C25K on treadmill

Options
amyr271
amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
I have recently started the C25K programme, however I am currently running at the gym on a treadmill. I will admit this is mainly due to laziness as I dislike thinking about routes to take round my neighbourhood and preparing for the weather. Like I said, lazy.

Anyway, I want to start signing up to 5/10K runs however I was wondering how well running 5K on a treadmill translates to running 5K outside. Has anyone had any issues? Any advice?

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I have heard that setting the treadmill up hill setting to 1 comes close to running on the road, but I don't know from experience. I hate using machines. A minute feels like an hour on them.

My sister uses a treadmill and tells me she can run 3 miles on it but can't run even 1 mile on the ground.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I completed the entire program in a treadmill and that translated well into an outside 5K. Based on the treadmill speed and incline I was planning for a 35 minute completion time of my first 5K, but I actually completed the 5K in 29 minutes, so a big improvement. The only issue was that running in a treadmill for me was boring. Other than that no issues.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    generally speaking the treadmill is easier.

if you want to get better at running outside, run outside.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    the treadmill gives a bit of bounce to your steps which lowers impact. for some that may not make a big difference but it did for me. i found when i was running exclusively on the treadmill, even at 1.5 incline, it did not translate well into running outside. my first outdoor run i was feeling pathetic after a mile. part of that was also the heat.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I actually find running outside easy than running in the treadmill. The enjoyment factor may play a big role, and the fact that I don't need to be subject to a constant speed makes thing easier.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The treadmill incline won't really match the outdoors. I find the treadmill easier and the outside harder, poster above finds the opposite for their reasons. I will say that even though they are both running they are quite different movements and efforts in a technical sense which is why we have such different experience with them. In a regular real world run, you are using your muscles to propel your body weight, but on the treadmill the floor is being whisked away so the majority of the effort comes from the raising of the legs for the next stride, rather than the push off, if you can see the difference? Either way, be sure to stretch your hips as well as quads, hams and calves. I found the treadmill really bothered my hip flexors to start.
  • lottogirly
    lottogirly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think I need the treadmill on an incline to tell me how fast I'm going. I can't get that outside and I tend to go slower if I'm not monitoring.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my C25K on a treadmill! For me, it's easier than road running, but I'm okay with that--for now. I'm working on building stamina right now, and being able to set a predetermined pace is a huge help for me because no matter how slow I try to go, I always end up speeding up.

Eventually I'll have to work on that, but stamina first.
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my C25K on a treadmill. I try to keep the incline at 1, but lower it a bit for some of the longer intervals. I like being able to see my exact speed and distance.

My plan is to do a few runs outside before the actual race, but the first event I'm signed up for isn't until late October. I'm waiting until it's not so hot outside before trying to run there. As long as you recognize there will be a difference and can mentally get past that, I think you'll be okay.
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am in week 7 right now and I have found that no matter what I have done on the treadmill it does NOT equal out to the out door portion. If you think about it running on a treadmill that is powered it is helping you with your momentum equaling the use of less energy on your part.

Outside you are what is propelling you/yourself along, there for you will use MUCH more energy. I have found that I can do the 2.25/2.5 on the treadmill non stop, but when I try to do it outside I get tired VERY fast and once I get to about 1.5 I start to lag/cramp up. To me that is a HUGE difference.

I am working on just cardio/stamina as well. I am not planning on running a 5K anytime soon, so I am not as worried about my distance/time etc. I am trying to get in what it says for distance on the treadmill, not worrying about the 30 min timeframe (usually 40 min or so for the 2.5) If you are working towards an outdoor run I would make most of your training outdoors to start with. Inside occasionally.

This is just my experience/thoughts. No scientific reasoning/proof behind it. Good luck and keep moving forward! I have had to repeat 1 week so far, and IT'S OK!! You got this!
  • kc286496
    kc286496 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's really different for everybody. Most people consider the treadmill to be easier. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I definitely don't believe that setting the incline simulates running on pavement in any way, shape, or form (other than maybe to mimic the calorie burn). And not all treadmills are the same. The ones at my work gym are heavy duty, industrial treadmills that have no bounce to them at all. The one in my basement is more of a personal treadmill that is much easier on my joints. An 8-min mile doesn't feel the same on those two machines. I will say that treadmill running exclusively really isn't a great substitute for getting outside on the roads -- if your goal is to run road races. The treadmill is a great tool for getting an aerobic workout and it's great for easy recovery runs because it's a lot easier on your joints. I try to incorporate the treadmill once a week for easy runs; but ultimately your muscles really need to learn how to adapt to the diversity of the road terrain.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Personally: I run faster outside than on the treadmill.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't run on a treadmill, so I can't address that. But either way, it shouldn't stop you from signing up for an event. There are always lots of walkers and run/walk participants. There is no shame in walking part of the distance (or all of it).
  • govenderd1
    govenderd1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough, I find running outside easier than on a treadmill at 0.5% incline. Not very scientfic, but at an average of 80% heart rate, I run a 6min/km for 5km on a treadmill and 5:30/km for 5km outside. The outside run has an average gradient of 1.7%. Treadmill feels like much more effort!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    govenderd1 wrote: »
    Strangely enough, I find running outside easier than on a treadmill at 0.5% incline. Not very scientfic, but at an average of 80% heart rate, I run a 6min/km for 5km on a treadmill and 5:30/km for 5km outside. The outside run has an average gradient of 1.7%. Treadmill feels like much more effort!

I always feel this way too, I run 30 seconds to a full minute per mile faster outside at the same perceived effort. I think it's just easier for me when I feel like I'm going somewhere, lol.

I like my treadmill and I use it extensively, particularly in the winter since I live somewhere with months of snow, ice, and -30 type temps. But running outside is always a little easier for me for sure.

OP, I did my first C25K mostly on the treadmill and I didn't find the transition too noticeable at all, for what it's worth.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I did C25K on the TM because I was so self-conscious about looking ridiculous when I ran. The big hill I have to go up when I leave my street was also really intimidating. When I finally started running outside, it felt really hard, both because of the hills around my home and needing to set my own pace. I did a few outside runs before my first 5k and it helped a lot on race day. I wouldn't have wanted my first outdoor run to be a race. Once I was used to it, I split my runs so in good weather I ran outside, in bad weather I did the TM. My definition of bad has changed with time. Generally I find it easier to run outside. I am comfortable at a faster pace outdoors. It is more interesting visually and mentally, so the miles seem to pass much more quickly. OTOH, I like doing speedwork on the TM because I can keep the pace consistent. In some ways that isn't a good thing, because it is good to learn how to set the pace yourself but without access to a track, and with hills all around, it's hard to be consistent on the roads.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses, what I'm hearing is that I basically need to just get outside and run to see how it feels.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's not that treadmill is easier, running is running. There are slight modifications to running mechanics but most of the difference in perceived effort has to do with other factors. Some find treadmill running harder because of the inability to intuitively vary pace as they run, others find it easier because they run faster outside. The problem with treadmill vs outside is that if you do most of your training on your treadmill you don't get to learn how to pace yourself on ground so you may run slower/faster and not even know it which translates into easier/harder runs outside (usually harder).

I do mostly treadmill, but when I do it on ground I deliberately slow myself down to what feels like a very easy pace to start, but turns out to be comparable to my treadmill pace. If I start at what "feels" like a similar pace I end up at a faster pace and wear myself out faster. My legs on their own without instruction tend to want to move faster, but my lungs can't catch up.