Type II Diabetes recipes?

Options
_pi3_
_pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
I'm not diabetic but my mother is. Me and bfs diet are kinda bad. Bacon, beef, egg yolks. Anyway is there any recipes that hubby will enjoy and be good for mom? Im not too picky, myself

Also explain to me why it's good for diabetes if you can. I'm not an expert on the whole diet thing. I know anything white is bad and .. that's about it

But I usually go for whole grain bread and whole grain pasta and brown rice anyway. I still haven't done anything with sweet potatoes though.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with bacon, beef or egg yolks?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A good source for what a healthy meal should be is the Healthy Eating Plate from Harvard's School of Public Health.

19sg6zr7ohbw.jpg

Generally, this diet is good for everyone, including those with Type II diabetes. The most important factor for weight loss and control of Type II diabetes is keeping calorie counts such that a healthy weight is maintained. For more information on diet and Type II diabetes, see https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007429.htm
  • _pi3_
    Options
    A good source for what a healthy meal should be is the Healthy Eating Plate from Harvard's School of Public Health.

19sg6zr7ohbw.jpg

Generally, this diet is good for everyone, including those with Type II diabetes. The most important factor for weight loss and control of Type II diabetes is keeping calorie counts such that a healthy weight is maintained. For more information on diet and Type II diabetes, see https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007429.htm

Thanks
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you all can enjoy many of the same foods it's just that you will be portioning it differently. The Harvard plate is a good example.

Here's my favourite.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/

I suggest you all add more vegetables to your diet, taking up as much as half your plate.

Mom can skip sugar laden desserts. An apple is better for her.
  • _pi3_
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think you all can enjoy many of the same foods it's just that you will be portioning it differently. The Harvard plate is a good example.

Here's my favourite.

I suggest you all add more vegetables to your diet, taking up as much as half your plate.

That's her worse enemy I swear
  • _pi3_
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Here's my favourite.

I like that thanks
  • suetour
    suetour Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had diabetes during pregnancy and diabetes in my family. So I am always watching carbs. The rule understand is to stick 150 carbs per day total. Also because heart diabetics till to have high pressure you stick lower fat content in food ie lean meats, etc. Also fruits should be eaten measured and juice should be avoided. There are lots of good desserts such 5 calorie jello, lo fat whipped cream, flan cake with unsweetened pineapple drained you add whipped topping or no sugar yogurt. Watch carrots, corn, peas, these veggies have higher sugar content.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Bacon, beef, and eggs are perfect for diabetes. Carbs convert to glucose quickly and in large amounts. This might be ok for healthy people, but diabetics have challenges dealing with glucose spikes. This is why it is best for diabetics to avoid starchy vegetables (i.e. potatoes, corn/rice/other grains, legumes/beans), fruits, and products made from these things (cake, donuts, bread, french fries, etc.). Instead, diabetics will find they do much better when eating mostly fat and protein. Stick with the bacon, beef, and eggs; but leave the buns off of your burgers and don't eat pancakes with your bacon and eggs.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with bacon, beef or egg yolks?
    I love them?
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bacon, beef, and eggs are perfect for diabetes. Carbs convert to glucose quickly and in large amounts. This might be ok for healthy people, but diabetics have challenges dealing with glucose spikes. This is why it is best for diabetics to avoid starchy vegetables (i.e. potatoes, corn/rice/other grains, legumes/beans), fruits, and products made from these things (cake, donuts, bread, french fries, etc.). Instead, diabetics will find they do much better when eating mostly fat and protein. Stick with the bacon, beef, and eggs; but leave the buns off of your burgers and don't eat pancakes with your bacon and eggs.

type 2 diabetes is also link with cardiovascular disease and kidney issues. I think it is ok to eat at times bacon and highly fat foods, but it is important to consume healthy types of protein(lean meats). Turkey bacon it is really good I buy the oscar Meyer with no nitrates. I am also a diabetic and eating eggs are great.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

type 2 diabetes is also link with cardiovascular disease and kidney issues. I think it is ok to eat at times bacon and highly fat foods, but it is important to consume healthy types of protein(lean meats). Turkey bacon it is really good I buy the oscar Meyer with no nitrates. I am also a diabetic and eating eggs are great.

Fat is the best macro for BG, so eating low fat as a diabetic just does not make any sense.
  • _pi3_
    Options
    Thanks for the help