What is the nastiest thing you've ever eaten?

Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
There was a bag of trail mix on my friends coffee table with just a bit left in it so I grabbed it and threw it in my mouth..........she had spit in it (she had a bad spitting habit) and just hadn't thrown it away yet. WORST DAY!! I immediately started throwing up, I still can't think about it without dry heaving. I bet mine is the nastiest but am curious if anyone has eaten anything nastier lol

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Lutefisk. (Fish treated in lye) A delicacy in Norway. Anything that looks like a slimy grey lump of jello on your plate and has to have its flavour hidden by peas, bacon, bacon grease, lots of mustard and potatoes just to avoid gagging from it, is best avoided.

I don't think the waitress had spat on it, but honestly it looked so unappetising that it would be hard to notice.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Wife and friends and I went out one night drinking (this was 20+ years ago). We came home late but had stopped and purchased big gulps at the local 7-Eleven before going home and going to bed. I probably drank maybe a 3rd of mine. In the morning I got up, and after a night of drinking I wanted something cold/quick to drink so I grabbed my big gulp and drank a whole bunch of it quickly. Only problem was some *kitten* had emptied the nearest ashtray into it without telling anyone. I was sick as a dog for the rest of the day lol. Beyond that the only two things i ever ate that were actually food that were horrible was black licorice (I hate that flavor), or those little hairy salty fish they put on pizza lol (anchovies).
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Salmiak. It's salty licorice candy I had in Iceland. Completely disgusting.
  • xylia1225
    xylia1225 Posts: 15 Member
    I tried caviar in Russia, while staying with a host family, and had to try so hard not to just spit it out immediately. Blech. It was the big orange kind, so it was just like huge gooey balls of salty fish pee flavor >.<
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    Why on earth would anyone eat a live animal? give the thing at least some dignity before you eat it for *kitten* sake

They just chop it up in front of you and it's still squirming around when you eat it. Muscle motor neurons and such.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    It was a live grub worm out of an old rotten log. You had to chew it fast or swallow it whole or they could bite your tongue. I was blind folded & it was part of an initiation into a camping fraternity.
    Unfortunately for me, the year after I got in, they stopped using real worms & used cooked shrimp rolled around in coffee grounds & made initiates just think it was a real grub. That would have been so much easier to choke down. Now they don't even have to do that to get in. Their pansies now.

nwh9nc8pbhna.jpg
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Why on earth would anyone eat a live animal? give the thing at least some dignity before you eat it for *kitten* sake

They just chop it up in front of you and it's still squirming around when you eat it. Muscle motor neurons and such.

@LittleHearseDriver dis twue?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited July 2017
    Dulse, a favored snack in Nova Scotia of dried seaweed. Blech! Much worse than the dried squid strips a Taiwanese friend loves though similarly salty, dry and unchewable. If I must choose, I prefer the slight seafood flavor of the squid strips to the mineral taste of the dulse. P'tooie!
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    live baby octopus in a korean fish market. i got horrible food poisoning, but it wasn't from the octopus, i think it was the other raw fish that they brained on the ground then served us.

eta: the octopus wins because it actually fights on the way down and uses the little suckers to grab onto your tongue and cheeks.

That's just horrifying :p:p
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    I heard the bat lady actually ended up eating some the bats in her house.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member

LittleHearseDriver dis twue?

4txfpnrua0pc.jpg

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Soft serve that had gone bad. Maybe not the grossest but definitely the largest contrast between reality and expectation.