Cheese or No Cheese

Options
auntamama
auntamama Posts: 43 Member
I have been staying in my calorie range, but I do eat cheese. A friend suggested cutting cheese out of my diet completly, but I don't really want to, because I love it. I have alot to loose though, so wondering if any of you found it benificial to cut cheese out of your diet? I figured it was o.k., since I am going by calories, but wanted to know what works for others. And speaking of Diet, I don't mean like I'm on a diet, this is a lifestyle change, which is why I am more hesitant to give it up. I gave up Diet Coke this week, and it hasn't been that hard, although sounds really good right now, but hoping that will speed it up a bit.

Replies

• jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Depending on how much you eat. Do you portion it, if not, then try that for starters. If you do, then maybe cut the amount you are eating. Maybe have cheese every other day. Personally, I have cheese almost daily - as long as you go for light or low fat (NOT fat free) and you portion it, you should be OK. Remember it's dairy, and one of the recommended food groups.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do not cut out cheese but I do get the light and portion it out.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think that if you feel you are depriving yourself too much then you may not stick to the plan - that's certainly how I feel. I would rather eat cheese and walk an extra mile with my dogs to burn it off, than not eat cheese, feel miserable and deprived and give up! All about portion control - I do weigh it to make sure I'm within my cals as it is very easy to eat too much!
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    I could never give up cheese, I would be so unhappy thus making this pointless
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you eat. Do you portion it, if not, then try that for starters. If you do, then maybe cut the amount you are eating. Maybe have cheese every other day. Personally, I have cheese almost daily - as long as you go for light or low fat (NOT fat free) and you portion it, you should be OK. Remember it's dairy, and one of the recommended food groups.

Dairy might be one of the recommended food groups, but that does not mean it's good for you. Dairy is very bad for you and don't eat it because you think it's healthy. Eat it as a treat.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    MOAR Cheese.

Sorry, not really helpful. I could never give up cheese.
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    agreed with everything everyone says. I find it hard to consistently portion blocks of cheese without a scale, so I try to go for the laughing cow, or proportioned stuff. But seriously, I use a little bit of cheese in MOST of my meals.
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    When I want cheese I eat the sargento low fat cheese. I love cheese and dont want to give it up :)
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    i will not cut cheese ever. I'm a wisconsin girl. LOL
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I gave up dairy and my skin cleared up and my headaches went away. Can't say it had anything to do with weight loss as I still maintained a balanced diet with the same amount of calories.

If you are curious, give it up for a week or two and slowly add it back in. Of course you should replace those calories and fats with a healthy alternative, otherwise, you will seem to lose weight only because you cut cals, not because you cut a food. After the one or two week abstenance, slowly add it back little by little and see how you feel. That would be the truest way to know if you can go without or not.

Honestly, I don't miss it at all. Maybe on occasion, but I let myself have a little if I crave it. Usually I will get a headache or belly ache and that cures the next craving real quick. But everyone is different, what works for one, may not work for another. (And I should point out that I was quite the cheese addict before I gave up dairy. I really didn't think I could do it.)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Dairy might be one of the recommended food groups, but that does not mean it's good for you. Dairy is very bad for you and don't eat it because you think it's healthy. Eat it as a treat.

How is dairy bad for you!?

I eat drink full fat milk, eat full fat cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream and yogurt. Guess what, I am still losing weight.
  • KBomar2
    KBomar2 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Me either! I know I would cheat if I decided to give up cheese. I LOVE cheese!!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you'd rather do this in a way that you know you can live with forever (which I love, by the way)- and you know you love cheese so why cut it out? If anything, try going for low fat and/or low sodium versions and treat yourself now and then with the real stuff. I eat cheese every day on my sandwich and sometimes also have some with dinner and I've done pretty well.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Not sure if srs to be honest.
  • KylerHunter
    Options
    I'm a cheese fan myself. Portioning it out helps a lot (I'll swing between regular ol'cheese and fat free shredded cheese for my salads). Usually I cut portions in half or really make sure I'll be way under my calorie count that day if I get the craving. I think this applies to everything though. Keep track of what you're eating and then if you want to splurge once in a while it's okay. Personally I had a doughnut (oh my love Krispy Creme doughuts:love: ) for the first time in ages. I'll just know I'll have to work it off later. Moderation as they say.:happy:
  • auntamama
    auntamama Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good to see you are all cheesy:) Yes, I do portion it out, weigh it, or get pre portioned, and yes I use 2%. I have a serving once or twice a day. I am not a milk drinker either, so I was justifying it by needing it. I work out hard, and didn't think it was all that bad. Just really wondered if it would stall weight loss like my friend suggested. He is a health nut, and very fit, and gave up cheese for 3 years, but I agree, if I were to deprive myselft completly it would feel like a "diet", and I would surely give up at some point. Glad to see big weight loss numbers with you cheese eaters, so I know it can be done.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    I have had to cut cow milk products out of my diet completely because for some reason they cause me to have cystic acne, which is never fun bu a litle worse when you are 42 like me (UNFAIR to have wrinkles AND zits!!)

It was very difficult as I LOVE CHEESE but the pain and embarassment of the acne finally outweighed my cheese adoration.

I do think that it made it easier for me to lose weight, but I believe that is because cheese is calorically dense and I was probably underestimating portions. A little goes a long way. Taking that guesstimation out of the picture made it easier to keep an accurate calorie count.

Plus, a lot of my favorite temptations are cheese filled - pizza, lasagne, etc. So having a strict no dairy policy (I do eat a tiny bit of goat cheese, but infrequently) has made it easier to choose less caloric foods.

HTH!
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    I think that if you love cheese and that you are staying within your calorie ranges, you should eat your cheese and enjoy it.

If you are having trouble staying within your calorie range, cutting out cheese is a pretty easy way to cut back and make some room in your diet (I think.) A hamburger has less calories and fat than a cheeseburger, but can still be flavorful and good. A bowl of chili with cheese on top is delicious, but a bowl of chili without cheese is still pretty darn good. KWIM?

But again, if you aren't having trouble staying within your ranges, I say have your cheese and eat it too. ;)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Not sure if srs to be honest.

Oh, I think they are serious.... wrong, but serious.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    enjoy your cheese :smile: