How to train for a 5K?

Options
Hi Everyone,

3 Times I have entered the Race For Life (Cancer Research) 5K and was proud of myself each time as I finished it, however I have never been able to jog the entire way. My time in walking fast pace and jogging is average of about 42mins, but I would really like to do it again next year but jogging the entire distance. My Sister in Law did it this year with her sister and they completed it in 26mins, I was really proud of them and also really jealous. They are slimmer than I am. I am on here to lose weight, that is my main goal but if I could train for this 5K at the same time I could achieve two goals in one shot. I just feel that at 200lbs I am too big to run.

If anyone has any advice on how to get started, I would really appreciate it.

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Couch To 5k program. It's easy, and available as an app on most smartphones.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    yes :) c25k! look it up.. im currently in week 2.. and if you have run before it should be a breeze until week 4 :)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Another for C25K, I'm on week 7 day 2.
  • spelman98
    spelman98 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is the best program out there. It helped me prepare for my first 5K last year and I ran the entire race.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I just feel that at 200lbs I am too big to run.

Nonsense. When I ran my first marathon, I was 220+. As summertime_girl said, C25K is a good place to start.
  • LyneaS
    LyneaS Posts: 22
    Options
    First of all, you are doing great so far!!! 42 minutes is very respectable! Try Hal Higdon's Novice 5K running plan. Good luck to you!!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Here is something a frined on FB posted today...

Run Injury Free with Jeff Galloway: Your Complete Running Resource. Marathon Training, Half Marathon
    www.jeffgalloway.com
    Run Injury Free - Your Complete Running Resources from Olympian Jeff Galloway

Looks very much like the Couch 2 5K program with intervals of running/jogging and walking

Good luck to you!!!!
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm another person who is recommneding the C25K app. datguy2011 I hear ya on the week 4 -- Tonight, I will run WK 4 Day 2 (I CAN do it).
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Definitely C25K. You can find the times here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml then, search around and you can download MP3s and Pocasts that have the run/walk alerts.

I finished it recently and ran my first 5K last Sunday, and I was NEVER a runner before this. Now, I am still slow, but I'm going back through the C25K plan running the whole time, but using the intervals for speed, so run/run faster instead of run/walk.

Good luck! Feel free to friend me if you'd like some support! :)
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    I also like the C25K. I'm only on week one but I feel that I'm getting better every time and it doesn't feel like torture (like I used to look at running) as much haha.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I started running on a treadmill. I put a towel over the timer part and ran until I felt like I needed to stop, then moved the towel and kept running for another minute (when I started out, "running" was at about 4.3 mph, haha). I gradually was able to run for longer and longer this way, as well as slowly increasing my run speed.

I think it was about 6 month after I started this that I ran my first 5k (I'd switched to running on the road at least a couple of times a week about a month before, I think, because it gives a different feel than a treadmill). About 2 months after that, I was actually able to complete a 10K! (I had been planning on it for a while, and was running longer than just the 5K for a little while, up to 10K about 2-3 weeks before the race).

But I have hear AMAZING things about C25K, too. It just wasn't around yet when I did this.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I just feel that at 200lbs I am too big to run.

Nonsense. When I ran my first marathon, I was 220+. As summertime_girl said, C25K is a good place to start.

Agreed. I started running at 240!
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I want to run a 7 minute mile one day.. and so I am working on the c25k program on my iphone.. I am starting slow and going to do week one until 6mph is comfortable for me.. Then moving to the next week.

and I am 230 :)
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Lots of practice! Aim 3 x a week. I did it all in gym on treadmill.

Start by walking for 2 mins running for 1 mins for 15 mins total. If you can do 1 walking to 1 running even better.
    Gradually over a number of weeks increase the length to 30 mins.
    And increase the running length and reduce the walking length with the goal of being able to run for 30 mins.
    Then you can work on edging the speed up!
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    Yet another voice for C25K; I just did Week 2, Day 2 today. Until I started C25K, I wasn't much of a runner - a decade ago I might've been one, lol.

I use the Podrunner Intervals available from http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html and Noom on my Android OS smart phone to track my location, speed, etc.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Im starting it as well. I'm in wk 1 and today will be day 2.
  • SDV219
    SDV219 Posts: 106
    Options
    Another fan of C25K. I just finished W1D1 and I'm 222! I had previously gotten to week 5 but let other things get in the way. So I'm starting fresh and taking it from here!! I too am getting ready for the Breast Cancer 5K that's coming up in my town soon!! Good luck to ya!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    C25k - it's awesome. I'm on week 6 day 2, and I love it. I'm totally hooked.

The app i use is 5k runner.
  • carousello
    carousello Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey check out C25K it's amazing!!!!!!! My sister started it have done NO exercise for years and years and she was about the same weight.... She is nearly done now and is jogging for 25mins straight. She surprises herself with every step! She also thought she was to big to run, but it is a great starter so go for it! You can totally do it!

Good luck!!!
    X
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I didn't use C25K but on my own (I didn't even know C25K existed) started walking and walking and walking. I just gradually built up over time without pushing myself too much (pushing myself, in the past, has led to quitting). I now can comfortably run 3K, 3X a week.

Debbie