plus size- how much weight before you went down a size in clothes?

Options
13»

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's hard for me to tell, since clothing sizers seem to be a bunch of drunk monkeys! Seriously, you'd think it wouldn't be that hard to make sizes fairly standard. But no, I'm a size 18 in some outfits and a size 24 in others. Some t-shirts I'm good in a large and others require a 3X. It's ridiculous!
  • Aria_TC
    Aria_TC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this question! All of the comments are so encouraging. I've lost 18 pounds and my pant legs are quite loose, but the waist still fits just fine :#

I'm at 20lbs down and the legs of my jeans are very loose but the waist is just slightly loose. Haven't tried to fit in my old 18s yet but that's the next step in the next few weeks :smile:
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    5'3.5 SW 195 CW 155

I'm a pear shape and it's becoming more defined as I lose weight. I'm down 40 pounds. I was in L/XL shirts depending on fit and now a M. Pants are a different story. Was in a 16 and barely a 12 now.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I was a size 26-28 when I started again and when I lost 50 lbs (310 to 260) I was in a size 20. From 250 to 210 (40 lbs) I went from a size 20 to a 14/16.
    Around 260 I started losing more inches due to strength training, which got me into smaller sizes a bit more quickly I think. I think one size is normally 15-20 lbs on avg.
  • AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm not "plus size" per se...however, I do agree that it also depends on where you carry your weight. It takes me FOREVER to drop a pant size but I carry my weight in my hips and thighs. Last go round of weight loss I got down to around 150 and felt like I looked a bit sickly on my top half but still wore a 9/11 in juniors in pants. Now I am a 14 in women's but I suspect I wont go down a pant size for quite awhile.
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm not "plus size" per se...however, I do agree that it also depends on where you carry your weight. It takes me FOREVER to drop a pant size but I carry my weight in my hips and thighs. Last go round of weight loss I got down to around 150 and felt like I looked a bit sickly on my top half but still wore a 9/11 in juniors in pants. Now I am a 14 in women's but I suspect I wont go down a pant size for quite awhile.

This is me so much. I wouldn't say sickly, but I have bony shoulders, almost no boobs anymore, and a very thin high waist but still 12 pounds overweight. All of my extra weight sits on my lower stomach, hips, and thighs.
  • Antmaril
    Antmaril Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started at 200 pounds and am now 168 (66 years old - 5'6"). I wore 1X tops and 16W slacks. It has taken me 18 months to lose this weight. I know it is a really long time, but my weight loss has been slow and steady and I can live with that. I am now wearing size large tops and 14 bottoms (not plus size).
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    The larger the size, the more pounds you need to lose to drop a size. It's a basic geometry problem. Imagine a baseball and a golf ball. Now scoop a tablespoon out of each of them. The golf ball will have diminished in size A LOT but the baseball hardly at all. The same is true with us. When I weighed over 300 lbs I could take 20-40 lbs off and really people could barely notice and clothing size didn't really change much (I lost 60 lbs before my friends were sure enough that I was reducing that they got comfortable asking me what was going on). Now I'm down to a more healthy weight and if I gain or lose 10 lbs it makes a big difference and I'll drop 1, sometimes 2 sizes.

While I was losing weight the first several months, keeping myself clothed wasn't an issue. But after a while I had to get real darned strategic about buying things to tide me over though transitionary sizes because my size was changing more rapidly and I didn't want to waste money.

You just made me realize something!... I used to drop 15 lbs and people were all impressed (pre-baby from 200 to 185) now I lost 20 lbs in 1 month and no one apart form my partner realized (249 to 229) and even before that a year ago right after giving birth I was 264lbs. So I'm 35lbs down. BTW I'm 5' 10" so quite tall - more lbs need to be lost to see it!

Anyway, for me I go down 1 size after losing about 25lbs when I'm above 200lbs but it's because I'm a pear shape so I lose really fast around my waist/back but my hips and thighs stay big so it's hard to fit in smaller pants. On the other hand, if it's a short shirt or a dress with flowy bottom, I went down 1or 2 sizes by losing 20 lbs. Apple shaped people may change sizes much faster ?
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I've lost 87 lbs starting 295 at 24 size jeans, currently 208 wearing size 12-14/14-16 depending on the jean
  • awells5187
    awells5187 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    NEMom80 wrote: »
    I just recently dropped close to 30 lbs and I'm still in the same size. The clothes are lose but the size down doesn't quite fit just yet. I probably also should've been in a bigger size to start but I couldn't bring myself to buy the bigger clothes.

I have lost 32#s so far and I am in the same boat. Current clothes are lose but size down is still too tight.
  • janica_233
    janica_233 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    siyana1985 wrote: »
    i've lost 28lbs and am just starting to notice that although my size 18 jeans are still TECHNICALLY wearable, the legs of them are getting baggy so i feel them flap when i'm walking (they used to be a good snug/confortable fit) and i do have to hike them up throughout the day a fair bit. i'm still not comfortable when i wear the size 16 jeans (still feel a bit uncomfortably snug) i'm kind of in between at the moment~

I am in the same situation lol. My size 18 pants are a little baggy but my 16s aren't comfortable yet. It's kind of frustrating being in between lol
  • janica_233
    janica_233 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started out around 265 with size 20 or 22 pants and 2x or 3x tops

Now I'm at 208 and about 56 pounds down. I now wear a size 18 pants and size 1x and xl tops

I'd say around 20 to 25 lbs is when I dropped a size. It's different for everyone I think depending on your body type.

I have heard that the smaller you get. The less pounds it takes to notice a difference.
  • Perfection623
    Perfection623 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm down about 35 lbs and I am down 2 sizes in pants, 1-2 sizes in tops depending on the style, and down in bra size from a 44 to a 40 around, and they are still getting looser. I have about another 40 to lose to be at my goal.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I don't know how men's clothes work but when I was at my biggest I was a UK 26/28 and it that size it took a lot more pounds lost to drop a size than it does now. I reckon it took about 40lb (so down from 289lb to 250lb) to get down to a 22/24 and then I got in to a 20 at around 200lb. Since that point I've lost another 40lb and dropped to a UK 12, having only lost around 8lb to go from a 14 to a 12.
  • keelzamy
    keelzamy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Anyone working on dropping uk sizes?

63895726.png
  • Nappingcat97
    Nappingcat97 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    About 20#. But it has to be real weigh loss, not water or low bloat. I think most us have jumped the gun and put on smaller size Jean's in the morning only to find in the afternoon our legs are numbing up.