Frozen meals?

Options
Hey all! Wondering what are some good healthy frozen meal options. I'm going grocery shopping today and would love to pick up some frozen meals to try. Looking into Lean Cuisine, anyone have favorites?

Also, feel free to add me :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Healthy is a pretty relative term, especially when some may tend to avoid frozen meals due to a higher sodium count. I like Evol and a few Smart Ones. Lean Cuisine is tasteless imo.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For me, basically none of them are healthy used on a regular basis. I have hypertension and those things are loaded with sodium...more than on an a rare occasion, and my blood pressure will be running super hot. I don't like them anyway, so it's pretty much a non issue. If I'm going to blow my sodium out of the water, I'm going to do it with something I enjoy.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I gave up long ago on frozen meals. Too small and full of sodium. Have you ever tried cans of soup? I often make some instant brown rice and sometimes add a can of beans to the meal.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I live off them,however I add vegetables to the pasta ones and I take out their"chicken" and add my own,it rounds the calories to about 400 for lunch doing that but I do stay full
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I use to eat a simple salad and lean cuisine for lunch everyday. It was perfect and convenient. There are a lot of other good meal options out there too, but I like lean cuisine the best for taste. Depending how many calories you're looking to consume, Amy's has a lot of wonderful things too - usually higher in calories than lean cuisines.

I'll probably go back to them when it gets colder out. Nice to have a hot meal on a cold day that took minimal effort.
  • Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I like frozen meals for lunches, I've started eating a few favorites for dinner out of pure laziness.

I LOVE Amy's Mexican enspired frozen meals. They are all vegitarian and I'm a not but I don't even miss the meat. The cheese enchilada and mexcian casserole are pretty good and under 400 calories although the carbs are a little high if your worried about that. I can't really speak for their other meals but I imagine they're just as tasty.

I also like healthy choice cafe steamer in the meatball Marinara variety. I'm not a huge fan of processed meat but this isn't bad for 280 calories and 18g of protein.

I will also eat a few smart ones meals my favorite of there's is the spinach and ricotta pasta which is under 300 calories and around 15-20 grams of protein.

Frozen meals all tend to be pretty low on protein and high in carbs and sodium. This hasn't been a big issue for me because I have a protein bar for breakfast and my dinner is typically meat and veggies with a small serving of potato or pasta.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I love Lean Cuisine and I have one with a whole bag of steam-in-bag veggies for supper most nights. I'll sometimes add some Mrs. Dash to enhance the flavor.

Here are the ones I eat most frequently:

48l4l5ixlpi2.jpg
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I love Amy's frozen meals, but always add an extra serving or two of veggies. (Broccoli cheese pasta bake - I'm talking to you ;) )
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If it's a convenience thing, it's fairly easy to make your own frozen meals ahead of time. I make my own frozen chicken burritos using shredded salsa chicken (chicken breast cooked in crockpot with taco mix and salsa), la tortilla low carb tortillas, and fat free refried black beans. I then wrap them in paper towels and store them in ziplock bags. You just nuke them in the microwave (paper towel still on) on express defrost until done. I also measure all of the ingredients carefully for each burrito so I know exactly how many calories are in each one. Soups, stews, and chili also freeze really well and are much cheaper/tastier/healthier than most things you find in the freezer section. If you're really in a pinch, though, I do like Lean Cuisine's Thai Style Chicken Spring Rolls.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers are the best :+1:
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I just had the "new" Lean Cuisine asparagus ravioli for lunch today and really enjoyed it. Will definitely buy again (maybe tomorrow).
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Can't seem to edit my previous post. I used to love Amy's products and ate them a lot, but I feel like they have gone downhill.
    Tandoor Chef has some nice meals, if you like Indian food.
  • Vevvie
    Vevvie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Amy's Mexican enspired frozen meals.
    I would eat Amy's Kitchen frozen Mexican meals every day if I could! I like the ones you mentioned, and lately I've been loving the Sante Fe Enchilada Bowl, and the Mexican Tofu Scramble. Luckily (or maybe not), there's an Amy's Kitchen drive-thru restaurant near me, which is both awesome, and a temptation - hahaa! Burritos, veggie burgers, pizzas, etc.
  • Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Vevvie wrote: »
    I would eat Amy's Kitchen frozen Mexican meals every day if I could! I like the ones you mentioned, and lately I've been loving the Sante Fe Enchilada Bowl, and the Mexican Tofu Scramble. Luckily (or maybe not), there's an Amy's Kitchen drive-thru restaurant near me, which is both awesome, and a temptation - hahaa! Burritos, veggie burgers, pizzas, etc.

Ommmgg where do you live, I didn't know she had actual resteraunts !!!
  • Vevvie
    Vevvie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ajocal18 wrote: »
    Vevvie wrote: »

Ommmgg where do you live, I didn't know she had actual resteraunts !!!

I live in Sonoma County, California, where I think Amy's began, and also where the corporate headquarters is located. The restaurant is in Rohnert Park, CA, just south of Santa Rosa. amysdrivethru.com

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I like the Amy's pizzas a lot as well as random breakfast stuff, but definitely also try "Gardein" brands. They have a lot of frozen "staples" that are pretty low cal and Vegan. I'm not Vegan, but I like the Asian Chicken (no chicken) with sauce and the Chipotle Black Bean Patties (Burgers) so that you can easily make your own easy, fast meals without being stuck with just boxed options.

It's usually in the Organic/Natural section of regular grocery stores like Giant Eagle and mixed in with normal groceries at big box stores like Target. Also... "Smart Bacon" is delicious (also Vegan) and even less calories than regular bacon. BLTs!!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Another I like are Trader Joe's. But always check the nutritional labels.
  • nikki_dw
    nikki_dw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Amy's meals are great! I feel much better about eating them over Lean Cuisine because the ingredients are mostly clean. Eat one of those with a side salad and you have a decently healthy meal.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Smart made brand is my favorite, I have tried every flavor I can find and haven't been disappointed yet! Even my husband loves them and he is SUPER selective about what he eats/flavors/frozen meat. They come out perfect every time and they are super low cal and very tasty. Frozen "healthy" meals are a godsend in my opinion, they give variety and deliciousness without the time and effort, plus since they are pre portioned it's much easier for me not to over eat like I normally would if something tastes that good.
  • BurgerLovinBulker
    BurgerLovinBulker Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My own....#mealpreplife

Although, it is a bit hypocritical of me to say that as I tried meal prep for a week and hated the taste of frozen food so much that I just went back to preparing from fresh.