Sick today....

Options
I've been on this program since the beginning of June. I've lost a little weight, not much. I burn more off exercising than what I eat. But, I'm sticking with it! This morning I woke up with what appears to be a stomach bug. I'm not hungry at all but I don't want to exercise either! Is this going to destroy my day & progress I've made so far??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    One day is no big deal. I never force myself to exercise when I'm ill. Just be nice to yourself today and get back on it tomorrow (or when you are recovered).
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    This is exactly the time to take a break from exercise. Your body needs to heal itself. Rest up, and feel better soon!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've been on this program since the beginning of June. I've lost a little weight, not much. I burn more off exercising than what I eat. But, I'm sticking with it! This morning I woke up with what appears to be a stomach bug. I'm not hungry at all but I don't want to exercise either! Is this going to destroy my day & progress I've made so far??

What do you mean you burn off more exercising than you eat? That isn't a good idea, and you will continue to get sick eating so little. If you burn more than you eat, that would be like not eating at all on days you don't exercise.

Follow MFP, if it says eat 1400 calories, and you burn 600, you should then be eating 2000 calories to hit your goal of 1400, as 2000-600 = 1400.
  • pfbuckeye83
    pfbuckeye83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I come close to the calories MFP says I should be eating. But I've never exceeded them. The summer is especially hard as I live in Arizona and the heat just makes me nauseous. I also have rheumatoid arthritis which, I follow my PT orders and push myself hard to finish all the exercises he wants me to do. I also have digestive issues which only add to making it hard to eat. I'm always feeling full! I measure everything I eat on my scale. I understand what you are saying and I'm trying my best.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Given the challenges you have with your body I would advise that slow and steady is the best plan. Rest when you are sick. Eat nourishing foods.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You should be ok. I was really sick for two weeks so no gym but I kept within my cals and still lost almost two inches off my waist without exercise. Haven't weighed in yet but it's still possible to lose weight even if u miss gym time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    I come close to the calories MFP says I should be eating. But I've never exceeded them. The summer is especially hard as I live in Arizona and the heat just makes me nauseous. I also have rheumatoid arthritis which, I follow my PT orders and push myself hard to finish all the exercises he wants me to do. I also have digestive issues which only add to making it hard to eat. I'm always feeling full! I measure everything I eat on my scale. I understand what you are saying and I'm trying my best.

What about the calories you earned from exercise? Are you eating them as well?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. :)
  • pfbuckeye83
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I am starting to believe I really don't understand the program?! If it says I've exceeded my protein, fat goals then should I only consume carbs the rest of the day. Does doing exercises change the chart? I've no idea what I'm doing, I guess?!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I am starting to believe I really don't understand the program?! If it says I've exceeded my protein, fat goals then should I only consume carbs the rest of the day. Does doing exercises change the chart? I've no idea what I'm doing, I guess?!

The protein and fat are minimums, not maximums. If you've met your goals there and want to have more protein or fat, it's fine (unless you have a medical reason to limit either that you haven't shared).

• kshama2001
    Options

Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • pfbuckeye83
    Options
    No, there aren't any other health problems. It just is confusing to me! Do you add back in your exercise calories, or just meet your calories goal? Maybe it's just me, as I'm no nutritionist, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of exercising? I have not eaten the calories burned from exercise. Am I supposed to?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You shouldn't be burning more off with exercise than you eat. You burn calories 24/7...most of your "burn" is derived from your mere existence. Then you burn calories just going about your day to day. If you're actually burning more calories with exercise than you're eating, that means you're leaving absolutely nothing for basic existence and day to day stuff.

Just as an example, I burn around 400ish calories on a typical morning ride...that pales in comparison to the 1800ish calories I burn merely existing on this planet and the 600ish+ I burn going about my day to day. In total I maintain my weight on 2800-3000 calories and lose weight eating around 2300 - 2500 calories per day...I'm not burning more calories with exercise than I'm eating...I'm burning more calories in total than what I'm eating...ie, being alive, doing my daily, and exercise.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    No, there aren't any other health problems. It just is confusing to me! Do you add back in your exercise calories, or just meet your calories goal? Maybe it's just me, as I'm no nutritionist, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of exercising? I have not eaten the calories burned from exercise. Am I supposed to?

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. MFP already created a deficit for you. Exercising adds to that deficit. Creating too much of a deficit can lead to fatigue, etc.

However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

My FitBit One is far less generous with calories than the MFP database and I comfortably eat 100% of the calories I earn from it back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Personally I agree with not eating back the calories from exercising because if it didnt add to my weight loss I would not do it. But I only go to the gym 2 times a week and don't spend more than half an hour there at a time.
    How much do you work out? Burning a few hundred extra calories a week is no big deal but if you're consistently burning a lot each day then it would become unhealthy fast.
    The way MFP works is it tells you how much you should consume a day but when you work out it tells you to eat back what you burned. Take away the calories burned from what you have eaten that day and if the number isn't close to what MFP says you should eat a day then you might want to eat more.
  • pfbuckeye83
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I work out everyday but Sunday. I try to be extremely vigorous with my workouts, although I do spread them out over the whole day. Typically about 2 hours. My daily goal is 1250 calories. I usually end up consuming about 1000. When I add in the exercises, it will tell me to eat 1700+ more calories. That's just too much food for me. I typically only eat raw organic vegetables, snack on almonds & cashews (raw, organic, unsalted), make my own smoothies so I know exactly what is in it. Sometimes I eat meat, but it's pretty rare. I tend to not eat anything prepackaged. I lost 60 lbs on my own by changing my diet and doing more exercises. But, since finding this app and logging everything I'm stuck at 158 and have been for about a month!