Keto Fats

Options
I have been slowly easing into keto for a little over a month. I thought I had everything right and was ready to start tracking. I see my problem is too much protein not enough fat. Should I just add more butter to my meats? What snacks do y'all eat to keep your fat up??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    cheese, heavy cream in coffee, fattier cuts of meat. Do chicken thighs instead of breast. Bacon.....mmmm bacon....pepperettes. Burger....
  • sarahmariedaigle
    sarahmariedaigle Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend always buys boneless skinless chicken are the thighs much different as far as protein?

• sarahmariedaigle
    Options
    Peanut butter

What kind do you buy and where do you get it from? I haven't found one yet and I have been missing peanut butter a lot!

• TavistockToad
    Options
    My boyfriend always buys boneless skinless chicken are the thighs much different as far as protein?

thighs are higher in fat than breast
  • cmjordan9799
    cmjordan9799 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesome guys. I just posted on this and ate some peanut butter!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Peanut butter

What kind do you buy and where do you get it from? I haven't found one yet and I have been missing peanut butter a lot!

whole earth smooth, most supermarkets stock it.
  • Rufftimes
    Options
    as far as red meat, get fatty cuts. Rib eye, T-Bone etc. Avoid anything that says extra lean.
  • Rufftimes
    Options
    oh, and I do make fat bombs, not because I have to but because they are like dessert to me! Cream Cheese, heavy cream, Swerve, and Vanilla extract.....OMG yes
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Higher fat proteins i like are salmon and whole eggs. I'd use skin on chicken thigh too, and fattier cuts of beef/lamb.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I like nut butters to fill in fat gaps. Also I have trouble in general getting fats so I make keto fat bombs and have them as a tasty treat after dinner even though I'm not keto. There are a lot of tasty recipes online!
  • sarahmariedaigle
    Options

[/quote]

whole earth smooth, most supermarkets stock it.[/quote]

I'm going to add it to my list thank you so much!
  • sarahmariedaigle
    Options
    Thank you all! I made some cream cheese fat bombs last night that I will try today. I'm hoping today goes much better!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

whole earth smooth, most supermarkets stock it.[/quote]

I'm going to add it to my list thank you so much! [/quote]

I buy one from Costco and it's almond, cashew and hazelnut butter with some black seeds in it. I sweeten it with a little splenda because I like my nut butters sweet but you could have it plain too! I think the brand is called Nuts for Nature or something like that.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just started a ketogenic diet last week and lost 7 pounds. I am trying to cook from scratch and eat healthy while keeping my carbs down and fats up. I am working on 20g Carbs, 177g fat and 87g protein or 4%, 79%, 17%. I figured out the portions based on my height/weight and formulas from a keto book I picked up. This makes my total daily calories over 2000 per day which I feel is too high. I am therefore eating less fat and protein to keep my calories between 1200 and 1500 but keep my carbs around 20g.
    I do not like dark chicken meat so started buying breasts bone in and skin on. The flavour increase is amazing as is the fat content. A little butter under the skin before baking just ups the flavour. Old Cheddar is also a favourite choice for high fat with minimal carbs. I treat myself to one or two tablespoons of real peanut butter per day but with 3g of carbs each I measure it out and put the jar away. I like it straight but discovered it is really good on celery - who knew. My fave way to up my fats is a Paleo or Bullet Proof coffee as an afternoon snack. Lots of good fats in it which help my numbers and keep me powering thru to dinner.
    I have to say this is the easiest weight loss program I have been on so fingers crossed.
    Good luck to all on their personal journeys.
  • Rufftimes
    Options
    I just started a ketogenic diet last week and lost 7 pounds. I am trying to cook from scratch and eat healthy while keeping my carbs down and fats up. I am working on 20g Carbs, 177g fat and 87g protein or 4%, 79%, 17%. I figured out the portions based on my height/weight and formulas from a keto book I picked up. This makes my total daily calories over 2000 per day which I feel is too high. I am therefore eating less fat and protein to keep my calories between 1200 and 1500 but keep my carbs around 20g.
    I do not like dark chicken meat so started buying breasts bone in and skin on. The flavour increase is amazing as is the fat content. A little butter under the skin before baking just ups the flavour. Old Cheddar is also a favourite choice for high fat with minimal carbs. I treat myself to one or two tablespoons of real peanut butter per day but with 3g of carbs each I measure it out and put the jar away. I like it straight but discovered it is really good on celery - who knew. My fave way to up my fats is a Paleo or Bullet Proof coffee as an afternoon snack. Lots of good fats in it which help my numbers and keep me powering thru to dinner.
    I have to say this is the easiest weight loss program I have been on so fingers crossed.

Awesome post! The only thing I was going to say is, "she's eating too much, but it looks like you recognized that! I'm in around 1500 cal a day, and my macros are 5/25/70 and that seems to be the best for me, its been a steady consistant loss of weight since I tweaked to that and I'm never hungry!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Juicy beef, undrained ground chuck, brisket, pork shoulder, ribs. Chicken thighs. Duck instead of chicken. Add cheese to your chicken breasts.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter

if you have a food processor, making your own peanut butter is pretty easy. Just take some peanuts and begin grinding them. I added a bit of coconut oil to make it smoother, and some salt to taste. :)
  • sarahmariedaigle
    Options
    Rufftimes wrote: »

Awesome post! The only thing I was going to say is, "she's eating too much, but it looks like you recognized that! I'm in around 1500 cal a day, and my macros are 5/25/70 and that seems to be the best for me, its been a steady consistant loss of weight since I tweaked to that and I'm never hungry!

Thank you! What book did you get??? I have keto clarity by jimmy moore and I'm loving it so far! I used a keto calculator online which put me at 1472 cal a day, 18g carbs 127 fat and 63 protein. (5' female)

• Rufftimes
    Options
    I don't have any book, just did all my reading online, and Kate joined a few FB groups