Cheat Day? No Cheat Day?

Options
What's your opinion on having a cheat day? If you allow yourself to have one is it just one meal that day? Also, if you have allowed yourself cheat days did you do it once a month, once a week?

I'm asking, because I've always been "go hard or go home" so literally no cheating for months at a time, and I would lose the weight I wanted to lose and then towards the end I would feel so deprived that I'd slowly start incorporating unhealthy things back into my diet.

I feel like if you allow yourself a cheat day that might keep cravings away, and keep you more motivated to stick to things because you'll have a cheat day coming up so why eat something you shouldn't any other day? BUT also in my experience, when I have allowed myself to cheat, I crave the foods I cheated with more so than I did before eating them.

Opinions please. :)

What has worked for you?!

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Not viewing food as inherently good or bad has worked for me. Food is food; it's not cheating.
  • Sierra_Christine97
    Sierra_Christine97 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not viewing food as inherently good or bad has worked for me. Food is food; it's not cheating.

That's a good point. I don't mean that I view food as either good or bad...but when you're trying to lose weight you shouldn't necessarily indulge in greasy foods every other day. My question was more based along the lines of how often would you allow yourself to indulge in a treat. :)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

That's a good point. I don't mean that I view food as either good or bad...but when you're trying to lose weight you shouldn't necessarily indulge in greasy foods every other day. My question was more based along the lines of how often would you allow yourself to indulge in a treat. :)

I have a small piece of chocolate nearly every day. Coffee and chocolate. I could live without either one, but I don't have to. I just work it into my calories for the day. That's not cheating, although some might think it is.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I have 2 pieces of potato kugel and a frosted shortbread every Saturday (unless the buffet after synagogue doesn't have frosted shortbreads. I had a plain one last week.) I also have a bagel with sliced cheese for dinner. But I keep it within my calories. Saturday is also when I make sure to get 2 to 3 hours of walking in.

A treat is not a cheat. It's a choice I fit into my calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    No cheat day. I never needed one.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I can make perfectly healthy food that is greasy. Fat is not bad. Fat is necessary for good health and body function.
    If you view individual foods as healthy or unhealthy, you're technically viewing food as good or bad. See your diet in a whole context rather than individual foods - of course it makes sense to choose nutrient dense foods most of the time, but there is nothing you need to exclude or think of as bad (unless it's off, makes you feel ill, or is something you hate)

I don't "cheat" as I ditched the negative food associations and the feelings of guilt I'd get disappeared along with them. I eat what I like, to fit my goals. I manage my macros so that I eat less during the week to allow a day of higher cals on the weekend where I can be more flippant with my calories and enjoy foods that wouldn't ordinarily fit without it being detrimental to my goals. I still eat food I enjoy during the week, including dessert every night!
  • Elwin0907
    Elwin0907 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When i was hardcore lifting, i would have 1 cheat day a week and it literally was 1 cheat meal. It's something indulgent no doubt but just be mindful to not be gluttonous - portion sizes still matter in a cheat meal. Otherwise you'll crave some crazy things and feel severely deprived and the next thing you know you're sitting in the junk food isle with a half empty box of chocolate covered potato chips. #friendsdontletfriendsselfdeprive
  • Sierra_Christine97
    Options
    Elwin0907 wrote: »
    When i was hardcore lifting, i would have 1 cheat day a week and it literally was 1 cheat meal. It's something indulgent no doubt but just be mindful to not be gluttonous - portion sizes still matter in a cheat meal. Otherwise you'll crave some crazy things and feel severely deprived and the next thing you know you're sitting in the junk food isle with a half empty box of chocolate covered potato chips. #friendsdontletfriendsselfdeprive

Thank you! I think you kind of understand more along the lines of what I am asking. I am very strict with my "diet" even though it's not a "diet". I allow myself to buy certain groceries, and that is what I cook throughout the week for meals. I don't allow myself to buy things that I would normally consider unhealthy, like chocolate, candy, pizza, etc. because if it's in the house, I'm not going to just "fit it into my calories" hahaha I don't have self control around food like that. So I simply just don't keep it in my apartment.

I usually go out to eat for lunch after church on Sundays with some friends and I will allow myself to order something I normally don't eat. I like your advice though, just one meal, not an entire day.

I think what I consider a "cheat meal" is no counting calories, no guilt for eating it, and eat whatever food you want without considering "will this fit my macros? will this fit my calories? how much saturated fat is in this? etc. etc."
  • Sierra_Christine97
    Options

I have a small piece of chocolate nearly every day. Coffee and chocolate. I could live without either one, but I don't have to. I just work it into my calories for the day. That's not cheating, although some might think it is.

I don't consider that cheating :) I couldn't live without my coffee and creamer every morning! I fit that into my calories for the day as well. :smile:
    Chocolate though, hmmmmmm I could def. not have that in the house without basically inhaling it all at once. No self control here with chocolate. :blush:

I meant "Cheat meal" more as something I wouldn't allow myself to eat on an normal day to day basis like a burger, or milk shake or candy or something. Something I'm just craving but obviously not going to allow myself to eat on a random day of the week just because, you know?
  • Machka9
    Options

Thank you! I think you kind of understand more along the lines of what I am asking. I am very strict with my "diet" even though it's not a "diet". I allow myself to buy certain groceries, and that is what I cook throughout the week for meals. I don't allow myself to buy things that I would normally consider unhealthy, like chocolate, candy, pizza, etc. because if it's in the house, I'm not going to just "fit it into my calories" hahaha I don't have self control around food like that. So I simply just don't keep it in my apartment.

