"You're tall. You don't want to get too skinny."

Options
124»

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    erienneb66 wrote: »
    I'm a smidge under 5'8" and once took a trip to Europe via China - when in Shanghai I was a giant, way taller than all women and most men. 12 hours later I was in Germany and felt like a midget with almost everyone towering over me. It was a very odd sensation.

I'm a 6' female and when I was in Shanghai people kept wanting to take pictures with me haha

They wanted pictures of me 'cause I'm Black. *shrug*

And me, because I'm a red head. Most bizarre was when they'd give me their children to pose with - these people didn't speak any English, communication was all by gesture, and they were giving me babies that were only a few months old to hold.

The funniest of all was when I was made to pose in front of a tour bus full of tourists in Beijing. Me, the giant ginger woman, with about 50 tiny, elderly Chinese people.
  • lvmycats
    lvmycats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm under 5' and heard this AND "you don't want to get too big" :| I just do me now
  • shelly_38
    shelly_38 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and currently 168 and a size 12. For me, the low 150's would be awesome -- where I was 18 years ago when I got married. This would be about a size 10. I would be very happy at that size! Hubby is 6'6" so I don't feel tall in my family... :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Is she concerned about this?

dmla4bohglhg.png
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Be whatever size/weight you want to be. Other people are not in charge of your life. The longer you live you'll find out that most things people say and do are stupid. In other words, they are not people to take advice from about your life.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yes I heard that the whole time I was losing weight... especially when my shape started to go. Lol I'm 5'8, 142lbs, size 2/4 on bottom and six on top now...Doing so much weight training has brought a nice shape to my "thinness" though; I'm a bit muscular now with some junk and I like it. Folks are used to the "new me" or the return to the prebabies me, since I've been small a while now.... sometimes it's just an adjustment phase family/friends go through... I mean outside of THEM being a bit bigger we were too and now we aren't....they'll adjust... in the mean time just Do You and what makes You feel comfortable. :-)
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    5'9" size 6 dress size sounds like a very healthy and sexy figure to aim for. If that's "your goal" then Why not?
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    People are used to looking at fat and don't know what a healthy weight looks like.

This. I'm not tall, but I recently saw this exchange amongst a group of people who insisted they would look completely skin and bones if they weren't overweight (or even obese). I used that group mentality to give myself permission to not lose weight for a LONG time. I had a friend (who is the same height as me) say she would look like an alien if she were a lower weight. I asked her if I looked like an alien and she shut up. Also, people don't seem to even know what a normal weight for their height is. She thought a normal weight for our height was 20 pounds lighter than what the top of a normal BMI range is. I would just ignore it.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" which I consider to be the lower end of the "tall" category for women. With my body type, I think I am too skinny looking below 150 pounds and it's not realistic. I think sometimes people are genuinely concerned about someone getting too skinny, because there are a lot of girls out there who have unrealistic expectations about their bodies. Some girls that are tall cannot get down to 140, even though they want a body like a super-model. The genetics just aren't there for most tall girls.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm verging on tall at 5'8" but the comments I get at times aren't height related. Instead it's "you have a thin face even when you're bigger so you can't lose more weight". People are so weird in the inappropriate stuff they say!
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I’m 5’9” and currently weighing in the 150s. My goal is to weigh in the 140s. That is the weight range that I’ve felt best at since I was about 30, (I’m 56 now).
    When I weigh in the 140s, I don’t get people telling me I’m too thin. I do get compliments. That is if you don’t count my overweight relatives.
    Once, when I got down in the 130s, several people told me to stop losing, including my husband.
    Everybody carries weight differently. I think where you carry your weight, bone structure, and where you lose it from the most all plays a part in how you look. I’d suggest you take photos of yourself every couple of months in the same clothes as you are losing. It’s easier to see what you really look like in a photo than in a self judging mirror.
    As far as what other people think, I’d consider the source and their motive.
    In my avatar photo, I weighed in the high 140s.
  • takemetosingapore19
    takemetosingapore19 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I'm 5'10" and 130lbs, 150lbs certainly did not look "too thin" on me (though the low 120's were getting there) when I was there. I honestly think a lot of these "tall women must be much heavier comparatively than their shorter counterparts" arguments spring from how normalized overweight and obesity is now.

Same stats! I’m def not too skinny. I’m 139 actually but my goal is 127ish
  • takemetosingapore19
    takemetosingapore19 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Color me the confused guy.

I guess 5'9" is considered tall in female circles.

Growing up, I knew some tall girls... 6'4"... and higher.

Once you’re over 5’8” you’re already taller than 95% of women.. at 5’9-5’10” that number jumps to taller than 97-98% of women.. so 5’9” is definitely tall (statistically). 6’4” is an outlier.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I'm 5'10" and 130lbs, 150lbs certainly did not look "too thin" on me (though the low 120's were getting there) when I was there. I honestly think a lot of these "tall women must be much heavier comparatively than their shorter counterparts" arguments spring from how normalized overweight and obesity is now.

Same stats! I’m def not too skinny. I’m 139 actually but my goal is 127ish

You don't think a goal BMI of 18.2 -- underweight, I might add -- is too skinny? And you think that a sub-20 BMI, where you are now, is anything that requires losing another 12 pounds?