the evening seems more psychological than actually needing to eat, so I found eating more during the day helped. I know not everyone likes to eat in the morning but I found having a heartier breakfast (I like a big bowl of porridge) makes me feel full and the full feeling lasts quite a long time. Plus if you know you've eaten quite a lot during the day, you're less likely to think 'well I've not eaten that many calories so I guess it won't hurt too much to have....'

Other things I did include: scheduling my dinner later (I used to eat between 5 and 6 but now I don't start preparing dinner until at least 6 so I'm eating more between 7 and 8) and going to bed earlier and waking up earlier as I resist temptation more easily in the morning.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Personally I eat till about 11:30pm each night. Last night was grapes. However I also then don't eat until 12pm the next day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I do this also consume most of my calories at, last night the last thing I had was cottage cheese and Doritos(230cals, 14g protein) and I dont usually eat again until 11 or 12.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm similar to a few prior responses. I eat almost all my calories in the evening. Once you get used to going about your business during the day, it's easy to get by on maybe some coffee in the morning and then water the rest of the day (though I have the occasional peach, etc.), leaving 85%+ of my calories for dinner. Believe me, you can only pack so much in there in that short time frame before bed. Very hard to overeat.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Most of my cals are consumed in the evening. I leave about 900 for me to play around with. The only times I had an issue saving cals was when I was eating too little (restricting myself too much).
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yeah, totally nighttime eater here. I eat about 300 calories between 7:30am and 7:30pm and save at least 900 + exercise calories for dinner and then a giant bowl of ice cream about an hour or two after dinner. I also eat dinner late. I have zero daytime hunger... so it's easiest to follow my body rather than fight the way it functions best. I do stay up much too late and am lucky if I'm in bed before 1:30am. But that's what ice cream is for!
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    i like the popcorn idea. its around 9pm i get the urge to eat, ive tried going bed early to watch tv in bed but i just lay there thinking of toast, lol....then if i have it it takes me over my calories...think i will get some low cal popcorn then and try that......
    There's nothing wrong with having toast if that's what you crave at night. Have you tried planning that into your calories? In fact, I had toast with cream cheese right before bed last night :)

Also, are you tracking your food? Are you eating all of your calories? Having too much of a deficit can cause hunger at night.
  • inkedillini26
    inkedillini26 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I log most of my food for the day in the morning and the night before. I also work my calories and consumption around when I know I will be most hungry/snacky...if I know I need a snack at night, then I make that a priority in my logging/day and make my lunch or morning snack smaller.

That's the great thing about IIFYM. If I know that a certain time of day that I will want food, or if I know that I have a pattern of eating before bed/after work/around 2 pm, then I just fit it in and make sacrifices during the times I don't get hungry or want to eat. I don't get very hungry while I am at work (I get distracted) - so most of my calories are used for dinner!
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have marmite on toast as my breakfast on Saturday :) It's a treat because I'm trying not to eat bread plus I get porridge bound from the week :D Nothing wrong with eating these things if they're within your calorie goal :) Popcorn is a great idea :) If you're in the UK you can get Metcalfes skinny popcorn... It's super nice and low in calories :)
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I found it helpful to eat smaller, more frequent meals to prevent cravings. Budget for an evening snack would be my suggestion.
  • hello8642
    hello8642 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I second the metcalfes popcorn- loads of different flavours, sweet and savoury to try and they're really quite low cal.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other nocturnalvores, save your calories for the end of the day. Beware of binges (drink water to douse those urges).
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I save at least half my calories for dinner and beyond.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough during the day? It's possible that if you ate a little more at dinner you wouldn't crave the toast.
  • grenachegirl
    grenachegirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Evenings have always been my 'danger' time, I try to stay busy but pre-logging has helped and leaving some calories for a couple of snacks is an absolute must. As for popcorn, it's my new favourite, Metcalfs is good but oh my gosh, Proper Corn's sweet + salty is heavenly!!