I usually go out to eat for lunch after church on Sundays with some friends and I will allow myself to order something I normally don't eat. I like your advice though, just one meal, not an entire day.

I think what I consider a "cheat meal" is no counting calories, no guilt for eating it, and eat whatever food you want without considering "will this fit my macros? will this fit my calories? how much saturated fat is in this? etc. etc."

I call that a diet break.

When I was losing weight, I stuck to my diet for 16 weeks ... then took a 1-month diet break ... then stuck to my diet for 16 weeks ... and arrived at my goal. :)

I've been in maintenance for some time, and for me, maintenance is a period of time on the diet, and then a period of time on a diet break, and repeat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I don't consider that cheating :) I couldn't live without my coffee and creamer every morning! I fit that into my calories for the day as well. :smile:
    Chocolate though, hmmmmmm I could def. not have that in the house without basically inhaling it all at once. No self control here with chocolate. :blush:

I meant "Cheat meal" more as something I wouldn't allow myself to eat on an normal day to day basis like a burger, or milk shake or candy or something. Something I'm just craving but obviously not going to allow myself to eat on a random day of the week just because, you know?

Why can't you eat that food any day, just because? If you let yourself have it any day, fitting it in to your calories (not that difficult) , you'll probably find you'll crave it less.... I find it becomes less desirable as it's just another thing I can eat if I want.
  • Sierra_Christine97
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

When I was losing weight, I stuck to my diet for 16 weeks ... then took a 1-month diet break ... then stuck to my diet for 16 weeks ... and arrived at my goal. :)

I've been in maintenance for some time, and for me, maintenance is a period of time on the diet, and then a period of time on a diet break, and repeat.

Yeah exactly!! I don't consider myself on a diet I guess just because I eat very clean and I'm used to it I suppose so it's just my every day meals and I really don't incorporate foods that compared to what I DO eat ARE unhealthy I guess. I don't want to keep foods around I know I won't have self control with, so I just don't. I think that's why I was asking if anyone else allowed themselves a day to eat outside of what they normally eat. Not really a "cheat day" because I guess a "cheat day" would be used when one is dieting, I just meant - like you said, a break. Haha
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I will have occasional free meals, where I don't worry about counting calories, but I still try to work out a bit more for a couple days and skip a snack or two to make up for it.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat as I still log. I log it all I refuse to be dishonest with myself by not logging and pretending things did not get eaten.
    I plan an over day or an over meal on occasion - special reason usually like a birthday or graduation or something like that. The days a little more often (I am working towards maintenance) but when in full weightless mode about once very 2-3 months would be my goal. It does not help metabolism and that sort of woo but it does help me with the psychology and gives me something to look forward to
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Negative language leads to negative thoughts (such as feeling guilty) and behaviours.
    Clean/dirty, good/bad aren't helpful IMHO.

Food isn't just fuel, it should be enjoyed as well.

Why not treat rather than cheat?
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Yeah exactly!! I don't consider myself on a diet I guess just because I eat very clean and I'm used to it I suppose so it's just my every day meals and I really don't incorporate foods that compared to what I DO eat ARE unhealthy I guess. I don't want to keep foods around I know I won't have self control with, so I just don't. I think that's why I was asking if anyone else allowed themselves a day to eat outside of what they normally eat. Not really a "cheat day" because I guess a "cheat day" would be used when one is dieting, I just meant - like you said, a break. Haha

I don't consider any food unhealthy and while I was losing weight, I ate whatever I wanted. I even ate half a cheesecake on my birthday that year! I was able to fit it into my calories because I went for a long bicycle ride that year.

When I went on that diet break, I simply stopped logging and ate a bit more of whatever I wanted for the month. But I also exercised a whole lot more than usual.

• LinserSE
    LinserSE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use something super small daily to help treat myself. I LOVE sweet things and everything desert, and sometimes fruit doesn't pack the punch i need, so I turn to fruit snacks: 1 packet, tons of sugar, 11g/55 for the day, SO helpful(: I usually don't have any other processed sugars and only occasionally natural sugar (Im more of a savory meal person, and I try not to need snacksxD) but with your inhalation of chocolate comment (lol), I'd say a meal instead of little treats is a perfect solution and is totally acceptable to help you stay on track and to never feel deprived.(:
  • leopardessa
    leopardessa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My cheat day is once a week for one meal and it never ruined my progress. It kept me motivated and my instinct was never to go eat unhealthy for the rest of the week because I knew if I really was craving some high calorie food I can have it in just a few days.
  • MeredithDeVoe1
    MeredithDeVoe1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't plan a cheat day or meal. Once in a while someone will be serving up ice cream or something, and I'll have a small portion and figure the day is not a weight loss day, oh well, tomorrow is another day and I don't beat myself up.
  • That_Country_Girl82
    That_Country_Girl82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't plan a cheat day or meal. Once in a while someone will be serving up ice cream or something, and I'll have a small portion and figure the day is not a weight loss day, oh well, tomorrow is another day and I don't beat myself up.

I'm the same way