Getting back into fitness - not a cook - what should I eat for dinner each night?

Options
I am not a cook and I have no desire to be a cook. I am getting back into the swing of things but have a hard time knowing what to eat for dinner. The usual is a salad and cheese slices because they are easy to make.

What are some super-simple (and I'm talking simple like a 13 year old could make it) things I could eat for dinner?

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    oh if life were only that simple.

Nutrition doesn't have to be overly complicated, but it does require effort. Protein....grill chicken, steak, fish, grab a steamer that you can pop in the microwave and steam vegetables. toss a baked potato in the micro..don't add the huge amounts of butter and sour cream.

buy a skillet and cook a hamburger for crying out loud. skip the 3 slices of bacon and cheese and mayo and opt for mustard or ketchup.

its not about make it difficult...its about eating the right amount of food.

you never said if you are trying to lose or gain or what your goals are...so suggestions are tough to make.
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My go-to lazy dinners are brinner, ground turkey taco salad, bunless burger, chicken and grilled veggies, gyro salads.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Any combination of protein, starch and vegetable can make up an acceptable dinner.
    My favorites include:
    A salmon filet, basmati rice with soy sauce, frozen peas. Fry/bake fish, boil rice, drain, add soy sauce, thaw+steam/nuke peas.
    A pork chop, barley, peas. Fry/bake meat, soak+boil grains, steam/nuke peas.
    A couple of mackerel filets, potatoes, chili sauce, cucumber salad. Fry/bake fish, boil potatoes, make white sauce w/butter, flour, milk, sriracha, slice cucumber, mix with vinegar, olive oil, salt, sugar, pepper.
    A chicken thigh, sweet potato mash, green beans. Fry/bake chicken, boil sweet potato, drain, add butter, milk, chopped red chili, steam/nuke beans.

Or just buy a cookbook for kids/students?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Do you like to grill?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A very lazy dinner for me would be to mix leftover chicken or canned tuna with instant ramen plus a few raw vegetables that don't need preparation like tomatoes and cucumbers.

A "canned salad" is another very lazy option I use when I'm too busy: just open a few cans of things that feel like they would go together (example the other day: beans, mini wieners, sweet corn, plus a raw tomato roughly sliced into directly into the bowl), add a bit of oil and herbs/spices and done.
  • xylia1225
    xylia1225 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling super lazy or short on time, you can always experiment with frozen meals. Just check the nutrition info for a particular meal to make sure it's balanced. You can always add a side of whatever is missing (protein, starch, veggies) if you need to.

Also, if you ever have a day with a little extra time to make a bunch of stuff in advance (example, cook up a few days' worth of chicken, a bunch of potatoes, make a big salad, etc) that can help, since for the rest of the week you just have to stick it on a plate (maybe heat it up, depending on what it is).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Buy it prepackaged. There's lots of options out there.

Get a salad from a fast food place with grilled chicken breast.

The Wendy's chilli salad is awesome.

My granddaughter at thirteen could cook dinner. It's a handy skill. It's much cheaper and you have full control over the nutrition.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    My go to lazys are frozen lasagna, stroganoff or anything I can cook in 20 minutes
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My laziest, yummiest dinner:

Throw chicken breasts in CrockPot, cover with green salsa, in the morning before work.
    Get home from work/gym, remove chicken from CrockPot and shred.
    Place in tortilla, add cheese and green taco sauce.
    Eat.

So good. (And my 13-year-old can indeed do this.) :p
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I thought of a few more. Take home a roast chicken with a bagged salad.

Get yourself some frozen meatballs.

Buy some canned sauces and you can have a different meal every night.

Uncle Bens has heat and serve rice.

You can find fresh pasta in the cooler section.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    For me I like to get some Ahi Tuna, Salmon, or chicken and a bag salad like asian or kale from Costco or Sam's. I defrost the frozen fish or chicken in a pot of water. Coat the fish in olive oil and some pepper or sesame seeds. Get the cast iron skillet raging hot and sear it. I have gotten into a habit of using wasabi paste on the Tuna and salmon too.
  • BeatrizR98
    BeatrizR98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you're not into cooking, baking, grilling then you'll pay extra for the convenience of pre-cooked meats. That said, here are a few suggestions. Boiled eggs are available in many deli sections of your local grocer. There are also rotisserie chickens in many grocers. Buy one or two and add different sauces for a variety of flavors - BBQ sauce, honey mustard, marinara sauce, teriyaki sauce, peanut/ginger sauce, etc. Some deli counters have pre-cooked shredded meats like shredded barbacoa beef and carnitas. Buy some whole wheat tortillas or wraps, add your meat of choice, sprinkle some cheese, add your condiments of choice (guacamole, pico de gallo, salsa, sour cream) and you're done. Good luck!
  • BeatrizR98
    BeatrizR98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One more thing...if you don't consider a slow cooker as part of your definition of cooking, then I strongly suggest buying one. Most meats slow cook by themselves, unattended in 4-6 hours. Put your meat in, flavor it and walk away. Just look up some You Tube videos from body builders who use this method for its convenience. It might be the one kitchen tool a non-cook will truly appreciate.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the above poster. A crock pot is a lazy person's best friend. They even make liners- No clean up! Throw in meat, veg, and a seasoning packet. Turn it on low and dinner is ready for you when you get home.