help. everything is high in fat. protein where are you?

Options
bvcah
bvcah Posts: 7 Member
Newbie here in nutrition. looks like my choices are quite high in fats. Almond nuts, fish, avocado. aaahhh!!! need some suggestions for high protein and low fat foods. thaaankks!

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Chicken. Protein shake. Greek yogurt.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few posts specifically addressing different macronutrients with lists of foods - perhaps have a search!
  • richardbarkwaysmith
    richardbarkwaysmith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, ses seeds
  • HockeyGoalie35
    HockeyGoalie35 Posts: 84 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    8oz salmon is like 40g
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I continue to struggle with these things. Low fat dairy might help, but I know a lot of people can't stand it. Chicken. I initially objected to protein shakes, but a few weeks of fighting with my macros brought me around. I don't eat much fish, but some varieties are low fat, right?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How much fat and protein are you shooting for?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    bvcah wrote: »
    Newbie here in nutrition. looks like my choices are quite high in fats. Almond nuts, fish, avocado. aaahhh!!! need some suggestions for high protein and low fat foods. thaaankks!

The foods highest in protein yet lowest in calories are; white fish, egg whites, protein powder isolate, bone broth, lean chicken/turkey/ham, then fat free yogurt and cottage cheese. It drops off dramatically after that as far as the ratio. We all have to find FUN ways to eat that protein right?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Go to the store and buy a protein bar. Don't go cheap since you get what you pay for. If you like it eventually you can buy a protein powder to add to your daily routine to fill the protein "gap".
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Turkey, 90% or higher lean beef. Try making burgers with ground turkey, done right they are even better than beef. I'll take about a pound and a half of 97% lean ground turkey, add 2 eggs, about 30g of my favorite bbq rub, about a quarter cup or 1/3 of Italian bread crumbs, 1-2tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (2 tbsp makes them very moist), and make it into about 6 large patties. Place them on a small cookie sheet, put them in the freezer while you pre-heat the grill (because they will be softer than beef burgers, and you want to firm them up a bit), grill them on med-high heat until 165F in the center. Add your favorite BBQ sauce when they are near done. Very high protein, low calorie burgers. One of my favorites.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • bvcah
    edited July 2017
    Options
    thanks guys!!
  • bvcah
    Options

Im aiming to get 40% of my diet which MFP says 181g and Fat of 27g for the day. is that realistic?

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Im aiming to get 40% of my diet which MFP says 181g and Fat of 27g for the day. is that realistic?

That's really low fat. I'm 180 grams protein, 50 grams fat. What do you have for carbs?

You might double check your settings.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Fish isn't particularly high fat for the amount of protein you get? What are you aiming for?

(The foods I'd mention have been identified already: low fat dairy, especially cottage cheese or greek yogurt, lean meats, especially fish, turkey, chicken, but also lean beef and pork and game, eggs whites if you like them, although I prefer eating the whole eggs even if it's more calories, legumes.)
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    What kind of fish are you eating? The wild caught salmon I have in my freezer has only 1g of fat but 23g of protein for 4 ounces.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,778 Member
    Options
    This is what you're looking for, whether you realize it or not (link below).

It's a thread about an excellent spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency: Most protein for fewest calories.

Find things you like on the list, eat more of them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

And to think that was hiding right there in the MFP Food & Nutrition forum's "most helpful posts" list all this time. ;)

Might be some other good stuff in there, too. :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I'd probably drop your protein (calculate .8-1g per goal lean muscle mass) and up your fats - 27g is ridiculously low! I take in 70-90g a day - you need good dietary fats to help you

re: proteins that are low in fat - chicken, pork tenderloin, turkey, shrimp
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,778 Member
    Options

I'd probably drop your protein (calculate .8-1g per goal lean muscle mass) and up your fats - 27g is ridiculously low! I take in 70-90g a day - you need good dietary fats to help you

re: proteins that are low in fat - chicken, pork tenderloin, turkey, shrimp

Good catch, @deannalfisher!

OP, I like to keep fat around 0.35-0.45g per pound of healthy goal weight, minimum. You need it to absorb fat-soluble vitamins, to keep your excretory system working smoothly, to maintain a healthy hormone balance, . . . .
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Tuna
    Chia Seeds
    Egg Whites