Protein Powders- Plant or Whey protein?

Options
raven56706
raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
Which one do you like? are there advantages from one or the other?

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Whey seems to be a lot cheaper and taste better. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is my favorite.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've also found whey to taste better, especially once you've factors in cost.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    protein is just a supplement for me.

i dont really care about the costs just the one that has less artificial *kitten* in it
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have seen answers here such as "veggie protein makes me puke". I think it was related to pea proteins. Just in case you want to try that. As for added ingredients, careegenan makes some people sick. Here is a site that shows ingredients added to top selling powders http://nutritionbeast.com/2013/10/whey-protein-additives-ingredients/
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    All the plant proteins I've tried taste worse than whey and have a grittier texture that I don't like. I quit experimenting and just stick with whey.
  • amyjfitness_
    amyjfitness_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein from my protein and it tastes amazing and it helps heighten my protein intake
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I use both. Mainly whey, but I use pea protein in my waffles and hemp in one of my smoothie recipes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I need something that tastes good, so that cancels out plant protein powders :confounded:
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Make sure you check the amount of cholesterol in the Whey protein. I had a cyclist friend whose cholesterol went through the roof from whey protein powders.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Whey. I'm allergic to soy and hate pea.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Whey is often too sweet for me (in the wrong kind of way), but I rather have that than vegan ones I have tried (such as pea). I find it easier to drink whey when mixed with water rather than milk though. I would suggest whey - more options, cheaper etc.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I like them both and have tried them all. Quest is my favorite Whey, very sweet like dessert. PlantFusion Lean is IMO the best taste and texture for plant-based. Some are really awful!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If the plant based didn't contain spirulina and/or chlorella, I probably would use. Unfortunately, thanks to Vega One, I learned several years ago that both critters cause vomiting and...intestinal distress...for me. Like a bad cause of cholera, to play on words.

I also suspect a recent facial dermatitis allergic rash reaction I had was due to chia seeds (that and truffle oil were the only two things I ate that day I'd never eaten before and could find no anecdotes of truffle oil causing what I experienced), so I am avoiding chia for now too. Which is popping up in freaking everything, for the record. :\ Not in a rush to repeat the exposure and see if the same results happen as it was gross and took over a week to clear.

As such, stick to milk based as dairy has never done me wrong, casein/whey combo preferably. I keep looking at rice based but have not tried yet.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Plant based smells like fish food. The only way I could choke it down was with a lot of ice in a smoothie with a straw. Whey doesn't always taste good, but can be easily hidden in things like coffee.

If its just a supplement for you and you care not about the cost, and you want it to be fairly natural, why not just eat a lot of chicken or greek yogurt?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Whey concentrate is less expensive than other types and has more of the amino acid L-Leucine than plant-based powders - which is a key for efficient muscle protein synthesis.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Wow... a lot of hate on the plant protein. I couldn't digest whey very well and thought it tasted gross. I adore my Naturade pea protein (chocolate or vanilla). I'll admit, I'm not wild about the texture just blended with milk or something, but love it with a frozen banana. I just bought a 20 oz container on Amazon for $17.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    whey protein isolate is what i do. i'm lactose intolerant and this is 99% lactose free, has a good texture and flavor options.

As much as i would love for a plant based protein to blow me away all the ones i've tried have had problems that made them nearly inedible (from grainy/gritty texture to bad flavors to price to poor mixability). As a vegetarian who would love to support a plant-based protein powder.... i just can't lie and say they're just as good because they arent.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i've never found a plant-based protein i liked. hemp almost worked for me for a while, but the moment i looked away i lost the ability to tolerate it and never got it back.

i get whey isolate from canadianprotein.com. isolate because i'm lactose-intolerant, or i wouldn't bother
  • sydneyspann
    sydneyspann Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is better for building muscle than plant protein. I honestly only think you should use plant protein if you are vegan/vegetarian or cannot use whey