I'm having issues and not sure why.

I'm a tour guide. I walk all day. I don't eat very much. I definitely feel like I should still be losing weight. I've lost 60lbs this year already. I'm 5'9 and 205lbs. Lots of my weight is in muscle but I know there is still about 25lbs in fat that needs to go. Any suggestions? Btw some fitness friends would be nice. I don't know anybody who likes to workout so I have been in this alone.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    60 pounds in 6 months is very quick. How long has it been since you lost?
  • edlanglais
    edlanglais Posts: 39 Member
    What is your caloric intake? Are you logging?
  • AsylumTourGuide
    AsylumTourGuide Posts: 13 Member
    I haven't had any notable difference in weight in a few weeks.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    I haven't had any notable difference in weight in a few weeks.

Define noticeable.

Does that mean no loss at all, or a loss less than you were expecting?

You're on the right path by logging calories to start. I suggest doing that for a month then reevaluate where you are at. You should be looking for no more than about .5lbs a week with only 25lbs to lose.

• AsylumTourGuide
    AsylumTourGuide Posts: 13 Member
    Means nothing notable. My weight fluctuates normally and on average there has been no loss in the past few weeks. .5 lbs a week doesn't seem like very much at all. I would rather lose more than that.
  • mcart15
    mcart15 Posts: 29 Member
    With the extra heat this time of year you may be holding on to some water weight.
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Check what MFP tells you to eat at .5 lbs,1 lbs, and 2 lbs per week loss. You can then decide which calorie goal you want to use. It isn't really hard to lose if you keep in mind that the calorie estimates for exercise are probably too high (since they ARE just estimates). You also should eat normally for a couple of weeks to see exactly how much you are actually eating. Make sure you are weighing and measuring correctly and consistently.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Congrats on the 60 lbs weight loss.
    I sense you have some body issues.
    .5 lbs per week is normal.

One thing to look out for is logging overestimated exercise. Be on the conservative side with that.
    And I personally like strong women, so what you think people like, isn't always true.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2017
    Means nothing notable. My weight fluctuates normally and on average there has been no loss in the past few weeks. .5 lbs a week doesn't seem like very much at all. I would rather lose more than that.

if you need to lose 25lb 0.5lb/week is about right. anything more than that would most likely be too aggressive. you wont lose every week either sadly its how weight loss works because weight loss is not linear.you cant lose a small amount of weight quickly and safely.The less you have to lose the slower it is and should be.if you are losing 0.5lb/week it means you have a 250 calorie deficit.

She's 5'9" and 205. Losing more than 0.5lb/week is perfectly fine. Just because her goals is to lose 25lbs doesn't mean anything in terms of weight loss per week. Telling someone to diet for another year to lose 25 pounds which wouldn't even put someone in their ideal weight is horrible advice. Literally telling her to lose 1% of her weight a month when realistically it could easily be more like 1% of your weight a week if you're overweight or obese

first of all the less weight you have to lose, the less per week you should be trying to lose. especially if you dont have the fat stores like you did at a larger weight. so no its not bad advice.so you are saying 2lbs a week is ok with so little to lose?.

yes it could be more if you are obese and have more to lose(like more than 75lb) . but clearly she said she needs to lose 25lbs.she already lost a lot in 6 months time and with that fast of a loss,I'm sure there was a decent amount of lean mass lost as well. to safely lose weight you are only supposed to lose a percentage of your weight.saying large and rapid weight loss is ok when you have so little to lose is what is horrible advice.

1% of your total weight is sustainable until you're getting into single digit bf% for men and under 20% for women.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Just because someone's goal is to lose 25lbs, doesn't mean that's the amount of weight they can lose and still be healthy.

I could be 60 pounds overweight, and my goal is to lose 25-30 pounds, so according to what you're saying, I should lose 0.5lbs/week when in reality, I can very easily lose 2lbs/week. Just because my goal is 25-30 pounds doesn't mean anything in terms of the speed of weight loss.

OP is ~35lbs overweight, so we are still only talking a pound a week.