Anyone successfully help a spouse / significant other lose weight?

Options
majess1022
majess1022 Posts: 70 Member
edited July 2017 in Success Stories
Maybe the answer is that you can't influence someone else's weight loss, but does anyone else have success stories in helping a spouse or significant other lose weight?

DH has been advised by a doctor to lose weight. He tried low carb for a month, but didn't stay strict with it. In the 10-15 years before that, both his parents and I to some degree have tried, at various points in time:
-gentle nudging,
-frank discussions about health/weight
-encouraging him to work out
-guilt tripping him about our young kids needing him (to be healthy and alive)
-losing weight myself
-making him appointments at a nutritionist
-making a billion suggestions of healthy lunch options while he's at work.

I don't cook though--he's the cook--so I don't take too much control over our dinners. None of these efforts made an impact.

I don't want to make this too much about me, though. I'm more genuinely curious if you've been able to motivate someone else to reach a healthy weight? How? I apologize if the premise of this question is insensitive or inappropriate. I am generally of the belief we can't "make" anybody do anything, but I feel guilty for not doing more/better for hubby.

Replies

• TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I desperately want DH to join me in getting healthy. He's making really small baby steps but they aren't enough and this has been going on for years. I've gotten really serious about my goals this time, I hope I can lead by example and motivate him to want to lose too. Is there a reason you don't cook? Maybe you can share in that and show him that healthy can still be delicious. I agree with most though, I felt guilty a long time but he's in charge of himself and I can't make him do anything.
  • lkn12mom
    lkn12mom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It definitely makes it easier to lose weight when your spouse is on board. My husband is trying to lose weight with me and I appreciate it because he wasn't very supportive in the past. He'd complain about healthy meals he called "bland". Made jokes no gravy, go on about he's a meat and potatoes guy. Etc.

I think if you could take over some cooking responsibilities that may help.

Do you do the grocery shopping? Stop buying junk food and substitute some items for much healthier choices.

Is his health impacted by his weight?
  • TheMothership71
    TheMothership71 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing this together. We love to cook so changing our way of eating wasn't too hard. He even joined mfp. He doesn't have as much to lose as me. However he has never thought much about his diet as far as losing weight and had never worked out a day in his life. We are losing quickly and getting healthy and stronger in all ways. He never pushed me to lose weight and probably never would have. However, I needed to get back in the game. I needed his support and he went above and beyond.
    One downfall in this has been that he is losing very quickly with not nearly as much effort. I have to keep my jealously of that in check. LoL
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If he's not motivated, there's nothing you can do.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My wife kept nudging me, but I had to finally make the decision myself. Her support was invaluable.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nope. My wife occasionally asks me to help her lose weight and get in shape, except with the caveat that I can't change what she eats or have her start exercising. She is quick to jump on whatever is trending on social media, though.

But, she just started C25K and asked me to coach her through it. It was her idea, so we'll see how long it lasts.
  • huskergirl0731
    huskergirl0731 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you aren't the cook, maybe you can ask him if you can pick a new meal idea or two for the week and you can make them together. Try one new meal during the week and then make something new and healthy together with the kids. You don't have to mention that it is to get him to eat healthier, just tell him you want to help cook more and that it is a great way to have some family time. If the recipe is something he likes, ask him if he can make it once a week or every other week. If he doesn't care for it, move on to the next one. At the least he will be trying new, healthier foods and you may discover him moving towards healthier meals without realizing what he's doing. Just an idea!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @SomebodyWakeUpHIcks has been helping and supporting his wife through her weight loss journey. Let's see what he can add?

I have found that the solution is to stop rubbing toilet paper all over yourself.
  • majess1022
    majess1022 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    TorStar80 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I desperately want DH to join me in getting healthy. He's making really small baby steps but they aren't enough and this has been going on for years. I've gotten really serious about my goals this time, I hope I can lead by example and motivate him to want to lose too. Is there a reason you don't cook? Maybe you can share in that and show him that healthy can still be delicious. I agree with most though, I felt guilty a long time but he's in charge of himself and I can't make him do anything.

I don't cook because of my work schedule (he gets home before I do), and he's a natural--everything he makes tastes good. I could take a stab at some weekend meal prepping though. I'll definitely be in the lookout for something that I can't mess up ;). So that could take care of some dinners, but he's at work for breakfast and lunch and I have no idea what he's getting, other than like, breakfast burritos.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Basically no! But I would suggest some other types of things that may work on the sly! I think we generally don't like being left out so if you start doing something for the betterment of something this may nudge him in the right direction. I mean doing anything not having to do with food or exercise but that has a result of something being better. It could be taking better care of your hair (not saying you need too) or even if you have a pet just putting in a little more effort in brushing them,organizing your closet and having an easier time getting ready in the mornings . . . anything that shows that the extra effort results in a change that is worth it.

I started my weight loss after giving a friend a hug and noticing how cut he was getting just from his little 2 weeks going to the gym . . . use that Fear of Missing Out ;) I think we all have a little of that!
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My guy needed to lose weight (dr's orders) so wanting to be a supportive girlfriend I decided to join in. One of the reasons I joined him was because I didn't want him to feel left out when we go on dates, with me eating whatever and him being limited. Now our approaches to weightloss has been different, with him only keeping to his cals and I doing the gym but he is losing faster than I am. I don't push him to do what he doesn't want to do. Recently he told me he signed up for an aerobics class. I was shocked and happy because it's way out of his comfort zone but he was willing to try. Maybe your hubby feels deprived when he's on a diet? If he knows he can still have the foods he loves as long as it fits into his cals he'll feel better to try losing weight again?
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask him to join in on getting active? Jogging, swimming, weights, hiking? Get out of the house and do stuff together and have fun. I would also be very resistant to nagging (before I decided to lose weight) because I'm stubborn and would feel like my partner was treating me like a child but if my husband said hey come join me at tennis, swimming whatever I need a partner/motivation and make it about doing stuff together rather than telling him to lose weight and diet (which probably makes him feel like crap about himself) he's more likely to want to get involved. :blush:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!