Am I doing everything right?

Options
Hello! I'm new here, and I'm honestly looking for some desperate help.

I'm completely new to weight loss. I want to lose 40 - 60 pounds in about 6 months/ 1 year. I've tried multiple times to lose weight, but this time, I'm serious. I started this journey not only for myself, but also for my boyfriend. I've gained a insane amount of weight after he left, and next year, we are going to be together again. He will love me no matter what, but I want to love myself.

I currently weigh 210 pounds. I am 18 and 5,7. I ate junk constantly, drank no water, a ton of soda, milk, and paid no attention to eating anything healthy. Until roughly a month ago.

For the last month, I've been eating about 1,300-1,800 calories daily. I never starve myself. I eat every three hours, and more times than not, they're all full plates. I mostly eat chicken and a medley of vegetables, though switch my protein on occasion. I've given up soda completely. Although I still eat bread and potatoes, I eat much less than I used to. I've been trying my best to exercise 5 - 7 times a week. It's either for 23 minutes or 46 (recently only 23). I still eat chips, but I've gotten a brand that's much less fatty. I've replaced all my guilt food with healthier alternatives. And I've drank nothing but water and tea.

It's been nearly a month now. I've lost half an inch off my waist, but I'm still insanely scared. Will I see results even though now I'm slacking slightly? Will I reach my target weight by next year if I stick with this? I really need reassurance. Thank you so much!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You get the result that represents the effort you put in. If you want results, you need to make a consistent effort - its not easy, if it was, no one would struggle with weight issues.

Log correctly, using a scale for all solids, measure all liquids and make sure your entries are correct. Be strict, but not restricted - you don't have to live off meat and vegetables. (you do need fat, please don't cut it out!)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're mostly on the right track. You've made a lot of changes, and you're seeing some progress. That is good! You are trying to have a realistic approach: enjoying some things in moderation and finding replacements for others. That is good.

The only thing to be careful, I would say, is to try to not view food/nutrition/body emotionally. You're making a logical choice to be healthier and more fit and take better care of yourself. While that is great, food itself is not good or bad. Its simply fuel. You can still eat whatever you want, you just have to be aware of how it impacts your calorie needs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are eighteen and tried multiple times to lose weight I think there is more work to be done with your self image that has nothing to do with food, weight or current boyfriend status.

Could your physical activity be re-jigged to prepare for some sort of event or sport, like joining the astronaut program, running a tough mudder, or going on long romantic hikes with your boyfriend?
  • MiViVe
    MiViVe Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I would up your workout time, even if it means cutting to only 3-4 days a week. 23 minutes of exercise isn't a lot, and if you're going to get sweaty and spend the time getting into workout clothes, why not make it count?

HIIT is a great method that burns a lot of calories and is fairly easy. You can even start with 1 minute of intense workout (running, eliptical, rowing, whatever) and 4 minutes of rest if you want. Do that for an hour and you'll be shocked how many calories you burn.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mveinbroch wrote: »
    I would up your workout time, even if it means cutting to only 3-4 days a week. 23 minutes of exercise isn't a lot, and if you're going to get sweaty and spend the time getting into workout clothes, why not make it count?

HIIT is a great method that burns a lot of calories and is fairly easy. You can even start with 1 minute of intense workout (running, eliptical, rowing, whatever) and 4 minutes of rest if you want. Do that for an hour and you'll be shocked how many calories you burn.

HIIT isn't 'easy'....
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    You cannot tell. Life will happen, as it always happens. And your body will do its thing. Some months you will be totally on track and lose even more than you hoped for, others it will be a struggle or even a fail.
    Having a goal weight and a goal day is cool, but don't put too much emphasis on it. In the worst case the emotional stress that puts on you will make you do worse than you could.
    The world is not going to crumble down if you don't make your complete goal at the exact day. You can still go on losing after. And your boyfriend will compliment you for each and every lb lost. (Tell him from me he has to. It's crucial. A matter of life and death in fact. :# )
  • MiViVe
    MiViVe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    HIIT is incredibly easy. You don't have to full out sprint for that minute. You just have to push yourself. You know your own body. If pushing yourself is a light jog because you're out of shape, that's fine. The point is to raise your heart rate.

Plus it lets you do other things while on our rest period. I play my Switch or browse the internet while resting on the treadmill (a slightly brisk walk).
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Plug your stats into mfp. You could probably start at 2 pounds a week since you want to lose 40-60.

Eat what mfp gives you, not less, the deficit Is built in. The key is doing this consistently, every day over time. Not every day will be perfect.

The only thing to be careful, I would say, is to try to not view food/nutrition/body emotionally. You're making a logical choice to be healthier and more fit and take better care of yourself. While that is great, food itself is not good or bad. Its simply fuel. You can still eat whatever you want, you just have to be aware of how it impacts your calorie needs.

I agree with this!
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to read your post. But I will tell you that you can't do EVERYTHING right. It is impossible. Just do your BEST.
  • AgentPockie
    AgentPockie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If you are eighteen and tried multiple times to lose weight I think there is more work to be done with your self image that has nothing to do with food, weight or current boyfriend status.

Could your physical activity be re-jigged to prepare for some sort of event or sport, like joining the astronaut program, running a tough mudder, or going on long romantic hikes with your boyfriend?

Well, it is for an event, just I haven't specified. My boyfriend and I plan to go on a cruise, and he wants me to wear a bikini. As for my multiple attempts to lose weight, I did so very briefly and was no way emotionally ready to do so until now.

Thank you so much for your response, I did not expect to get so much feedback.