Biking with a trailor and 3 yr old HELP!!!!!!!

Options
koylefam
koylefam Posts: 142 Member
So I was pulling a bike trailor with a 3 yr old in it. and according to the equation I have for how to figure your calories burned based on heart rate I got 546..... so what is right??? mfp says only 144 ... I weigh 159 the trailor is 25lbs and the three yr old is 28lbs.. my heart rate was at a minimum of 140bpm. For 30 milutes/3 miles

Replies

• spiderlegz
    Options
    I don't have a specific answer, but find it's generally best to go with the lowest of the estimates for exercise, or highest for food when unsure.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    HRM is your answer :)
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    A few weeks back I did 9.3 miles in 46 min. with my two year old in a trailer. At the time my weight was 219 lb. Don't know about my trailer and my kid off hand. My HRM indicated a 536 calorie burn. I suspect your 500+ calculation is a bit high but the144 cals is definitely low. Meet in the middle somewhere?
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I usually burn a little more than that, but not much, I think 546 is too high, but I also think 144 is way too low. I have that exercise put in mine because I wear a HRM, I just put 30 min, and it said I would burn 200. But I am also lighter than you so I burn less.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    I'm with papastu, a HRM is your true answer. But with those givens I'd say you burned more than 144 calories.
  • Trezzy
    Trezzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I biked with my 3 yr old and 6 month old in a trailer for 40 minutes with my HRM I burned 450. I weigh significantly more than you (about 215) and my heart rate was around 140 to 170 depending on the hill. LOL! Hope that helps
  • Trezzy
    Trezzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I biked with my 3 yr old and 6 month old in a trailer for 40 minutes with my HRM I burned 450. I weigh significantly more than you (about 215) and my heart rate was around 140 to 170 depending on the hill. LOL! Hope that helps
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you can try this website. I have heard from several people that also use HRM have found it to be pretty accurate.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    On MFP if you go to the exercise tab, then go to database, you can select an exercise from the drop down menu, you can put in your weight and the time spent doing the exercise and it will give you an estimate of how many calories you have burnt.

If I were you, I would add your weight to the trailer and your child and calculate the calories burnt for that total weight doing the exercise you have done.

I think it will come out at around 300cals for you. :)
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    S I did the MFP data base like you said and added the weigh of my little girl and the trailer and came out almost 300. I found a web site that said after doing the scientific equation riding with a traler is the same as doubling your calorie burn without pulling a trialer and they came out to be about the same. So from now on I will just take what i would burn riding alone and double it.. THANKS EVERYONE!!!