Did you hear what Jillian said ....

Options
2»

Replies

• TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    Drew I don't agree. I have been bustin my @$$! Running, jogging, biking, crunches, push ups, weights....the whole 9.
    I watch everything I eat. Drink tons of water. Don't drink any soda. Cut the salt WAY down. Eat my protein and fiber. Everything is running smoothe and doing exactly as it should, except the scale. 2 weeks with no change, besides the minor fluctuations that are normal.
    I know I'm not cheating. I know I'm doing what I should. I just know it.
  • newnana09
    Options
    I agree with with Bank said. Jillian's words were directed toward the contestants of the show.

What I do NOT agree with is when people continue to say "muscle weighs more than fat". NO IT DOESN'T!!

If you have 5 lbs. of muscle and 5 lbs. of fat - you have 5 lbs. - period. The difference is the muscle takes up much less space than the fat does. 5 pounds of muscle does not weigh more than 5 pounds of fat. Now, if you have 20 pounds of fat and you want to fill up the same amount of space that 20 pounds of fat takes with muscle - you will need more muscle to do that - so - that amount of muscle will weigh more.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I agree with with Bank said. Jillian's words were directed toward the contestants of the show.

What I do NOT agree with is when people continue to say "muscle weighs more than fat". NO IT DOESN'T!!

If you have 5 lbs. of muscle and 5 lbs. of fat - you have 5 lbs. - period. The difference is the muscle takes up much less space than the fat does. 5 pounds of muscle does not weigh more than 5 pounds of fat. Now, if you have 20 pounds of fat and you want to fill up the same amount of space that 20 pounds of fat takes with muscle - you will need more muscle to do that - so - that amount of muscle will weigh more.

Generally when people say "muscle weighs more than fat" they really mean by volume. So if this really irks you, just add "by volume" when you see the statement. Of course, a pound is a pound. We all get that. Just a short cut - but by volume say a cup of fat weighs much less than a cup of muscle. So what their saying is that the same pound of muscle takes up much less space than the fat, so you can lose inches and not lose pounds in that manner. Now, that is a whole different topic for a whole different discussion that I don't even want to get into! So it's the same thing you said, but just add the two words mentally and it will keep you from going nuts! :flowerforyou:
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    Drew I don't agree. I have been bustin my @$$! Running, jogging, biking, crunches, push ups, weights....the whole 9.
    I watch everything I eat. Drink tons of water. Don't drink any soda. Cut the salt WAY down. Eat my protein and fiber. Everything is running smoothe and doing exactly as it should, except the scale. 2 weeks with no change, besides the minor fluctuations that are normal.
    I know I'm not cheating. I know I'm doing what I should. I just know it.

It is normal for weight loss to occur in fits and starts. It is quite possible in your case that your body is beginning to retain more water, which accounts for the lack of loss. It is also possible that your body is just not giving up the fat right now. The numbers that MFP and other sites or books use to calculate things like your BMR are simply averages. Your BMR will change with your activity level and your diet. (and your age)That is why you need to shake things up here and there to keep the line moving steadily. Otherwise you hit a plateau and must wait it out. That you are not losing is not necessarily a sign that you are cheating or doing anything wrong.

But a lot of people think that if they are on target to lose 2.5 pounds a week based on some numbers they got here, or past history, and think if they don't lose that they gained 2.5 pounds of muscle instead are, I am afraid, mistaken, or mislead. The lack of loss or gain is more than likely from some other cause, and not muscle gain.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I think that what Jillian said is true over a long span of time. She was talking about a 4 week time period and a person who lost 2 pounds. The point was that she lost 2 pounds.

If you are weighing yourself every week, there will be weeks where the scale doesn't show the number appropriate to your efforts, and you may have lost inches and not see the scale move. However, it will catch up the next week or so. Over a 4 week period you pretty much will reap what you sow. This is especially true at the beginning of a weight loss effort. Later you may hit a plateau that could last for 4 weeks, but again, over time it will show up at the scale.
  • abullock
    abullock Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I read some of the threads about Jillian’s comments. Here is my two cents: We live in an immediate gratification society, and I know that I, like many, have wanted to find a quick fix for weight loss. I start strong and I expect the scale to respond according to my expectations (which are high and admittedly unrealistic) and if it doesn’t I have often moved on to the next quick fix or simply given up. I am at this site, tracking my calories, committed to exercise because I know that there is no quick fix. I am committed to losing weight and changing my life.

