Two weeks and done

Options
How does everyone stay motivated and determined to lose weight? I have tried multiple times to get a routine going for more than a month but always end up giving up on week one or two max. I want to lose weight I do not like the person I see in the mirror. What do I do or better yet HOW???

Replies

• ElvisPedro
    ElvisPedro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got a full length mirror and stuck up photos of my rather large self around the house. Also, being so large I couldn't buy clothes in Next really helped.
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When desired it's possible to fill in your goals, motivation on your profile page. This way able to look up anytime, staying focused on your goals.

A wish can stay a wish if not having a plan, it can become real with a plan <3

tenor.gif

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I just eat a little less and move a little more.
    This. Also the summer season makes it much easier to do the outdoor activities I love.
  • alpear
    alpear Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I signed up as part of a team to run some 5k races a few months in the future and I was so afraid of letting my team down that I started doing couch to 10K 3x a week. After a few months healthy eating just came naturally as I started to feel better and have more energy. And then running wasn't a chore anymore and I started to enjoy. Then we signed up for more months down the road and I wanted to beat my record so kept training. I'm a very competitive person so that's what works for me.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    You may be making too big a deal of things and psyching yourself out. Make smaller changes (for example, eat the same things, just less of it, or allow yourself to have dessert 2 times a week) and you'll be more likely to stick with it - not only because it's easier to adhere to the plan but also because you don't have it in your head upfront that weight loss is hard.

Figure out a plan that works for you and promise yourself to honestly commit to it for a month. If you stick with your plan long enough to actually start seeing results, the momentum will follow.

All of the above suggestions are well and good but if you don't have the internal willpower to even stick with a plan for 4 short weeks, then there's nothing that anybody else can do to help you. If self-loathing isn't enough of a motivation to do it, find one. Kids, family, health, dating, vanity...anything that gives you a reason to believe.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to change too many things at once? Change just a few things. Start off by just logging everything you eat for a week or two. Try to do it accurately. Maybe add in a little exercise - a short walk perhaps. See what you can sustain. It doesn't have to be "all or nothing."
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Weight loss videos on YouTube!
  • xandra47
    xandra47 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For me, I HAD to push though that first month! I committed to 30 minutes of cardio every single day for the first 30 days, no excuses, no exceptions. It took alot of discipline but if I'd sat around waiting to feel motivated I'd still be sitting around, fat and sad. Discipline was the key for me, don't over think it just get up and do it! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    How does everyone stay motivated and determined to lose weight? I have tried multiple times to get a routine going for more than a month but always end up giving up on week one or two max. I want to lose weight I do not like the person I see in the mirror. What do I do or better yet HOW???

Common issues:

- Trying to change too many things all at once...this is a process, you're not just going to flip a switch and change the way you live your life.
    - Calorie deficit is too steep...you're not going to lose all of the weight overnight...the more aggressive the approach, the more likely you are to just burn out. A reasonable deficit is pretty easy to maintain.
    - Being overly restrictive on certain foods and having a myopic view on nutrition...
    - Trying to go from none to all of the exercise...
    - Unrealistic expectations...in the real world, the Biggest Loser isn't reality.
    - Scale obsession and putting all of your eggs into that basket...there's a lot more to health and fitness than the number on the scale.
    - Thinking you're always going to be "on" and if you aren't, it's reason to give up...this is another completely unrealistic expectation...you're never, ever, ever going to be perfect all of the time...nobody is. In fact, sometimes I'm not perfect on purpose...'cuz life is fun.

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I do my best to remember that a) it's as much or more about how much you eat as what you eat...so if you want to have one slice of pizza for lunch and then fill up on salad go for it. And b) that one mistake doesn't mean everything is ruined...so you ate more than you planned one day? So what? Keep going. In fact, build in a day like that every other week or so in order to break the tension and keep from going crazy. There's nothing wrong with small indulgences along the way, they make life worth living.

Eta: exercise doesn't have to be an hour of gut churning cardio. You CAN go for a walk every night and enjoy it.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Start small and work on one thing at a time. I did all the crash diets and even had a lapband. None of that worked. There is no magic. I didn't lose weight until I just started changing things slowly and found what I could live with. I walk every day; I don't do the gym. I'm sure the gym would be good but I wouldn't stick with it. Maybe down the road that will happen. Baby steps my friend. Make sure you can live with the plan you use. It may take a while and you can never go back to what you were doing before if you want to maintain so it needs to be something you can live with. I've lost over 100 pounds and I'm 60 years old. You can do it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

It's actually easy. The only thing you have to learn to do is "Log Your Food". All the other stuff that makes you lose weight is just magic that happens in your head after you patiently persistently, accurately, and honestly log your food.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I decided to do it. I got on a plan. I committed myself to it and after a while it became a way of life for me. People ask me why I decided to do it. I was plain tired of the way I was and I knew it was time to make a change. When I look at pictures of how I used to look and think about the way I used to feel I know that I have to keep going.
  • ayuri17
    ayuri17 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself too much. If you go from eating lots of fast food and sedentary to suddenly deciding you need to eat 100% "healthy" foods only and exercise 5 times a week, it is easy to fail. To start with, just do 1 thing. You can eat the same exact foods you used to eat, just choose smaller portion sizes. You can still have dessert and pizza every day if you want, just have less of it.

And then once you feel ready, you can start including exercise and healthier food choices.
  • bralbrmc
    bralbrmc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue trying to get started and just could​ not get going consistently until about 2weeks ago. I set reminder messeges on my phone to motivate me throughout​ the day, specifically when I typically want to eat out. Just simple sayings that remind me why I want to lose weight. It really helped kicked me into gear and so far so good. Hope you find your groove!