So Much For Trying To Be Active...

Options
Hello!

My father was a heavy smoker when I was growing up, but my asthma really came into effect and fully blown on the 7th year of my own smoking habit.

I have since quit and it has been about two months since my last cigarette but I still find myself needing to use my inhaler every two days even without basic exercise or light activities.

The times when I convince myself to go to the gym, I am not only embarrassed by how I become drenched in sweat so easily but also in pain because my airways open up a little too much. Since I am allergic to every type of dust under the sun, I get harsh symptoms of EIR (Exercise Induced Rhinitis) and they can last for up to three days at times.

It sucks when simply running errands for the day makes me want to rush home so that I can lay down for five minutes and catch my breath.

Today I tried to take baby steps and decided to jump rope in the back yard, I used to be terrific at this when I was in grade school. Sadly, it was a fail because I had to sit down and gasp for air after every 10 seconds.

I'm beginning to feel defeated so I was wondering if anyone else has ever had similar issues. Do you have any helpful advice for me? What should I try next?

Thanks!

Replies

• hhua92
    hhua92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sak20011 wrote: »
    First of all, congratulations for quitting smoking. Secondly, I hope that you have a good allergist who is helpig you control the asthma symptoms. Thirdy, you have quit really recently. Your lung function will improve but it takes time--weeks to months just to *start* improving. Lastly, jumping ope is hardly 'baby steps,' it is a very challenging cardio exercise. I would start with walking or walking at an incline, biking or stationary bike, or elliptical, until you build up your cardiovascular strength. I would also not pursue high intensity work outs until you have worked up to a general level of cardiovascular fitness with more moderate exercise.

This might be of interest and encouragement too: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I watched that video on the bottom of that link as well and it was absolutely encouraging. Every day that passes lessens my cravings for cigs and I hope I can keep off of them forever.

Walking at an incline might be interesting, I will have to try it out.

Thanks!
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. I do a bodyweight program at home and biking. Don't really like the gym. Walking is good, too. Jumping rope is brutal. Find something you enjoy doing.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! quitting smoking is awesome.

It took my lungs around a year to feel fully 'recovered'. i.e I could swim again properly and do cardio without gasping after 5 mins. (I do not have asthma though)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    there are you tube videos that are walking workouts - why not try something like that? even just taking a walk outside? jumping rope might be too much too sooner, especially if it exacerbates your asthma
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, just take a walk. Then take another one. And another. And the next week make them a bit longer.

I started out completely and utterly out of shape (see pic in profile.) My first exercise was walking. Then I added bodyweight workouts. Later I added lifting. Small steps will move you forward and are less likely to leave you injured.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had exercise induced asthma, as well as allergies. My doctor had me take 2 puffs of my inhaler every day. After awhile, it was just 2 puffs before exercise. I counted taking a walk as exercise (because it is). It helped.

Have you been to the doctor since you quit smoking? Or since you started to go to the gym? If your daily errand running is causing you so much fatigue, you might need to switch to a different inhaler, or using one more often. It could be that an allergy medication plus an asthma medication would be recommended. I'm no doctor, so if I were you I'd check in with a professional.
  • bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I agree with walking. Use an app like Runkeeper to track your mileage and pace. You will see improvement over time which is motivational. If you are logging your food and exercise, Runkeeper syncs with MFP making it easy to track your exercise calories. Good luck!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not the same situation exactly, but the first time that I ever tried to start an exercise program and lose weight: I was quickly derailed. January 1 2003 I started eating low carb & riding an exercise bike every morning. January 19 2003 I was in a head on car collision which resulted in broken legs and a 3 week hospital stay. I recovered. It was slow at first and as my body healed and I did therapy, I quickly regained strength.

You will do the same. You quit smoking 2 months ago and this was a major win for your health and well being. Lungs do recover after you quit smoking but its not automatic. Frustration is normal if you dwell on the things you cannot do. Give yourself some credit for what you have accomplished. And hopefully, in time, your asthma symptoms will improve. If you have not discussed w/ your doctor lately, perhaps a visit would be a good idea? Perhaps a change to your medication now that you're no longer smoking would help.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Walking, elliptical, bike, or swimming?
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of "chair or seated" exercise programs out there. I have arthritis and a pinched siatic so I know how hard it is. Keep up with just walking or try a seated routine to start and work up to more.
  • suetour
    suetour Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    exercise bike, leisurely walk, stretching, crutches etc. You also make sure you see your doctor to approve any exercise before doing anything extreme.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Do you have an air filter for your home? I got a machine that filters air, and it made a huge difference for me. Try stationary bike, preferably in your own home if you can get hold of a bike - you can adjust the difficulty to what you can manage at any given moment, and when you're able, bike intervals can really improve your lung function.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I started with just walking. I was a 2-3 PAD smoker who had just quit when I started with all of this...walking was about the only thing I could really do initially. That was almost 5 years ago. I've gone from that to being an avid cycling enthusiast and Olympic lifting enthusiast...but it took tim.

Jump rope isn't baby steps...jump rope is a pretty hard core cardio workout...fitness is something that is built over time.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i also realised during today . . . when i quit smoking the last time, there was this period somewhere about a week after the quit where i sneezed non-stop for idk, two or three days. like, really non-stop. a sneeze practically with every breath.

it went away, so it could be your system is just very reactive to normal pollutants right now because your lungs are recovering and unusually sensitive. don't give up. and don't start again ;)