Gluten Free diet

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    To add onto the conversation, has anyone been absolutely shocked to find gluten in something they weren't expecting to find gluten in? For example, I had no idea that the pre-made spice flavor packages (I.E. McCormick fajita seasoning) would have gluten until I happened to see a spice flavor package in the gluten free aisle at the grocery store with big bold "gluten free fajita seasoning" written on the packaging!

Another example of a place I wasn't expecting to find gluten was in imitation crab meat. I just happened to give the ingredient list a glance and was shocked to see wheat flour on the list.

Anyone else have any surprises to share? As someone only a year or so into this lifestyle, I find that I still have reactions sometimes and cannot target the culprit.

Worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, Pringles, Twizzlers.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    To add onto the conversation, has anyone been absolutely shocked to find gluten in something they weren't expecting to find gluten in?

1. oil - I started reacting to ALL my oils, and couldn't figure out what was going on. Turned out, the oil company processed cold pressed wheat germ oil on the same lines and it was cross contaminating the other oils (they have since stopped, and I can now tolerate the oils, thankfully).
    2. Tea - some herbal teas had barley or gluten contaminated oats as ingredients.
    3. Cheese - found some 'beer/ale washed cheese' that would have done me in if I hadn't paid attention. Also some artisan bleu cheese whose source for the blue mold was bready products, and gluten was still present (most cheaper ones use lab created mold that has no gluten source, but ANY blue mold type cheese can potentially have gluten contamination if it doesn't specifically say 'gluten free,' and should be checked).
    4. liquid probiotics - some of them use a barley based medium to grow the bacteria in and are contaminated.
    5. yogurt and flavored milks- barley based natural flavorings
    6. chocolates - barley based natural flavorings
    7. Medication and vitamins - gluten grain starches used as fillers
    8. dried fruit, nuts, and seeds - VERY commonly processed on machinery that also processes wheat, for some reason (sometimes a problem with legumes as well).
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Okay, as for tips.
    1. For gluten free baking, best tip I ever heard - it is helpful to remember that when we say gluten free 'baking,' it's not baking in the sense of 'baking pastries, pies, and cookies.' It's baking in the sense of 'you are using an oven.' Or in other words, all the general knowledge about how baking 'works' is no longer going to apply - what color things are, how much they should rise, how thin or thick batter and dough should be, how soft or hard they are when hot and judging how that translates to cool texture...just nothing. These are completely different ingredients that react to each other in different ways than wheat, so when you cook, it's good to learn how THESE ingredients react in the oven. It helps to avoid screwing up your baked goods because you are assessing them using incorrect wheat standards, you know?

2. For taking food with you when you go out - bento boxes were a life saver. Japanese lunch boxes that are both lunch box and plate. Can find ones that have little specialized bags to carry in, or built in recesses for utensils/napkins, etc... Bentos for liquids or solids, in plastics or metal or wood - just really versatile. Recipes are VERY frequently gluten free as long as you get GF soy sauce (and GF soy sauce is actually essentially the fancier soy sauce that used to be made before wheat was added as a cheap filler, so for once, a GF alternative is better than the original gluten version, LOL). And the recipes can be very pretty, very healthy - lots of veg and grains, plus some protein. Here's some neat links for the boxes and a few recipes.

some basic recipes - http://justbento.com/recipes
    for buying bentos and accessories - https://en.bentoandco.com/collections/boxes-by-popularity
    And for fun, a list of just how amazing these things can get!
    http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/creative-and-interesting-bento-boxes/

3. If you are not fully gluten free, finding recipes you LIKE and adding those in a little at a time, until you have a fully GF meal plan using recipes you like, can make it feel a bit less onerous. If you are GF immediately, I'd just start with maybe 2-3 days a week to make some GF recipes as an experiment, and the rest of the time you can do plainer fare that will keep you going, like plain fruits and veggies, eggs, a few GF crackers and peanut butter or cream cheese, that sort of thing, you know? Trying to make new meals every night can really wear you down, especially if a lot of them don't turn out right - feels like a lot of constant effort for not enough reward, basically.

4. IMHO, if you start looking for more recipes that are naturally gluten free, and always have been, the food is better. Substitutions so frequently just don't taste as good as the original - it's like you are taunting yourself with what you used to eat. If you go mostly non-gluten recipes, and then every once in a while indulge in gluten subs as a snack or nostalgia thing, I think it does better, honestly. On your pocketbook, too!

So places I went to find GF foods that were naturally GF - lots of Asian cuisine, some Indian cuisine, a lot more veggie recipes, some recipes from various places in Africa, and some corn based recipes from Mexico and south america. If you are not too sensitive, stir fries and tofu dishes can be great, Venezuelan Arepas seem amazing, tamales are great, French Socca bread is a chickpea based flatbread, Injera bread is an Ethiopian fermented flatbread that is shaped like a crepe but is a bit like sourdough, and used to wrap up savory meat and lentil dishes (the last one, you have to make yourself with traditional recipes as modern ones often add wheat). Also homemade falafel and hummus can be made gluten free and is great, too.

wishing you good luck1
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    To add onto the conversation, has anyone been absolutely shocked to find gluten in something they weren't expecting to find gluten in? For example, I had no idea that the pre-made spice flavor packages (I.E. McCormick fajita seasoning) would have gluten until I happened to see a spice flavor package in the gluten free aisle at the grocery store with big bold "gluten free fajita seasoning" written on the packaging!

Another example of a place I wasn't expecting to find gluten was in imitation crab meat. I just happened to give the ingredient list a glance and was shocked to see wheat flour on the list.

Anyone else have any surprises to share? As someone only a year or so into this lifestyle, I find that I still have reactions sometimes and cannot target the culprit.

