Weightlifting and tendonitis

Options
asbandr
asbandr Posts: 39 Member
So I went to the dr yesterday after having tendonitis for a while. I updated him since the last time I saw him about my crps in my right knee (anyone else here have that?) and he went on and on about how well I was doing and how fit I looked and how he was glad that I could rebuild my right quad function even after it started to deteriorate from the crps. Then he told me to stop weightlifting. Wait... what??? He told me I could use machines but I should stop free weights from here on out. This seems to be the doctor's mantra anytime there's the slightest hint of strain. My chiropractor has been very supportive and encouraging about my weight lifting from the beginning, but this orthopedist seems to think I should do sit and be fit. My plan is to take the rest of the summer off to heal, and then if I am pain free then I figured I'd get a personal trainer to work with me on form and slowly getting back into weightlifting. Anyone gone back to lifting after tendonitis? Mine was in my elbows.

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    find a new doctor ?

it's like...... well

thats-just-like-your-opinion-man[1].gif
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple cases of tendonitis all over my body, it's just something you live with and manage after a while. It never really goes away it seems. It's not really even a big deal to be honest, you just can't let it get bad.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    asbandr wrote: »
    crps in my right knee (anyone else here have that?)

idk what it is. but from having rheumatoid arthritis i can say that the struggle is real, around getting people to take you seriously once they have that framework snapped into place around you.

idk. there's no way i'd tell you to ignore a doctor, but at the same time my slightly-cynical person experience with most 'health' people is that they're as blinkered as anyone else. in fact, many of them get so enamoured of the idea of programmes that were put together just for us 'types', that they almost shepherd us towards those special programmes rather than keeping their own minds open and seeing how much we can do.

it's frustrating. i personally wouldn't blank this guy's input immediately, but i would damn-sure make sure i asked him to explain to me WHY avoiding free weights and sticking to the machines would be good. it's always 'consider the source', but unless the source shows you their work you really don't have a lot to go by.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Interesting story ... my last doctor was once the medical director for the WWE when it was still WWF (early 2000's). I went to see him for some tendinitis in my chest. I gathered that my form needed tweaking. He mentioned that he was benching well into the 300's and had some experience with such things. He merely told me to use heat and ice and to rest. I kept things light for a while and have since recovered.

In your case, maybe there are some things with your form or grip that need a tiny amount of adjusting. Maybe your body's just learning to cope with all of your gainz. Whatever the issue turns out to be, I'm with DopeItUp ... you learn to live with and manage.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    LOL

Sorry but I something close happened to me. Doc saw I lost a bunch of weight. He was all pleased. Asked me how diet going. I let him know ok but really proud of getting close to 300 on deads at time. You could see his face change from pleasant happy to concerned in seconds.

I guess it's bad for obese male to lift heavy. Even if no pain, losing weight, gaining strength, and heart much healthier. My fat butt is only allowed to eat like a rabbit and walk I guess. Screw that noise.

After he went over all test and everything was good. He gave me ok to keep lifting but wanted a follow up a month earlier than normal. Im all for it, sure be safe doc, but if everything is green why worry more? *kitten* I'm healthier than I've been in 5 years and stronger than in 10. All because of RX barbell.
  • asbandr
    asbandr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not saying I'm disregarding my dr's advice. I get it, I have tendonitis and it's a result of poor form from a novice starting to lift. That's why I think if I get back into it I'll find someone who knows what they're doing to teach me the right way. But with all the doctors I've seen, and that's a lot, they all seem very anti- exercise. I can walk, sure, but anything else is taboo. I am a big believer that the body is far more capable to do big things than people think. But you have to take it easy and build up. I didn't do that very well and now I have tendonitis. But that's not to say I should never lift again, just do it right.
    Anyhow, lifting and building up my quad function has done a lot more for my crps (complex regional pain syndrome- my nerves in my right knee over reacted to a minor injury and now I have chronic pain but the injury is healed, to sum it up) than any of the remedies the 7 doctors I saw for the condition ever did. In fact I quit seeing the doctor because the only thing left they could recommend was a spinal cord stimulator. I happen to think a device surgically implanted in my body attached to my spinal cord is far more dangerous to me than a couple of dumb bells.
  • _BrewingAZ_
    _BrewingAZ_ Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had it in both of my elbows and had to give up lifting for awhile. DON'T try to push through it while lifting...it made it worse for me because I as the idiot who tried to push through and it took 8 months before I could lift again. And to add on the machine vs. free weights - machines aren't going to make you able to lift easier with your tendinitis. Those things will just end up injuring you down the road. Free weights are best!
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I think you are on the right path. Cut back on the lifts until tendon is a bit better. I would also consider finding a lifting coach. Not necessarily a personal trainer but someone who is known in area on proper lifting. They could also be a PT but the skill sets are slightly different IMHO. Even if you just have them teach you for couple of sessions and then go back to them every now and then to keep checking form.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I get tendonitis in my elbow on and off. Chin ups were aggravating the situation; PL coach told me to stop doing them. I stopped, and the situation improved. Aggravated my elbow again on a shoulder machine; PL coach told me to stop...I stopped and improved.

If you can pinpoint the movement/machine that is causing the problem...stop that and see if there is improvement. I wouldn't give up lifting completely, but you might need to make modifications.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Most doctors won't admit it, but they are perplexed on what to do with tendonitis. Their blanket answer is rest/ice which both are wrong if you are a lifter.

You have to find the reason behind why you are experiencing it and work around it or wits it to a extent.

From my experience it's from poor programming with too much volume, improper form, aging, work related, and unfortunately a autoimmune disease thst causes it.

There are definitely ways to work around/with it depending what location it is exactly. In your case a knee sleeve shoulf help keep the area warm and still be able to lift I would hazard.

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a Physical Therapist who can assess *your* personal strength, pain, mobility, recovery etc? That may be a good way to have someone assess what really is best for your specific issue measured by how much you improve in Physical Therapy with the OK to lift again coming from them based on the evaluation and re-evals.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'll mention that for me personally: when i do have something that feels irritated, machines are actually likely to make it worse. i find free weights more comfortable.

you could also look into various options for muscle release, especially art and pin-and-move techniques. not saying this is your case, but at one end of every tendon is a muscle, and something has to be contributing to keeping that tendon too tight. so for me, quite often a bit of anatomy research and some targeted myofascial release can give a little more slack to a tendon that's suffering.