sub 1 lb weight loss?

Options
I don't log sub 1 lb weight loss. Sorry for the kg exchange. Do you people log it and why? Your am post potty break is the most accurate weight. I know I drink around 2 lbs of water the first hour I am awake. Your weight, depending on size, can vary several lbs throughout the day. Also if you are not loosing the 1-2 lb goal you are trying you should adjust diet and exercise accordingly. I was skeptical but if you follow the calories and are honest you WILL lose the 1-2 per week. Just adding my 2 cents. Always welcome new friends!

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Consistency is key. I log ALL weight measurements when they are taken. Your body naturally fluctuates (as you allude to) based on water, time of day, and all kinds of variables (even where your scale is placed). But you try to keep as many of those constant as possible. I log everything because if I gain or stay constant, I want to see my loss over time... by not logging I feel I "cheat myself" and basically ignore a week I WAS trying to lose weight... but this is all personal preference
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "sub" weight loss. If I didn't log each pound, I would never log, b/c I am only aiming to lose 10-15 lbs total and am doing it slowly, less than a pound a week.
  • kerlyp
    kerlyp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Best time to weigh yourself is when you wake up and have used the bathroom. If you do this everyday, it will give you a more accurate view of your weight.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "sub" weight loss. If I didn't log each pound, I would never log, b/c I am only aiming to lose 10-15 lbs total and am doing it slowly, less than a pound a week.

I think he means anything less than 1 pound, like .8 pound loss etc
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    My point is that this site is designed for a 1 or 2 lb weight lose. Each pound requires a 500 calorie pet day deficit. So what I am getting at is if you are loosing less than a lb then you aren't properly logging. Anyone who needs to lose weight can SAFELY lose 2 lbs per week.
  • sammys1girly
    Options
    My point is that this site is designed for a 1 or 2 lb weight lose. Each pound requires a 500 calorie pet day deficit. So what I am getting at is if you are loosing less than a lb then you aren't properly logging. Anyone who needs to lose weight can SAFELY lose 2 lbs per week.

Not sure what you mean by not properly logging? I am set up to lose .5 lb a week. So I log my food and exercise and lose about a half lb a week. Each person has different goals and mine is to tone and lose a few pounds, not overweight.
  • SheehyCFC
    Options
    Actually the site allows for 0.5 lb increments (from maintenance to 2.0lb/ max loss), AND you can even customize your goals (I am currently set at 0.8lbs/week because I am so close to my goal and want to minimize muscle loss and maximize fat loss). It really depends on your goals how you want to use the site... I would definitely say it is NOT safe for everyone to lose 2lbs/week - especially if they are small frame to begin with or have a small amount (<10-15lbs) to lose
  • sammys1girly
    Options
    Actually the site allows for 0.5 lb increments (from maintenance to 2.0lb/ max loss), AND you can even customize your goals (I am currently set at 0.8lbs/week because I am so close to my goal and want to minimize muscle loss and maximize fat loss). It really depends on your goals how you want to use the site... I would definitely say it is NOT safe for everyone to lose 2lbs/week - especially if they are small frame to begin with or have a small amount (<10-15lbs) to lose

Exactly :smile: If I lost 2 lbs a week. I'd be starving and way skinny, which isn't what I'm going for.
  • albinogorilla
    Options
    Maybe I am misinformed then. I was only given two options. 1 or 2 lbs. I round up. 225.6 =226 to me. My weight can vary 5 + lbs throughout the day.
  • SheehyCFC
    Options
    If you go to My Home -> Goals -> Change Goals -> Guided - at the bottom there is a "What is your goal?" section that should give a drop-down list including 6-7 things (0.5-2.0 loss, maintenance, or even gain).

For weighing yourself, whatever works for you is best - but MFP DOES allow decimals in weight, so I tend to include them (though the fluctuation in weight/scale means rounding up or down shouldn't make much of a difference).

Also, you are 100% correct in that your weight varies significantly throughout the day. That is why I said in my first post that consistency is key (time of day, location of scale, etc.). I personally agree with you that first thing in the morning (post-am bathroom break) works for me
  • albinogorilla
    Options
    Ok....I get it. This wasn't directed at you small girls that barely have anything left to lose...but more those that have over 100lbs to lose and are logging .5 lb losses which to me.....when you are over 200lbs means you need to change your habits, goals or logging. I personally do 2 lbs a week and am not horribly strict.....I log it all but routinely go a bit over. I also add muscle so for me a scale is virtually useless. I hate to see people rely on a scale when they are doing strength training.
  • sammys1girly
    Options
    Ok....I get it. This wasn't directed at you small girls that barely have anything left to lose...but more those that have over 100lbs to lose and are logging .5 lb losses which to me.....when you are over 200lbs means you need to change your habits, goals or logging. I personally do 2 lbs a week and am not horribly strict.....I log it all but routinely go a bit over. I also add muscle so for me a scale is virtually useless. I hate to see people rely on a scale when they are doing strength training.

I do quite a bit of strength training and really enjoy it. I don't get too hung up on the number on the scale, just try to get toned. and drop a couple of those "I just turned 40" pounds. :smile:
  • albinogorilla
    Options
    I want 6 pack and when I have it the number on that scale can be whatever it wants!
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I will remember the part about weighing in the morning. Thanks!
  • albinogorilla
    Options
    Case in point, yesterday, according to my digital scale, I was 225.6, today, after no water all night and a morning bathroom break, I was 223.4. Now this 2.2 lbs i lost in 24 hours is not fat. Its water and waste. And its important for people to realize how much your weight can really vary throughout the day for two reasons. One to accurately track your FAT loss. And two, to not get discouraged if they go up a pound because they weighed at a different time of day.