weighing potatoes...

Options
should i weigh potatoes before or after baking? i just bake them with some salt and pepper.. but i noticed they weigh a lot less after baking.. when i search potatoes in the database, the weight and calories are the same for raw and baked. when should i weigh it?

Replies

• MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I would weigh it after I baked it, but make sure to log an entry that specifically said "baked" potato
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I weight them before and choose the entry for raw potatoes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    should i weigh potatoes before or after baking? i just bake them with some salt and pepper.. but i noticed they weigh a lot less after baking.. when i search potatoes in the database, the weight and calories are the same for raw and baked. when should i weigh it?

When you decide whether you're logging it raw or baked...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Before
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    They shouldn't be the same. 300g raw russet potato is 237 calories, 300g baked russet potato is 291.

Raw should be more accurate since you don't know for sure how much water is lost during cooking.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh after but that is because I often only eat part of one at a time. And I don't always eat the skin part (depends how I bake it and if it gets crunchy or not).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Use the usda entry for raw, and include the type of potato if possible.
    That is what I do anyway.

Cheers, h.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Could we please make this a sticky?

Weight EVERYTHING BEFORE its cooked / baked / roasted / boiled / poached etc. Weight EVERYTHING RAW.

Sounds good and in a perfect world.....
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Weight EVERYTHING BEFORE its cooked / baked / roasted / boiled / poached etc. Weight EVERYTHING RAW.

Love this idea but can I ask, does the calorie value not change during the cooking process?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Love this idea but can I ask, does the calorie value not change during the cooking process?

No. The weight does, because foods will lose or gain water. Something like bacon may lose a lot of fat... You can get the fatty goodness by cooking something else in it (like vegies... Yum!)