Weight loss without exercise ?

Options
Ive always lost weight by eating healthily and going to the gym 3/4 times a week. But now due to a skin condition I can no longer go to the gym as I get that hot and sweaty it triggers my condition to get worse .. long story short .. is it still possible to loose weight without going to the gym?? Helpppp

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible. You lose weight by consistently eating less than you burn. Exerice is good for you though. Exercise also doesn't have to be hot and sweaty.
  • GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? Or walk? I love doing those things!
  • GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    But yes, you can still lose weight without exercise. But exercise feels good!
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Yep, I lost 50lbs without exercise being a factor.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have difficulty exercising due to ehlers danlos hypermobility type, and I've lost 40lbs so far.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ellet123 wrote: »
    Ive always lost weight by eating healthily and going to the gym 3/4 times a week. But now due to a skin condition I can no longer go to the gym as I get that hot and sweaty it triggers my condition to get worse .. long story short .. is it still possible to loose weight without going to the gym?? Helpppp

Does this also inhibit you from going outside?

In other words, is it sweating/temperature that triggers the condition or is it the irritation of the sweat resting on your skin?

It's possible that high-performance moisture wicking fabrics may provide substantial relief/assistance.
  • mikaylah95
    mikaylah95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've lost 20 lbs so far with diet change alone.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I second the swimming unless chlorine is also an aggravating factor.

Water jogging is wonderful cardio.

And yes, it is definitely possible to lose weight through calorie restriction alone.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes but you don't have to get sweaty to exercise...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    ellet123 wrote: »

Yes, you can lose weight without exercise. However, exercise has many benefits in addition to helping create a calorie deficit.

I don't sweat when I lift weights in a well air conditioned gym. Ditto for walking on the treadmill or using a recumbent bike at an easy to moderate pace. YMMV. Lifting weights made my ex sweat like a pig.

I also don't sweat when I do moderate yoga in air conditioning. (Sun Salutations do make me sweat, especially if I'm jumping rather than stepping. Moon Salutations do not.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I second the swimming unless chlorine is also an aggravating factor.

Water jogging is wonderful cardio.

And yes, it is definitely possible to lose weight through calorie restriction alone.

It's fresh water swim season here in Massachusetts, hooray!