1 Gallon of Water a Day?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »
    I tried drinking a lot more water than my usual yesterday... maybe 2litres and I dropped a full pound today so It's definitely going to get rid of the water weight. I then checked out websites about how much I should drink per day and it's apparently around 1 liter per 50lbs! They also say it boosts your metabolism but not sure how much truth is in that. Also, you would have to drink many liters in a short period of time to have water intoxication so I wouldn't worry. I don't think 1 gallon for a 200lbs+ person would be to much but maybe for a small person?
    I'm definitely going to up my water intake!

Drinking water does not boost your metabolism. Drinking water hydrates you, keeps you regular, helps with muscle repair from exercise and helps flush excess sodium (and the accompanying water retention) from your system. Pretty helpful things in and of themselves, but boosting metabolism isn't one of them. :)

But it does effect on the amount of calories you burn..... The original definition of a calorie was the amount of energy needed to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. Albeit not a crazy amount calories unless you're drinking gallons and gallons of water, it does have an effect.

It's somewhere between 5 and 8 calories to heat up the cold water to reach your normal body temperature. With drinking a very normal 8 glasses a day, that would put you at 40-64 calories a day. If you are an active individual who drinks a lot of water, that could be 80-128 calories a day from drinking a gallon of cold water a day. Obviously this is not going to make or break you weight loss, but it does have an effect on the amount of calories you burn a day.
    In the literal sense yes, you do burn more calories with an ice cold glass of water versus a tepid glass of the same amount. But it's splitting hairs here. If people think that "hey all I gotta do is drink more ice cold water to burn more calories" we're basically talking the calorie amount to get up off the couch, go the the cupboard, fill the glass of water, drink it and then go back down to sit on the coach. Wouldn't it be just more sensible just to move that amount to equal that glass of water?
    I guess if people want to take every advantage they can to count every calorie they burn, drinking ice cold water would be a small benefit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I tried drinking a lot more water than my usual yesterday... maybe 2litres and I dropped a full pound today so It's definitely going to get rid of the water weight. I then checked out websites about how much I should drink per day and it's apparently around 1 liter per 50lbs! They also say it boosts your metabolism but not sure how much truth is in that. Also, you would have to drink many liters in a short period of time to have water intoxication so I wouldn't worry. I don't think 1 gallon for a 200lbs+ person would be to much but maybe for a small person?

Drinking water does not boost your metabolism. Drinking water hydrates you, keeps you regular, helps with muscle repair from exercise and helps flush excess sodium (and the accompanying water retention) from your system. Pretty helpful things in and of themselves, but boosting metabolism isn't one of them. :)

But it does effect on the amount of calories you burn..... The original definition of a calorie was the amount of energy needed to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. Albeit not a crazy amount calories unless you're drinking gallons and gallons of water, it does have an effect.

It's somewhere between 5 and 8 calories to heat up the cold water to reach your normal body temperature. With drinking a very normal 8 glasses a day, that would put you at 40-64 calories a day. If you are an active individual who drinks a lot of water, that could be 80-128 calories a day from drinking a gallon of cold water a day. Obviously this is not going to make or break you weight loss, but it does have an effect on the amount of calories you burn a day.

Except 40-64 calories = 0.040-0.064 Calories (kilocalories). In other words, it really has "no" effect.

LOL I was all excited about RAD_Fitnesse's comment and now you just killed it! But thanks for the clarification. Very true, In the end it makes no difference.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Except 40-64 calories = 0.040-0.064 Calories (kilocalories). In other words, it really has "no" effect.

LOL I was all excited about RAD_Fitnesse's comment and now you just killed it! But thanks for the clarification. Very true, In the end it makes no difference.

Yes, clearly a case of majoring in the minors. ;)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Any science behind this theory of yours that drinking cold water = measurably increased caloric burn? I'd be interested in reading that, even though the original statement was that drinking water boosts metabolism, which it doesn't.
    He's not incorrect about drinking colder water versus tepid water for more calorie burn. But it's negligible overall in weight loss. Drinking 8 ICE COLD 8 ounce glasses of water a day is about 70 calories burned. The science is there. But it's not boosting metabolic rate.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • snickerscharlie
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

In the literal sense yes, you do burn more calories with an ice cold glass of water versus a tepid glass of the same amount. But it's splitting hairs here. If people think that "hey all I gotta do is drink more ice cold water to burn more calories" we're basically talking the calorie amount to get up off the couch, go the the cupboard, fill the glass of water, drink it and then go back down to sit on the coach. Wouldn't it be just more sensible just to move that amount to equal that glass of water?
    I guess if people want to take every advantage they can to count every calorie they burn, drinking ice cold water would be a small benefit.

