Replies

• TaraDeNucci
    TaraDeNucci Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 and have an open diary. Anyone can feel free to add me
  • lagoscarrie
    lagoscarrie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Here's a great website from someone who does it as part of his maintenance. http://bradpilon.com/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I was reading a little about this, but for how long is it okay to do? It seems like it may be okay short term, but long term I don't imagine it's healthy :neutral:

Some people Intermittent Fast naturally (breakfast skippers for example) so they do it basically for the rest of their lives.

5:2 IF would become maintenance most days and a 500 or 600 calorie day here & there to maintain.

So it can be a lifestyle. But it's not for everyone. People with blood sugar issues (one example) might struggle.
  • dangerousmezzo
    dangerousmezzo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do something like 15/9 in addition to the other work I do on calorie restriction. I use an app called Zero which tracks fasting and non fasting hours per day -- very simple for me to incorporate a smaller eating window this way. Works for me at least -- I love the feeling of not eating until later in the day!
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    18/6 here. Works well for me especially keeping me inside my calories for the day.
  • lmadams196
    lmadams196 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm try it cause I need to do better for myself and I'm try the zero app for fasting I would probably do better have anyone lose any weight for this let me know thanks
  • Neens26
    Neens26 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting works differently for women than men. Our bodies react badly to stress and it can start to hold on to fat if not done correctly. You have to find what works for you but don't do it only eating one meal a day every day, also when you do alot of exercise. Have a look at Dr Eric Berg on youtube he is really informative and has a lot about insulin.
  • Hermie123451982
    Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Anyone wanna add me feel free have been doing 16/8 for 3 months and loving it.
  • OG_Fenyx
    OG_Fenyx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    IF for 6 months and have lost an average of 10 pounds a month on it. I've tried everything over the years and I don't want to jinx it, but this seems to be working.

Basically 16:8 with the occasional 20 or more hour fast. Using MFP to stay under targets, walking as much as I can, hasn't really affected my energy levels. That being said I'm a breakfast skipper when I'm working so the challenge. for me was (is) to stop eating after dinner.

Feel free to add me, good luck on reaching their goals, you can do it!
  • Trina_AMG
    Trina_AMG Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 18/6 and staying under 1k calories I've lost 6.4pounds in four days! I wish to keep it up as long as I can and hopefully my drop stays consistent. I haven't incorporated exercise yet but I will soon
  • Danielle6800
    Danielle6800 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm not anymore. But since my husband is muslim and Ramadan just recently finished I did join in with him & his family purely for my weight loss
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Neens26 wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting works differently for women than men. Our bodies react badly to stress and it can start to hold on to fat if not done correctly. You have to find what works for you but don't do it only eating one meal a day every day, also when you do alot of exercise. Have a look at Dr Eric Berg on youtube he is really informative and has a lot about insulin.

I'm female have been doing 5:2 IF for over a year and a half. I usually only eat one or two meals a day. My body has obviously not tried to hold on to any fat as I've lost 130 lbs.

You may need to expand your research to something beyond YouTube/Internet doctors. And by the way, he's a Doctor of Chiropractic, not a medical doctor. I'm not taking insulin advice from a chiropractor. Nor a doctor that sells things like his 'Raw Wheat Grass Juice' Powder on his website. Quick internet search and oh look, disciplinary action and a fine related to bogus tests. Yeah no. A little research into reputable sources can go a long way and save a lot of frustration. It's worth it.
  • SarcasticBlondie
    SarcasticBlondie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Does anyone do IF along with Keto? I've been Keto since January 1st and thinking of incorporating IF.
  • ChristinaaH84
    ChristinaaH84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Please message mlme. Very interested to learn more.
  • SiouxsieQue
    SiouxsieQue Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good to see so many people following the same 16/8 or 20/4 so easy to follow and the results speak for themselves. Anyone else feel so much more awake in the mornings?

I was never a morning person, and this was one of the many benefits I encountered after starting 16:8. I love it!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

nope. if you are in a deficit your body will not hold onto fat. stress can have an effect but even with IF you have to watch your calories. you can still gain weight eating too much and one meal a day has no bearing on weight loss.many people here lose weight and only eat one meal a day. as long as you are getting your calories in thats all that matters.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Trina_AMG wrote: »
    I've been doing 18/6 and staying under 1k calories I've lost 6.4pounds in four days! I wish to keep it up as long as I can and hopefully my drop stays consistent. I haven't incorporated exercise yet but I will soon

why are you eating under 1000 calories? are you very short? elderly?sedentary or a combo of all 3? you should not be eating less than 1200 calories unless under a drs orders. you are risking health issues if you are doing that every day,
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I started Monday morning and am really hoping it helps me lose these last 15 lbs! I was going to do the 16:8 but then I read that that is recommended for me but women should do 14:10. Has anyone else heard that or done it the 14:10 way? How did you like it and did you have good results? :) Thanks in advance!

meal timing doesnt matter for weight loss. so if you want to do 14:10 do that but its not going to be any different for men vs women.I was doing 16:8 for years and now I decided not to fast anymore. its just im hungrier now earlier because Im more active.to lose weight you have to be in a deficit of calories and the last 15lbs will take awhile to lose. the less you have to lose the longer it will take.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options

nope. if you are in a deficit your body will not hold onto fat. stress can have an effect but even with IF you have to watch your calories. you can still gain weight eating too much and one meal a day has no bearing on weight loss.many people here lose weight and only eat one meal a day. as long as you are getting your calories in thats all that matters.

This. Charlie and I butt heads about a lot of things, but I'm with her here. Whether its IF, Keto, Low carb, or any other such plan, you still have to watch what you're putting into your mouth. That was my first mistake with keto, the belief it was some cool thing that allowed you to eat as much as you want. you can't. Now there can be arguments as to what effect certain diets have on one's metabolism etc. But the bottom line is, you still have to watch your calories.

Having said all that, I still believe there is a such thing as good foods and bad foods if you're looking at overall health. I seriously considered IF, but really I like to nibble here and there throughout the day. I'm lucky that I can have two or three bites and be good for an hour.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Hi everyone im interested in this intermittent fasting, however i workout everyday. Weights/cardio. Im 5'2 and 63kg or around 120lbs i think. I feel sick from not eating and get light headed etc. But really want to lose the last of my body fat but keep my muscle. How do you all cope while working out?

Also i did a run on day 6km so i think that is around 3miles. I felt ok. Got home and was sick. Dont think i should do that again and that was first thing in the morning after a fasted dinner.

Also how many calories do you eat when your eating? Do you aim for the daily target or alot less? Feel free to add me

you should be aiming for what MFP gives you. if you want to lose fat and keep muscle get between 0.8 and 1g of protein per lb of body weight and keep a deficit. you dont need to fast to lose fat and it wont help to lose fat/weight any faster(unless you are seriously undereating which I do NOT recommend). its just a way of eating and can help most adhere to their deficit. you should never eat less than mfp gives you on a daily basis,unless under the care of a dr.that also means eating back 25-50% of your exercise calories.