Alternative to an Overhead Press??

Options
kmaf2018
kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
Hi all

I have shoulder impingement in my left shoulder which I'm currently seeing a physio for, it is feeling better however it still feels a bit uncomfortable when doing an OH press! It feels less uncomfortable if I do a push press - are push presses just as good as a strict OH press?

Thanks

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go overhead at all until it's completely healed. What does your physio say?
  • kmaf2018
    Options
    She said I can but stay low weight
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Dealing with impingement myself right now in the same shoulder and also certified to help people rehab injury, I'm gonna tell you don't bother with any overhead pressing at all till it's resolved. If you can still do laterals, just stick to that till you're recovered.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kmaf2018
    Options
    Yeah I can do them and they are included in my workout too, my physio told me to do these too! I have exercises that I so aswell that my physio gave so I do them each evening with a resistance band (physio gave me the band)!

Thanks for the advice! I love laterals so all good for me haha!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You could do landmine presses if you have the setup. Barring that, I agree that you should avoid any overhead presses. Look up exercises for shoulder impingement and get some ideas.

Given that most people have suboptimal scapular control, a case can be made that most people should avoid overhead pressing--at least until they improve shoulder mechanics.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    KMAF00 wrote: »
    Yeah I can do them and they are included in my workout too, my physio told me to do these too! I have exercises that I so aswell that my physio gave so I do them each evening with a resistance band (physio gave me the band)!

Thanks for the advice! I love laterals so all good for me haha!
    The key to recovery is following the plan with consistency. Basically like anything else in life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Another option is to do the overhead press with a partial range of motion, without straightening your arms. :+1:
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    After I jacked up my shoulder I don't lift anything more than my bodyweight over my head. I stick to wall pushups or variations to lift with my shoulders.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    When I've had shoulder issues in the past, I found the hammer strength shoulder press a nice compromise.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I just finished Physical Therapy in May for my back and my right rotator cuff and also lift doing OH presses and power presses. I just always go lighter on my shoulders and give them a break by modifying "presses" holding weight plates instead, so that I'm still getting the motion/push and benefits(some of them, at least)... but more control and less risk of re-injury.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i get minor impingement sometimes. physio once that really helped it, but my body has a bad habit of wanting to sleep on that side with the shoulder in a poor position.

personally, whenever i get on a rehab-the-shoulder kick it sort of turns into a project and a 'lift' in its own right for a while. so i don't worry or mind very much about 'missing' the main lift that the problem is keeping me from.

once i'm on the right track again, i start adding that lift back in almost as if it was an accessory to the rotator cuff work. so i'll work on my rear rotators as the 'main' thing, and then at some point i'll start finishing those sessions with light-light-light practice at the range of motion for doing the press. personal challenge being to re-integrate what the rehab has done, with the variation that the lift itself represents.
  • fpmferreira
    fpmferreira Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is not to exercise until is fully healed.
    Eventhough, and regarding your question about strict OHP or Push Press. Yes, Push Press, correctly done, requires less effort on shoulder than strict since you use the legs.