But if they're getting up off the couch, walking to the kitchen, getting a glass of ice water, walking back to the couch and sitting down, wouldn't that *double* the 'burn' (LOL) rather than not having gotten up off the couch at all?

There might just be something to this after all.

<runsawayquickly> ;)
  • noirelb
    Options

Any science behind this theory of yours that drinking cold water = measurably increased caloric burn? I'd be interested in reading that, even though the original statement was that drinking water boosts metabolism, which it doesn't.
    He's not incorrect about drinking colder water versus tepid water for more calorie burn. But it's negligible overall in weight loss. Drinking 8 ICE COLD 8 ounce glasses of water a day is about 70 calories burned. The science is there. But it's not boosting metabolic rate.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes but 1 grain of rice is about 100 calories - 0.1 Calories (Kilocalories) ... So it unfortunately doesn't make a difference in your actual weight loss.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Would love to see any science behind this theory of yours. Even though the original statement was that drinking water boosts metabolism, which it doesn't.

I will leave the researching up to you since it sounds like you're super interested.

You make the assertion you provide the citation, that's how it works.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you are getting more water than you are drinking simply by eating food. I don't log water, I just drink when I'm thirsty without logging. My water consumption today simply by eating food is 1.5 liters and the day is still halfway. I also drank water several times because it's hot and I was thirsty (not sure how much I drank). You are very likely not dehydrated and don't need to chug in water for no reason unless your thirst signals are very messed up.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

But if they're getting up off the couch, walking to the kitchen, getting a glass of ice water, walking back to the couch and sitting down, wouldn't that *double* the 'burn' (LOL) rather than not having gotten up off the couch at all?

<runsawayquickly> ;)
    Lol, yes that's true. But then it becomes the obsession of counting every calorie for everything they do. Walking to throw the trash away. Walking to the mailbox. The occasional wiping off of the TV screen, etc. And they get to eat those calories back if they are already in a deficit. :D:D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes but 1 grain of rice is about 100 calories - 0.1 Calories (Kilocalories) ... So it unfortunately doesn't make a difference in your actual weight loss.
    Mathematically it does IF they don't eat that extra grain of rice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• snickerscharlie
    edited July 2017
    Options

<runsawayquickly> ;)
    Lol, yes that's true. But then it becomes the obsession of counting every calorie for everything they do. Walking to throw the trash away. Walking to the mailbox. The occasional wiping off of the TV screen, etc. And they get to eat those calories back if they are already in a deficit. :D:D
    I've had (note past tense) quite a few peeps on my fl doing just that. I kept rolling my eyes so hard I was giving myself a brain scan. :)

• noirelb
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Mathematically it does IF they don't eat that extra grain of rice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

LOL! Quite accurate
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I go for 72oz but just for hydration, not weight loss.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Weird fact for the day: hot water poured in your ice cube trays will freeze faster than cold water in the trays.

(Yes, I know it is off topic but we WERE discussing benefits of cold water over other temps. I have had that bit of trivia in my brain for years and never had an excuse to use it)
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The cool (ha) benefits of water that I have found are:

- Keeps me hydrated
    - I love the taste
    - Drinking lots seems to ease DOMS for me (could just be imagined)

AND THE BEST

- Makes my poop super-smooth B)
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Drink when you are thirsty, unless you are chronically not thirsty and your pee is dark yellow, then you need to watch out. I've noticed carbonated beverages decrease my thirst level in general (not just because I drank the beverage), so if you are having problems, stop drinking that kind of beverage and see if it helps.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Weird fact for the day: hot water poured in your ice cube trays will freeze faster than cold water in the trays.

Nope.

The tiny kernel of truth that lies at the heart of this oft-repeated legend is that water brought to boiling, and then returned to room temperature, can freeze ever so slightly faster than room temperature water that wasn't brought to boiling first.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    AngelaHuo wrote: »
    Is this good for weight loss?

Drinking water has nothing to do with weight loss...keeping hydrated is a healthy thing to do...not everything is about weight loss.

There is no universally correct amount of water to drink...you just need to keep hydrated which means your urine would be pale yellow to almost clear most of the time. One's hydration needs can vary greatly...a sedentary individual isn't going to need as much hydration as a very active individual. I live in the desert at over a mile high in elevation and I'm pretty active...my hydration needs are going to be greater than someone living at sea level in a more temperate climate who is more or less sedentary...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

That's 40-64 calories THAT ARE ALREADY IN YOUR TDEE. Or do you normally not drink even a single drop of water.