Options
    Aint nobody got time fo dat
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Aint nobody got time fo dat

Right?

I rarely wash anything. Fresh fruit, okay sure. But if it's a bag of lettuce or spinach...??? Get the hell outta here with that.
    My boyfriend always wants me to wash vegetables before I cook them. WHY??? I will be boiling all the germs off of them! A rinse in the sink won't do s***!
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    YUPPPPP. found a huge bug in a bag of spinach I bought once... after I was halfway through my salad.

But was the bug clean?

And whole? I don't mind finding a bug in my food. I do mind finding half a bug.

But . . . protein ;)?

Seriously, though - I rarely wash fruits/veggies. If there's obvious dirt on them, sure. Most veggies are getting peeled, anyway - why would I use two steps? Fruits - meh. I probably should rinse the berries and things that don't have peels, but I'm lazy. I've literally never washed bagged lettuce/ spinach, but I will rinse bunches of romaine and soak leeks.
  • leosmith66
    leosmith66 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's funny. Right after I posted this I washed a 1lb box of triple-washed organic spinach in my sink like I always do. There was a rather large root attached to one leaf, so I'm glad I did it. Thats one nice thing about washing in the sink - it's a chance to toss out the bad things. Also, I just wanted to point out that there have been studies that show rinsing gets more bacteria off than any other single way of washing.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I rarely wash any veg. Not dead yet...
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I only started washing spinach recently because I got bored of crunching bits of soil between my teeth. Otherwise I don't wash anything, waaaay too lazy for that. Also I figure a bit of a workout is good for the immune system. I also eat microwaved rice and chicken, and floor food (5 second rule obvs). I have literally never had food poisoning in my adult life.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    YUPPPPP. found a huge bug in a bag of spinach I bought once... after I was halfway through my salad.

Needless to say it gets triple washed by me as well, and now I'm super weird about Salads and actually rarely eat them. Hopefully Ill get over it though because I used to love salad :(

Time for a story. I found a clot of hair(!!!!!!) in my bagged spinach once... BUT NOT ONLY THAT. Oh no. Turns out, as I discovered a little later that day, at the nape of my neck, there was a missing hank of hair. So, somehow, the ONLY way these two variables are connected is the idea that my *kitten* housemate managed to cut off some of my hair whilst I was asleep and tossed it in my salad!

This idea seems kind of far-fetched until you realise she was batshit crazy, believed that you had to keep taps running to keep the 'water clean' (right ok), and, er, how else do you explain missing hair plus hair in the salad..?

Needless to say I always rinse my pre-washed salad now because the idea of finding ANYTHING in there just sets me off.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Does rinsing really get rid of stuff like e coli? I'm asking seriously because I never rinse already washed stuff because I figure the really bad germs aren't going to be rinsed away, but would require cooking to kill and I'm not cooking my strawberries or baby spinach (most times). There is not an ounce of scientific reasoning behind my doing this so if anyone could pipe in here, that would rock.

Edit: looks like it doesn't really matter: https://www.livescience.com/32250-does-washing-fruits-and-vegetables-make-them-safe.html
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Nah - I like to make sure my immune system is also getting a good workout. Oh yeah... and I'm super lazy.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Not me. From the beg into my pie hole. Sometimes a bowl and fork to run interference.

I hope I dont get in trouble for this but I though that said from the beg to my peehole. I was like what. I am tired and its early.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    No I don't wash mine but I do go through it for the little personally deemed inedible pieces :) My friend caught me doing this once and thought I was crazy but Oh-Well!