Too much protein?

Options
Every day I am under my calories/carbs/fat goals but, I am usually well over my protein goal. Will too much protein stop my weight loss?

Replies

• kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this is different for everyone, but I've heard that protein is really good for weight loss...I wouldn't worry unless its really fatty protein.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I don't think its possible to have TOO MUCH.... protein is good! It keeps you feeling full too.

I changed mine settings from the default since I think MFP is cmpletely backwards.
    Protein 45%, Carbs 25%, Fat 30% ... I track my protein, sugar, carbs, fat -- but some people track different things.
    Just customize it to fit YOU.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Too much protein will not stop weight loss. Eating a surplus of calories will stop your weight loss however.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If I had a nickel.....................

Protein settings on MFP are generally low. Higher protein is usually a good thing anyway and you should shoot for 1gram per 1pound of your body weight if you are working out. Protein is not something that will halt weight loss- in fact you need more of it to build & repair muscle which in turn burns fat.

I usually eat over 100grams/ day and I am still alive lol
  • jillwaller
    jillwaller Posts: 82
    Options
    Protein helps muscle definition, so as long as you're working out it's fine! It can help with weight loss. I think if all you ever had was protein and the numbers were way out of whack, like 90% protein, you would have a problem, but I'm usually over too. Protein is harder to burn off than fat or carbs, but generally it's all used up to create/repair muscles.
  • jennfisher13
    jennfisher13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It is not fatty protein at all. It is the lean meats that are causing the overage... Glad to know its nothing to worry about! I will happily continue to eat all my servings of lean meat and veggies then! <3
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Protein is pretty much the most important nutrient to get you lean and strong.
    You can't eat too much, excess is excreted in urine. Oh yeah, drink lots
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Complemented with lots of vegetables, fiber and water you should be fine as long as the number isn't astronomically high.
  • katedonn5
    katedonn5 Posts: 16
    Options
    Protein goes straight to your muscles so the more you workout, the more protein you need. This as apposed to carbs which turn into fat even if you exercise. This isn't to say you will get fat if you eat carbs, but carbs cling.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Protein goes straight to your muscles so the more you workout, the more protein you need. This as apposed to carbs which turn into fat even if you exercise. This isn't to say you will get fat if you eat carbs, but carbs cling.
    Sorry, but excessive protein calories will get stored as fat. Not all carbs turn into fat since it's first usually stored as glycogen in the liver and muscle cells.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

So wait you're saying that if I eat carbs they will turn into fat even if I'm eating a caloric deficit and get my protein minimums?

Isthisreallife?
  • jennfisher13
    jennfisher13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but excessive protein calories will get stored as fat. Not all carbs turn into fat since it's first usually stored as glycogen in the liver and muscle cells.
    I am usually over my protein by about 26 grams give or take a few. You have in your signature block you are a personal trainer with 28 years experiance. Should I be concerned? I do work out. For example today 30 minutes elliptical and and hour of Yoga. Tomorrow AM is a 3 mile run with my squadron. So in your professional opinion should I try to cut the protein to the recommended levels?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

I am usually over my protein by about 26 grams give or take a few. You have in your signature block you are a personal trainer with 28 years experiance. Should I be concerned? I do work out. For example today 30 minutes elliptical and and hour of Yoga. Tomorrow AM is a 3 mile run with my squadron. So in your professional opinion should I try to cut the protein to the recommended levels?
    Nah. If you're in calorie deficit and getting in your essential fats, minerals and nutrients, I wouldn't even worry. You're talking a "whopping" 104 calories of protein here.
    My recommended protein is 73 grams per dayaccording to MFP. I eat at least double that. Normally I've stayed at about 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight for the last 20 some odd years.