Haribo gummy bears. I got a bag for free from Kroger last friday and was really surprised that they used dextrose derived from wheat in them. I had thought that most dextrose was usually derived from corn nowadays.
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    These are great tips and I will be sure to look at the websites you guys added. I also cannot have dairy anymore. I hope it is just a short time and when my stomach heals I will be able to have it again. I am not diagnosed with celiac and my doctor is very careful with the words intolerant and sensitive. I myself am going to go with sensitive. I am from Canada. I have had many days of contamination since I started going gluten free but am starting to get the hang of it. I made homemade chicken nuggets, fingers and burgers and also made my own tacos last night since store bought seasonings have wheat in them. It is starting to get better but I really want to go out to eat but I am afraid too especially now that I cannot eat dairy anymore.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    surprising products (to me) with gluten in them:

canned baked beans
    dry dressing packets (the Hidden Valley Ranch ones are GF)
    imitation crab
    licorice
    lite Miracle Whip...regular MW is GF.
    BBQ sauce (i use Stubbs, which is GF)
    many ice creams have gluten...thank goodness Halo Top has a bunch of GF varieties!
    canned soups
    sauces (soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, basically you have to be hyper vigilant of any sauce)

i'm sure there are more i'm not thinking of. i'm often surprised when i end up in the bathroom after what i thought was a safe meal.
  • Notsohot7
    Notsohot7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm officially 10 days in my gluten detox.

It has been tough...the detox causing the headache, no sleep, etc....(but nothing compared to how ill I was eating gluten though)......plus the frustration and confusion of finding new foods in our large supermarket.....and on a budget too.

It has been a crazy 10 days, getting to grips and developing a new required taste, lol....still not keen on GF bread but then like most GF foods so high in calories......I make most meals from scratch and if I'm lazy I buy a low fat GF meal, suprised me how delicious too..... I'm eating more healthier now than I've ever eaten....so hoping to get back to a healthy weight

My children eat wheat so it's a challenge with cross contamination. The transition is getting easier with each day, I'll get there. And so will you too
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Notsohot7 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm officially 10 days in my gluten detox.

It has been tough...the detox causing the headache, no sleep, etc....(but nothing compared to how ill I was eating gluten though)......plus the frustration and confusion of finding new foods in our large supermarket.....and on a budget too.

It has been a crazy 10 days, getting to grips and developing a new required taste, lol....still not keen on GF bread but then like most GF foods so high in calories......I make most meals from scratch and if I'm lazy I buy a low fat GF meal, suprised me how delicious too..... I'm eating more healthier now than I've ever eaten....so hoping to get back to a healthy weight

My children eat wheat so it's a challenge with cross contamination. The transition is getting easier with each day, I'll get there. And so will you too

No such thing as "gluten detox".
  • abungay
    Options
    cariduttry wrote: »
    surprising products (to me) with gluten in them:

canned baked beans
    dry dressing packets (the Hidden Valley Ranch ones are GF)
    imitation crab
    licorice
    lite Miracle Whip...regular MW is GF.
    BBQ sauce (i use Stubbs, which is GF)
    many ice creams have gluten...thank goodness Halo Top has a bunch of GF varieties!
    canned soups
    sauces (soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, basically you have to be hyper vigilant of any sauce)

i'm sure there are more i'm not thinking of. i'm often surprised when i end up in the bathroom after what i thought was a safe meal.

OMG I know right. I have been wanting tomato soup for a while now but I can't just have the can stuff anymore. I just need to find a good and easy recipe and a weekend to try it out. I use Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce which is also gluten free. I cannot eat ice cream anymore because of dairy but I do have some coconut ice cream which is okay but I eat mostly Popsicles now. I did not know about the bean and will not have to check the cans I have in the pantry. I have been learning to check everything in the grocery store before I buy it because I have brought home too many sauces to later find out I cannot have them. Such as waste of money!
  • craftedbydesign
    craftedbydesign Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You can do this! I have been gluten free for over 10 years due to celiac. Just keep in mind that many processed foods that come in a box or a jar can contain hidden gluten. It's always best to eat a whole-food diet consisting of meats, vegetables, and fruits. Some of the hidden things to watch for are vinegars, as these are many times derived from wheat. Many catchups contain vinegar as well as hidden gluten. Be kind to yourself. This is a new road and you will learn a lot along the way. You can do this! Two of the most common things that celiac patients are allergic to our maltodextrin and carrageenan. You might want to keep an eye out for these in anything you purchase from a box, a jar, etc... Good luck!!!!
  • abungay
    Options
    You can do this! I have been gluten free for over 10 years due to celiac. Just keep in mind that many processed foods that come in a box or a jar can contain hidden gluten. It's always best to eat a whole-food diet consisting of meats, vegetables, and fruits. Some of the hidden things to watch for are vinegars, as these are many times derived from wheat. Many catchups contain vinegar as well as hidden gluten. Be kind to yourself. This is a new road and you will learn a lot along the way. You can do this! Two of the most common things that celiac patients are allergic to our maltodextrin and carrageenan. You might want to keep an eye out for these in anything you purchase from a box, a jar, etc... Good luck!!!!

Thanks for your contribution, I will keep an eye out for maltodextrin and carrageenan. Actually I believe I have reacted to carrageenan long before I stopped gluten. A few years ago I went to a sushi place (the only time I have ever eaten it) and had a vegan roll (I couldn't get over the raw fish part) and I was the only person at our table that got very sick, and it the symptoms were that of an allergic reaction. I then ate some seaweed chips a few years later and got sick again.

I realized the processed food very quickly and started making my own meals but again I have been eating the same 3 meals everyday for the last 2 months, I really need to pick up a GF cookbook and try some new recipes. Though I did make my own chicken nuggets and even if I could , I don't think I would ever go back to eating McDonald's nuggets ever again.