That being said, I sometimes get discouraged when the scale is not my friend and does not tell me what I want to hear. So I look for other ways to keep myself motivated – things like the tape measure and skinny jeans. See I think Jillian is right and wrong. The scale doesn’t lie – It is like a super b*tchy girlfriend that doesn’t tell you what you want to hear but always tells the truth. The tape measure and skinny jeans are like super supportive friends that say “Look you lost .5 inch and good job those pants are almost buttoned.” As measures of progress they serve very different purposes: the scale tells me like it is but the tape measure keeps me going. So I say to Jillian, you can be critical of the scale – it is a b*tch that doesn’t lie! But keep your hands off my tape measure – it is kind and measures progress in cm, and sometimes that is what I need to keep going. Otherwise I am liable to give up on the healthy lifestyle and start researching how much weight I could lose if I drank green tea, Acai, and did a colon cleanse all at the same time!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    just wanted to "weigh in" here- pun intended.

I have been following the plan and not going over on cals for 5 1/2 weeks. For the first 4 weeks, the weight was falling off like there was no tomorrow. 16 lbs in the first 4 weeks. Woo-Hoo! I was so excited, Then week 4 ended, and I did not see any change at all for 9 days straight. I was feeling sorry for myself, wondering why????? Then this weekend I ran a 5K, way more effort than I have expended in years. I weighed myself and measured myself yesterday. My scale said I was 4 lbs HIGHER!!!!??? but my measuring tape said I had lost 2 inches from my fattest part of my stomach. Then today, I get back on the scale and I am back at the 221 where I was at the end of week 4. But the pants that I could not close on that day, I am wearing, comfortably, now.
    So, tell me, am I gainign muscle? Am I losing weight?

I don't know, but I am shrinking. These pants are not stretch. and I could not zip them, not even a little, and now they are on. Not like, OMG I am cutting myself in half, but really comfortably fitting.

I can't "weight" (bad one) to see what happens next. I am just glad I stuck it out through the "scale-not-moving" days.
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i believe jillian's and bob's whole points were don't sugar coat it, don't make excuses, the two pound loss meant not lots of muscle gain, just not lots of doing what the contestant was supposed to be doing...later when jillian talked to the contestant she admitted that she was working out good but not eating what she was supposed to be eating...
    i love watching the biggest loser and seeing people take their lives back...but along the journey of my life, i have learned that we take what we need to learn from our teachers...if it doesn't sound like it feels right to us, then it probably isn't for where we are right now on our journey...on the message boards, there will be messages that feel right to us and will work right for us and we can integrate the advice into our lives...then there will be messages that just don't sound/feel right to us...doesn't mean they are wrong, just means they aren't right for us...i could never work as hard as the contestents on the show are working (and i wouldn't want to)...but i am making progress one step at a time...and the show motivates me...i would rather see my clothes fit looser and have more energy and feel healthier than see a result on the scale...i think that"s why we should only weigh once a week (even though i weigh every morning..:embarassed: )....
    if you are doing what you know you should be doing, and you don't have a weight loss, don't worry about it...one day you will wake up and lose 4 pounds seemingly out of no where...it has happened that way for me so i know it is true...
    good luck and blessings to everyone on this site...i love the support and help here!!!!...joan :heart:
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    luckylep and abullock, i think you both hit the nail right on the head with your comments!!!..both of your posts were insightful...thanks, joan
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    I read some of the threads about Jillian’s comments. Here is my two cents: We live in an immediate gratification society, and I know that I, like many, have wanted to find a quick fix for weight loss. I start strong and I expect the scale to respond according to my expectations (which are high and admittedly unrealistic) and if it doesn’t I have often moved on to the next quick fix or simply given up. I am at this site, tracking my calories, committed to exercise because I know that there is no quick fix. I am committed to losing weight and changing my life.

That being said, I sometimes get discouraged when the scale is not my friend and does not tell me what I want to hear. So I look for other ways to keep myself motivated – things like the tape measure and skinny jeans. See I think Jillian is right and wrong. The scale doesn’t lie – It is like a super b*tchy girlfriend that doesn’t tell you what you want to hear but always tells the truth. The tape measure and skinny jeans are like super supportive friends that say “Look you lost .5 inch and good job those pants are almost buttoned.” As measures of progress they serve very different purposes: the scale tells me like it is but the tape measure keeps me going. So I say to Jillian, you can be critical of the scale – it is a b*tch that doesn’t lie! But keep your hands off my tape measure – it is kind and measures progress in cm, and sometimes that is what I need to keep going. Otherwise I am liable to give up on the healthy lifestyle and start researching how much weight I could lose if I drank green tea, Acai, and did a colon cleanse all at the same time!

I love love love this!!! Thank you!
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes, I heard that too. I think as we eat better and exercise, weight gets redistributed. I agree that if your clothes are fitting better and you feel better, you are successful!